Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geddy Lee autobiography in the works

Geddy Lee autobiography in the works

(Copied from his official Instagram, which he does himself) :

ged.jpg

So, how did I kill time during the pandemic? Little did I know that as of March 2020 I'd be locked down for over a year and a half—the longest time I'd spent in Toronto since I was nineteen and hit the Northern Ontario bar circuit with Rush.

Although Nancy and I had to cancel a bunch of adventures we'd been planning, there were some shiny silver linings to be found at home: teaching my grandson the finer points of baseball and birdwatching, tending to my pups (one of whom was quite ill) and spending the evenings with my lovely better half, glass of Armagnac in hand, as we watched every European mystery show ever produced. Oh, and another thing: I began to write. Words, that is.

My friend and collaborator on the Big Beautiful Book of Bass, Daniel Richler, saw how I was struggling in the aftermath of Neil's passing, and tried coaxing me out of my blues with some funny tales from his youth, daring me to share my own in return. So I did—reluctantly at first, but then remembering, oh yeah, I like wrestling with words. It's a less physical version of arguing with musical notes, without a Ricky doubleneck breaking my back! And soon my baby-step stories were becoming grownup chapters. Being the nuclear obsessive that I am, I'd write and re-write them, reassessing perspectives in the narrative not just by scouring my memory banks but my diaries and piles of photo albums too. I was piecing together a mystery of a different kind.

I'd then send these improved and even illustrated stories to Daniel, who'd clean up some of the grammar and remove a lot of the swearing (I love to fucking swear), and presto! In a voice that sounded, well, just like me, a presentable, epic-length account of my life on and off the stage was taking shape: my childhood, my family, the story of my parents' survival, my travels and all sorts of nonsense I've spent too much time obsessing over. And Daniel said, "I think you're writing a book. An actual memoir, in fact." To which I replied, “Hmm… I guess I am.”

I'm rounding third on this as-of-yet untitled memoir, which will be published by HarperCollins, edited by Noah Eaker, and is scheduled for release in Fall 2022.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Cool! I'm in.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Auto buy!

Autobuy!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very cool! Who knew Geddy loved to swear?)

Expectations will be high for this one. Geddy is such a great interview.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's Canadian, so he swears all the darn time.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm a bit shocked at that too! He's so sweet and polite in interviews.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Great news, something to look forward to even it is a year long wait.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Very cool news!
    Chad

Definitely going to buy this!
    <sig out of order>

Red Barchetta auto buy!! Writer? Last-minute rawk lyrics on the first album aside, I think he would have become a decent lyricist had Neil not cornered the market on that talent, judging from Cinderella Man, Different Strings and his solo album.

Please Geddy, mention SOMETHING of the band playing pickup ice hockey during the Hemispheres tour! I read in Circus magazine that they were renting ice rinks along the tour for after-show pickup games but have yet to see photographic evidence or read written evidence of it. I was so jazzed I wrote to the band inviting them to rent the rink in my hometown which was 15 minutes from Nassau Coliseum and I would be glad to show up if they needed a goalie (I was even prepared to repaint my mask with the starman logo) but never heard back so who knows if they played hockey after the Coliseum show as there are a bunch of rinks in the county...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Sounds interesting.

I'm curious to see his drawings. I hope he's not one of those musicians who thinks he can draw, but really can't he doesn't come off as that type.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Geddy's life is an open book....

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Sounds interesting.

I'm curious to see his drawings. I hope he's not one of those musicians who thinks he can draw, but really can't he doesn't come off as that type.
    I get the idea that none of the guys in Rush would release something if they didn't think it was legitimate.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Good guy

As much as I'd prefer an album of new material, this is an auto buy!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    As much as I'd prefer an album of new material, this is an auto buy!
    Maybe with a different singer, though. And I'm a huge fan. But, I cannot listen to any of the recent recordings, regretfully.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yep, this is an autobuy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Of theirs - I love 'A Farewell to Kings', but not all that much else, but nonetheless this is an autobuy.

I will buy this hardcover. I would also buy the audiobook read by the author himself. Now, that would be excellent.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Love this guy. A memoir, yeah I'm down for that!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Autobuy!

Garden Dreamer, I can't quote you as you have it written in a huge font. Please stop that. But Rush, the band were not hockey players as Neil famously couldn't skate, it's well documented. Ged is into baseball, not hockey, which I dig as I love baseball.

Please stop yelling at us.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000