Thread: RIP Richard Kirk (Cabaret Voltaire)

RIP Richard Kirk (Cabaret Voltaire)

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

RIP

I have always liked "The Covenant, The Sword and the Arm of the Lord" (1985)

I only know the Cabaret Voltaire stuff from the 1970s which is hairy and wild stuff and Sonic Circuits-y, long before that was happening in the general world.

I liked them a lot. Sorry to hear!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I only know the Cabaret Voltaire stuff from the 1970s which is hairy and wild stuff and Sonic Circuits-y, long before that was happening in the general world.
    Yeah, that's the stuff I know most off all too. It's weird and super interesting and fun...didn't need to hear it all the time, but it absolutely had a home in my collection.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I’ll have to have a listen to Mix Up in his memory.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

I liked them a lot. Sorry to hear!
    I really got into them in a big way throughout the 80s. Pretty much everything they released during this period was essential, even up to the house-influenced Groovy, Laid back & Nasty. During this period, they were so in-tune with contemporary club & dance culture, without ever losing that darker, more subversive, quality to their music. Their live shows were always more like multimedia events than straightforward gigs, & they could have a pretty disturbing impact on the audience!

Sad news, this.

Three Mantras, The Voice Of America, Red Mecca and 2x45 are essential listens to anyone wanting to discover how greatly innovative was a part of the 80s.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Mix-up and the insane Mantras record are my favourites. Their music was the rightful heir of the experimental Krautrock spirit, and the Can association is more than evident.

R.I.P to an insanely creative and daring musician

Never heard their music, but sorry to hear of this nonetheless. 65 is way too young to go.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Never heard their music, but sorry to hear of this nonetheless. 65 is way too young to go.
    Most hereabouts, Tyler, will gravitate to their earlier experiments with tape loops, but this is the one that does it the most for me - the groove, the samples, the production, the dystopic lyrics, the brilliant video - it's all working here!

Well that’s a sad and untimely passing. I did enjoy Cabaret Voltaire back in those heady adventurous post-punk days, their experimentation was always worth exploring. I only have their music on vinyl, and I’m soon to be moving home, so at last I’ll get a chance to reunite my ears with much of my old record collection that has been boxed and buried in a storeroom for far too long. I’ll be sure to spin some old singles in tribute then.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Try the Three Mantras LP. It could blow your brain out of your skull (which I say as a good thing).

Sorry to hear this.

I was a fan of their more new wave/dance stuff. One standout album is "Code" with a guest shot from Bill Nelson.

Respect to Richard...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Most hereabouts, Tyler, will gravitate to their earlier experiments with tape loops, but this is the one that does it the most for me - the groove, the samples, the production, the dystopic lyrics, the brilliant video - it's all working here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Try the Three Mantras LP. It could blow your brain out of your skull (which I say as a good thing).
    Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll check them out!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021