Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dense Non-Prog Records That Are Their Own Little Worlds

There is an oddity in the vast output of Keith Jarrett which may fit the bill. No End was a double album he recorded in 1986 but didn’t release until 2013. Jarrett plays all the instruments including, unusually for him, electric guitar and bass. He layered the music by using two tape recorders and the whole album has an analog density very far from the ECM sound of his other recordings. It leans more toward the groove-driven music he played with Miles than anything from his solo career. Spread over two albums, there is a lot of varied material here - not much talked about it is quite unique in his repertoire and for me a great listen.

Clone - Clone (the Ben Cooper of Radical Face's 1-off Project)

Of Montreal's mid period might apply. The vocals are a bit hyper sounding, too much for many, but pretty dense progressive pop. 'Aldhils Arboretum' and 'Satanic Panic in the Attic' are good albums, although I prefer the offshoot album- 'Say It In Slang' by 'M Coast', which I've got many a happy spin out of.

Suzanne Vega's 3rd or 4th album. Better yet, a compilation that's approx this: Ironbound and SS from 2nd album, most of 3rd, first two songs of 4th and 5th each.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Suzanne Vega's 3rd or 4th album. Better yet, a compilation that's approx this: Ironbound and SS from 2nd album, most of 3rd, first two songs of 4th and 5th each.
    99F? I would have to agree. I was listening to it not too long ago and it struck me as being a bit different than your typical singer songwriter stuff.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Head of Femur might fit the bill for some mofos here. Try out Hysterical Stars. Or, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    99F? I would have to agree. I was listening to it not too long ago and it struck me as being a bit different than your typical singer songwriter stuff.
    Yes -- both 3rd (Days of..)and 4th (99F)

Minnie Riperton: Come to My Garden, which I heard someone once describe as "an R&B Astral Weeks." A bit off-brand for me, but I am so glad I bought the CD. Charles Stepney's arrangements are sumptuous, and could Minnie's voice have been any more beautiful?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A couple that might apply:

Skip Spence's Oar and Pearls Before Swine's Balaklava.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Head of Femur might fit the bill for some mofos here. Try out Hysterical Stars. Or, don't.
    Head of Mofo would have been a better name.

I liked the suggestions of Mingus & As the Veneer of Democracy.

I'd throw in the second Microdisney record - Everybody is Fantastic. Exquisite guitar picking by Sean O'Hagan, seemingly twee melodies played on lo-fi keyboards, primitive drum machine beats, & vocals enunciating brutal vignettes of Cork life, each one a little shard of existential nightmare. It was the disconnect between the saccharine melodies & the brutal lyrics, & often the vocal delivery, that's made the record so unique. (Their sound became more "mainstream on subsequent records, when they became a proper(!) band.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    A couple that might apply:

Skip Spence's Oar and Pearls Before Swine's Balaklava.
    Yup & yep.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I liked the suggestions of Mingus & As the Veneer of Democracy.

I'd throw in the second Microdisney record - Everybody is Fantastic. Exquisite guitar picking by Sean O'Hagan, seemingly twee melodies played on lo-fi keyboards, primitive drum machine beats, & vocals enunciating brutal vignettes of Cork life, each one a little shard of existential nightmare. It was the disconnect between the saccharine melodies & the brutal lyrics, & often the vocal delivery, that's made the record so unique. (Their sound became more "mainstream on subsequent records, when they became a proper(!) band.)
    Robin, I had myself a little Microdisney revival last year with the sad and early passing of Cathal. I always enjoyed their music, my first introduction was the "We Hate You..." vinyl, but I stuck around for the more mellow too. Once Cathal re-emerged with Fatima Mansions the brutal lyrics and furious delivery found a new foil, but there was still that sweet/sour conflict. Just give a listen to Viva Dead Ponies, long since one of my all time favourite songs, but what a lyric, it isn't for everybody! His solo work in latter years had some beautiful songs too, but I missed a few releases down the years.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Not quite sure I get the gist of this thread - does the first ELO album fit the bill? Or Bill Nelson’s Red Noise album Sound on Sound?
    Me too.

A pretty obvious one that i don't think was mentioned before: Jordan: The Comeback by Prefab Sprout.

Possibly Gino Vannelli's The Gist of the Gemini would also apply here, at least Side 2, where his brother Joe gets to indulge his prog/fusion pretensions. And Richard Harris' collaborations with Jimmy Webb (A Tramp Shining and The Yard Went On Forever).

From the world of jazz, I think Rashida by Jon Lucien might apply here. And if you're not afraid of country, perhaps Kenny Rogers' Gideon, which was conceived by Kim Carnes and her husband/writing partner Dave Ellingson (who between them wrote all the songs) as a kind of concept album.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

It's maybe a question of semantics that determines whether or not this is prog (Gismonti is generally thrown under a jazz umbrella). This album does in places have similarities to Per Un Amico. The use of analog synth should give even the most jaded progger a pretty good buzz and has a vibe that is pretty close to unique.

Last edited by Bake 2; 02-23-2023 at 10:43 AM.