Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Yes Album (HDtracks)

The Yes Album (HDtracks)

Best. Version. Ever.

I guess those who like the MFSL CD will have to argue that yet another version did not do the tape transfer correctly, as this is more dynamic than the Mofi. Sure seems like the Mofi is the "odd man out" although it does sound similar to the Gastwirt remaster.

Anyway ... the tonality balance on the HDtracks download is absolutely perfect to my ears. The dynamics seem to be fully intact, it just sounds incredible.

Listening, I am inclined to believe that this was a flat transfer from the analog master tape; as advertised.

Which version do you download- AIFF , ALAC, FLAC or WAVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Which version do you download- AIFF , ALAC, FLAC or WAVE?
    I download the .wav files.

But only because I prefer to make my own FLAC files for storage; knowing that they will be encoded at Level 8.

Is Yes recognizing these new remasters anywhere? It almost seems they are oblivious to them except maybe the Hoffman CTTE.

HD Tracks is really an anomaly. It is not your typical iTunes/Amazon MP3 product. It is not an easy product to market because many people simply do not have what is required to fully enjoy these high def files. What is necessary:
    1. Lots of hard drive space - a 96/24 album is typically 1.25G in wave.
    2. Players - they do carry AIFF for iTunes, but very few players handle 96/24 wave files. Those that do (like Winamp) require plug-ins that are sometimes difficult to install.
    3. Quality sound access for digital files - this is the toughest. Most people do not have an easy way to play digital files on their best stereo or home theater. The wireless solutions for connectivity have frequency and performance limitations that defeat the purpose of using high def digital files. As far as I can see, the only truly practical solutions are running a RCA or HDMI cable from a desktop, or using either memory sticks or external hard drives and put up with tedious track selection/navigation. After trying out the Apple Airport Express, I finally decided the low tech method of a 25' RCA cable was the only truly practical way to go.
    I sometimes laugh when I choose "AUX" on my receiver to play these files. Back when I had my first hi-fi, I would use "AUX" for a second (cheaper) cassette deck.

HD Tracks is primarily marketed through email. I suspect they buy a number of email lists from other companies that specialize in serving audiophiles. It is definitely a niche market similar to 5.1 recordings.

I suspect (but can't be absolutely certain) HD Tracks pays a one time fee for these masters. I doubt they are a large enough company to handle the accounting nightmares that go along with doling out residuals. This would probably explain why Yes is not spending any time promoting the HD Tracks files.
    Last edited by Jubal; 03-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Interesting - one of my favourite records so I must check this out. Have to say I'm perfectly happy so far with my '90s remaster version, though.

I've got from 3 to 6 different versions of these three albums already - enuff

Pass

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I've got from 3 to 6 different versions of these three albums already - enuff

Pass

BG
    I know the feeling. Atlantic, Rhino, Japanese HDCD, MFSL, Analogue Productions, Friday Music, Audio Fidelity, etc. I am quite sure this would not be the last one we see.

1. Lots of hard drive space - a 96/24 album is typically 1.25G in wave.
    Why would someone with hard drive space concerns store their downloads as waves?

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I know the feeling. Atlantic, Rhino, Japanese HDCD, MFSL, Analogue Productions, Friday Music, Audio Fidelity, etc. I am quite sure this would not be the last one we see.
    HDtracks states that their version is a flat transfer right from the analog master tape. If someone told me he could make me a copy of the master tape to The Yes Album, I'd pay $20 for it even if the copy I got was a cassette tape, let alone in hi-res. I guess I feel strongly enough about this album where something like that has great value.

To me this reissue is a no-brainer. If I had all those other versions I'd just throw them up on eBay and probably come out ahead. Burn the new version to a CDR or DVDR, and throw it in with the original Atlantic CD of the Rhino CD if you want the bonus tracks. Crap like the Japanese HDCD isn't even worthy of collecting unless one has a desire to own every CD version of this album ever released, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    HDtracks states that their version is a flat transfer right from the analog master tape. If someone told me he could make me a copy of the master tape to The Yes Album, I'd pay $20 for it even if the copy I got was a cassette tape, let alone in hi-res. I guess I feel strongly enough about this album where something like that has great value.

To me this reissue is a no-brainer. If I had all those other versions I'd just throw them up on eBay and probably come out ahead. Burn the new version to a CDR or DVDR, and throw it in with the original Atlantic CD of the Rhino CD if you want the bonus tracks. Crap like the Japanese HDCD isn't even worthy of collecting unless one has a desire to own every CD version of this album ever released, IMO.
    Don't get me wrong, I am glad that it is a better version than earlier "remasters" or reissues. I might bite at some point in the future, but I am kind of burned with remasters and reissues at this moment.

Why would someone with hard drive space concerns store their downloads as waves?
    Are we talking about music or surfing?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that it is a better version than earlier "remasters" or reissues. I might bite at some point in the future, but I am kind of burned with remasters and reissues at this moment.
    That's the disservice the industry has done by enabling albums to be reissued again and again. Many of us get "burned out."

But for me, the point is the same. Twenty bucks for a copy of the master tape to one of the great albums in "prog" history is a must buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Is Yes recognizing these new remasters anywhere? It almost seems they are oblivious to them except maybe the Hoffman CTTE.
    The HDtracks download was described on the band's official web presences.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Jeff,
    Because I don't believe anything with any type of compression scheme can sound as good as a wide open wave file. I still have plenty of hard drive space. I am selective about what I store in wave, as I am selective about what I purchase for high def.
    I would guess at least 90% of my digital files are 320K mp3s. I have the CDs for when I want to hear them in better quality.

Jeff,
    Because I don't believe anything with any type of compression scheme can sound as good as a wide open wave file. I still have plenty of hard drive space. I am selective about what I store in wave, as I am selective about what I purchase for high def.
    I would guess at least 90% of my digital files are 320K mp3s. I have the CDs for when I want to hear them in better quality.
    You could save it in FLAC or ALAC and uncompress it to WAV or AIFF when you are going to play it or burn it on a CD.

You could save it in FLAC or ALAC and uncompress it to WAV or AIFF when you are going to play it or burn it on a CD.
    I would just go with .ZIP or .RAR in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I would just go with .ZIP or .RAR in that case...
    That is an excellent idea.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I just recently bought a 2TB portable WD hard drive to solely dedicate to hi-res music. I've acquired a decent amount of 24/96 vinyl rips. I even got a 24/192 version of APP "Eye in the Sky". Though it sounds amazing, my extraction and subsequent FLAC/Cue processing from the raw files is less than perfect.
    Chad

Jeff,
    I don't mean for playback. You can obviously decode them for playback or burning to CDR/DVDR.

Also, you know about memory sticks, right? Kind of odd to hear someone complain about FLAC on one hand, then saying that 90% of his files are in 320k on the other. If your hard drive can't handle your needs, spend like twenty bucks and get a 32GB memory stick.

lost on a .wav, and then after...

Jeff,
    I have about 8 flash drives. I do use them for portable playback. Basically, I am referring to permanent storage. I have a desktop with a Terrabyte internal drive, and also two external 1Tbs in heavy duty cases. I'm not complaining about HD space myself, because I believe it is relatively cheap and I don't have issues adding a few more external HDs to my desktop.
    I have a little GoGear cube on my desk at work that will play flash drives or connect to my portable MP3 player via mini cable. I also have a flash drive input on the stereo in one of my vans.
    I simply keep my higher priority files in wav on my desktop PC's primary external music hard drive. It's very easy to play them on my main system that way; much easier than burning a CD and trying to locate it when I want to hear a high end file.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    lost on a .wav, and then after...
    This made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    I've acquired a decent amount of 24/96 vinyl rips.
    Ah, snaps, crackles & surface noise in perfect fidelity. Bliss!
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp
    Cheaper than putting out new music. Plus, nobody knows how to play instruments anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Ah, snaps, crackles & surface noise in perfect fidelity.
    New or properly cleaned, minty vinyl with some simple click removal can sound almost as "clean" as a CD.

Some rippers prefer to rip w/o any click removal to retain as much resolution as digital can handle, but those are probably best left for people far less obsessed with surface noise.