Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD : Frank Zappa - Burnt Weenie Sandwich

Just listening to it again. It is an amazing album. Had anybody done anything like this before? Apart from Zappa?
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Just listening to it again. It is an amazing album. Had anybody done anything like this before? Apart from Zappa?
    IMO, no. FZ was ground zero.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For what's it worth ... I think even the minds of adventurous music listeners, Frank is kind of, and maybe unfairly, defined by his idiotic comedy routines.
    Kind of like how a lot of folks' awareness of Jethro Tull is seemingly limited to
    • the singer plays a flute
    • snot running down his nose

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I would say it's probably the majority of music listeners who aren't avowed fans. Which is too bad, but I can't say that I blame them or that there's no reason for it.
    I don't know about US, but here in Europe there's not a single serious listener of music who doesn't acknowledge Zappa. And regarding progressive music in particular I've never met anyone who doesn't acknowledge him as one of the very-very few important figures of the whole thing. And I've met a lot. There is not any controversy here, and I wouldn't be aware of it if it wasn't for my presence in this forum.

Perhaps it is a no prophet in his own land issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I also think it is a bit sad that some folks automatically think of the lyrical content first and foremost when "discussing" his music instead of his amazing musical accomplishments such as his rhythmic ingenuity, his studio wizardry, his incredible guitar phrasing/tones, his ability of symphonic orchestration colors, textures, timbres, etc etc. Even the great recent Zappa film missed out on so much of his accomplishments.
    His lyrical content is an outright extension of his music for me. I could never separate it, to me it's just one. If one doesn't get the spirit of the lyrics, or he is put off by it, I really don't see how one can get the music. It is the same disturbing, anarchic, provocative, yet fully life-affirmative force that's in the works here.

BWS is one of those Zappa albums where my love and admiration for it has grown over the years - - either due to overall size of Zappa's discography or I began hearing it differently. I don't know which. Probably the latter. Definitely an underrated album in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    His lyrical content is an outright extension of his music for me. I could never separate it, to me it's just one. If one doesn't get the spirit of the lyrics, or he is put off by it, I really don't see how one can get the music. It is the same disturbing, anarchic, provocative, yet fully life-affirmative force that's in the works here.
    Thank you very much for stating this so clearly. I believe it's the first time I read this put this way but I couldn't agree more.

By the way, BWS is one of my favorite Zappa albums, doo-wops, warts an all.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Thank you very much for stating this so clearly. I believe it's the first time I read this put this way but I couldn't agree more.

By the way, BWS is one of my favorite Zappa albums, doo-wops, warts an all.
    Absolutely and agreed.

I’m one of those who love this album unconditionally, and wouldn’t dream of skipping the doo-wop songs that bracket the experience. For me they work as a part of the whole, and I think one of the things Zappa was saying here is that the lines drawn between any varieties of music, be they as radically different as Stravinsky and The Four Deuces, are arbitrary. That may not have been such an original notion even in 1970, but saying it is one thing and demonstrating it is another.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Can I ask a Zappa question here. Sort of related. Was there any interaction between Brian Wilson and Zappa? Some of Zappa's music - say on Uncle Meat reminds me very much of the musical experimentation that Brian was doing on Smile about the same time (particularly in the use of harpsichord) and Brian did some comedy skits about being stuck in a piano which Zappa also did about the same time on Lumpy Gravy - interaction or parallel development?
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"