Thread: Wilcos Yankee Hotel Foxtrot turns 20

Wilcos Yankee Hotel Foxtrot turns 20

Saw this article, and its a good read. Thought Id share it for any fellow Wilco fans who might not have seen it yet.

https://www.stereogum.com/2160774/wi...e-anniversary/

Still probably my favorite Wilco record, and when I first heard it about 17 years ago it didnt sound like anything else Id heard before. A good friend of mine discovered them around the time A Ghost Is Born came out in the summer of 2004, and thats when I first heard their music. Initially his description of them s the country Radiohead put me off (because at the time I didnt like country music, nor Radiohead ). But once I heard their music I felt that description was really a disservice. YHF was the second CD I got by them, and I liked it much more than AGIB, but that one grew on me too over time.

Saw them in concert twice, and they seriously delivered both times. The whole band is great, but I feel special mention should go to Nels Cline, Glenn Kotche, and Pat Sansone. Some crazy good musicians in that lineup. Mikael Jorgensen is also a darn good pianist.

The opening track I Am Trying To Break Your Heart was described by someone as a song that showed up late and drunk to its own recording. I love that description.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Love the record. One of the last great American bands.

My wife is a big Wilco fan. I must’ve seen them six or seven times now, including at their Blue Sky festival. I know a lot of the songs, but I’ve never really sat down and digested whole albums.

I suppose I should do that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I really enjoyed the album when it came out, and still do.
    I was put off by A Ghost Is Born when I first heard it, and really didn't follow up that much afterwards.
    Then I saw them live in 2017 which blew me away and caused me to re evaluate. Schmilco is pretty good, and there are parts of AGIB which work much better now.
    Seeing them gave me a need to hear more Nels Cline.
    I have the movie I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco , but I guess I have never watched it. Guess I should.
    A band rising from the ashes.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    My wife is a big Wilco fan. I must’ve seen them six or seven times now, including at their Blue Sky festival. I know a lot of the songs, but I’ve never really sat down and digested whole albums.

I suppose I should do that.
    Way cool! I'd like to attend the Sky Blue Sky festival sometime.

There's a lot of good stuff on their albums, and they can be unpredictable. Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love were both pretty interesting. The only albums of theirs I don't have are A.M. (their first one), and Mermaid Avenue (the one with Billy Bragg). Figure I'll probably get those eventually.

I feel that Sky Blue Sky is kind of underrated. Back when it came out in the summer of 2007, my brother and I both bought a copy and we spent most of the summer listening to that CD in the car whenever we drove places together. Really nice memories associated with it for me, but the music is also good -- Tweedy was making a conscious effort to write a more song-based record after the more experimental previous two albums, and it might have disappointed some fans who were wanting more of the AGIB and YHF type stuff (which I can understand). But SBS deserves its place in the catalog, IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Good album. I saw one of their shows in 2005 that was recorded for the Kicking Television live CD. Incidentally, Jay Bennett mixed a live CD in 2003 for a band I was in at the time.

The Tweedy Show (on Jeff Tweedy's wife's Instagram account @stuffinourhouse, basically Jeff and his family sitting at home talking and playing some songs for an hour) was a good source of entertainment during COVID lockdown times too.