Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Frank Zappa - Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    This exactly how I feel about FZ. Chris was a big fan and we discussed his music at great length. I like the instrumental stuff a lot and wish that his vocal output didn't define him as an artist.
    Does it though? Maybe to causal listeners, but from what I've seen (which admittedly is small) the people that really acknowledge his impact always focus on the instrumental/music side and not the lyrics.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Also, I love doo-wop in general, and enjoyed when Frank played that stuff. You could tell he had a real fondness for it.
    And yet he felt compelled to insult Culture Club, Devo and Scorpions on Does Humor Belong In Music.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And yet he felt compelled to insult Culture Club, Devo and Scorpions on Does Humor Belong In Music.
    Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. People in this thread felt compelled to dismiss Frank’s music as ‘stuff for 9-year-olds’, after all.

Personally I’ve never cared much for the Scorpions or Culture Club (with the exception of “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me”). Devo had some all right stuff though.
    Last edited by aith01; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:33 PM.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I’ve never cared much for the Scorpions
    You ever heard really early Scorpions? Check out Lonesome Crow, they were not far off from Krautrock bands of the day.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. People in this thread felt compelled to dismiss Frank’s music as ‘stuff for 9-year-olds’, after all.
    And my opinion is no one who's that deep into doo wop music that he's doing covers of obscure songs most other people don't remember have no business insulting Scorpions (note the absence of the definite article) or Culture Club or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Does it though? Maybe to causal listeners, but from what I've seen (which admittedly is small) the people that really acknowledge his impact always focus on the instrumental/music side and not the lyrics.
    For what's it worth, I know one progressive rock fan, who went to NEARfest and ROSfest multiple times, who said she was so offended by Catholic Girls (herself being a Catholic Girl) that she never bothered checking out any of his other records. So I think even the minds of adventurous music listeners, Frank is kind of, and maybe unfairly, defined by his idiotic comedy routines.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You ever heard really early Scorpions? Check out Lonesome Crow, they were not far off from Krautrock bands of the day.
    Interesting, I had no idea. All I've heard was what my parents played or what came on the radio (stuff like "Winds of Change" or "Rock You Like A Hurricane"). Not saying they were "bad", but just not something I ever enjoyed and seemed to epitomize what I didn't like about popular rock music of that era. But I haven't heard their early stuff, so I'll check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

And my opinion is no one who's that deep into doo wop music that he's doing covers of obscure songs most other people don't remember have no business insulting Scorpions (note the absence of the definite article) or Culture Club or anyone else.
    Not a fan of doo wop I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have two copies of 200 Motels on vinyl and the fatboy Ryko CD, and the only thing I really care for is Strictly Genteel.
    Really? I love She Painted Up Her Face/Half a Dozen/Shove It Right In. Great suite of songs (if you bypass the short pieces in between) and fairly proggy. And for good rock songs there's What Will This Evening and Magic Fingers.

I fail to see any way that the second half of that sentence follows from the first half. How does a fondness for any type of music disqualify anybody from criticizing any other type of music? I enjoy doo-wop myself, though I'm not a fiend for it like FZ was, and I also find the Scorps eminently make-funnable--not only for the lunkheaded Neanderthal-rock of the specific song that Zappa lampooned, but also for having a whole passel of the most offensively cretinous album covers in the history of rock & roll. (Though as Progatron says, their very earliest stuff is indeed pretty nice.) Devo, meanwhile, probably weren't insulted at all by being called a "plastic group"--that's pretty much what they were going for all along anyway.
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    ^^^ Sure it wasn't just smut?
    S-M-U-T It's creepin' in your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ Who else since Strauss worked in 3/4 as much as Uncle Frank did?
    Hank Snow?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    For what's it worth, I know one progressive rock fan, who went to NEARfest and ROSfest multiple times, who said she was so offended by Catholic Girls (herself being a Catholic Girl) that she never bothered checking out any of his other records. So I think even the minds of adventurous music listeners, Frank is kind of, and maybe unfairly, defined by his idiotic comedy routines.
    Wow. This is a mindset I will never understand, but she is obviously within her right to have it. And well, if she is that sensitive, Frank (and alot of other music) certainly won't be for her. I would like to think this is not a widespread phenomenon, but there are many overly sensitive people in the world today so perhaps it is.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I am not a Zappa fan but I have this one. I replayed it yesterday and I really enjoyed it, even de doo-wop tunes. I can imagine this was quite a revolutionary record for 1969. Quite a versatile set of tunes too.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Another very important thing is where exactly the humorous piece is positioned within the whole narration or concept of the work. And Zappa, most times, worked miracles in that aspect.
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you.

One of my top five Zappa releases overall. I never tire of this. The buildup into the explosive violin solo in "Little House I Used To Live In" is one of my absolute favourite moments of his music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of my top five Zappa releases overall. I never tire of this. The buildup into the explosive violin solo in "Little House I Used To Live In" is one of my absolute favourite moments of his music.

"Little House I Used to Live In" is an astonishing musical achievement, IMO.

Yep. Greatness.

ΕDIT: For more of this greatness, listen to this whole, unedited puppy here, where Don Sugarcane Harris just rips the violin into oblivion. Parts of it where used to build the Little House we still live in. You'll find at the end the very beginning of it. Some interesting guitar work from uncle Frank too.

Last edited by Zappathustra; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:27 AM.

Missed this thread so far.

BWS is one of those rare Zappa albums I still have to own.

Heard it few/many times through the years and something has always kept me from liking it the same way I do most of the albums to come (Jawaka, Guhunga, Weasels & Wazoo).

Once I will own it, I will automatically press the second track to start the album play.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Of course Zappa's greatest achievement is providing the location for the Wee Tam & The Big Huge album cover shoot
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

DING.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

So I think even the minds of adventurous music listeners, Frank is kind of, and maybe unfairly, defined by his idiotic comedy routines.
    I would say it's probably the majority of music listeners who aren't avowed fans. Which is too bad, but I can't say that I blame them or that there's no reason for it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I think its difficult sometimes to put FZ into perspective since he created and released so much music. In other words, if some obscure French prog band made the holy trinity of Weeny Meat Weasels, I think they would be legendary in the way that Henry and the Cows are (or whatever other artists).

I also think it is a bit sad that some folks automatically think of the lyrical content first and foremost when "discussing" his music instead of his amazing musical accomplishments such as his rhythmic ingenuity, his studio wizardry, his incredible guitar phrasing/tones, his ability of symphonic orchestration colors, textures, timbres, etc etc. Even the great recent Zappa film missed out on so much of his accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think its difficult sometimes to put FZ into perspective since he created and released so much music. In other words, if some obscure French prog band made the holy trinity of Weeny Meat Weasels, I think they would be legendary in the way that Henry and the Cows are (or whatever other artists).
    Frank is absolutely much more legendary, more influential and more ... revered than any other 'outsider' rock figure that I can think of. The Beatles, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, etc etc etc aren't outsiders.

So, I think you are quite wrong that you think he isn't 'legendary'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This was an album I heard very early on in my appreciation of Zappa, twenty years ago now! That was a good thing because I think it is one of his most accessible albums. The two 'Holiday In Berlin's, 'Aybe Sea', 'Little House I Used To Live In', all marvellous. It tends to be my instant 'go to' when I want to listen to Zappa, actually.

Incidentally, over the years I have become very fond of doo-wop (the real thing, not those revivalists like Sha Na Na and Showaddywaddy)!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Frank is absolutely much more legendary, more influential and more ... revered than any other 'outsider' rock figure that I can think of. The Beatles, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, etc etc etc aren't outsiders.

So, I think you are quite wrong that you think he isn't 'legendary'.
    I meant legendary for even those three albums alone, in the manner some prog bands are for making three or four great albums. Maybe I'm wrong - wouldn't be the first time or last.