Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daryl Hall and Robert Fripp Collaboration ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Hall & Oates. I saw them a few years ago, and while Daryl Hall's voice isn't as smooth as it once was, the two still put on a great show.

And the original "Everytime You Go Away."

John Oates is a fairly decent vocalist as well. He sang lead on a few tracks, and has collaborated with other artists as a vocalist. He plays bass and provides backing vocals on most songs. The two also co-write most of their songs, though they each provides a few individual compositions as well for every album.
    Actually, John Oates plays guitar mostly. People like Kenny Passarelli, T-Bone Wolk, and Kasim Sulton played the majority of the bass parts.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Here's John Oates singing "Love is Fire" with Lorraine Segato of The Parachute Club. Produced by Oates, this was released in 1987. It's a nice pop tune, played in Canada fairly regularly, and one where he isn't overshadowed necessarily by his other half, Daryl Hall. It's a top-40 hit that I suppose not too many people have heard. Quite neat.

One hit song they could have had was Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You." It would have been interesting to hear their version of it, although I suppose Hartman's own recording of it reflects that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Actually, John Oates plays guitar mostly. People like Kenny Passarelli, T-Bone Wolk, and Kasim Sulton played the majority of the bass parts.
    Thanks for that. Minor brain slip on my part.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-25-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Watch the DH episode at Todd's house in Hawaii, kicks ass!
    Yep!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yep!
    At the end of the show I attended, DH made a plug for Live From Daryl's House, but was unaware of which station it airs on here. It doesn't actually air here at all. I found that particularly amusing.

From what I have seen of the show on YouTube, it's quite good. It's a shame it isn't broadcast here.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-25-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Not a real fan of H&O. But I always thought Daryl had a terrific voice.

Banned
    At the end of the show I attended, DH made a plug for Live From Daryl's House, but was unaware of which station it airs on here. It doesn't actually air here at all. I found that particularly amusing.

From what I have seen of the show on YouTube, it's quite good. It's a shame it isn't broadcast here.
    It's on several cable channels. I hoping for new episodes soon. Palladia, Family Net, and RFD. Initial look show only Palladia with new shows.

H&O & Shawn Phillips was my first theater concert. Long hair and leather pants - but I was too young to totally appreciate that. North Star is on my top 5 list of all time greatest songs.

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I have enjoyed many of Hall & Oates pop songs.

I love a good melody and a lot of their hits did include a good melody. I think I have enjoyed all their hits up to "Family Man" with the exception of the "I can't go for that" song" (fingers on a chalkboard to my ears)

That said, my favorite Hall & Oates album has always been "Abandoned Luncheonette". I have gotten my son, my daugher and my daughter's boyfriend into that album (so any kick back from H&O for the sudden sales over the past few years would be appreciated).

I will sometime this year seek out the Hall /Fripp collaboration and enjoy it. I have heard snippets over the years but have never purchased the album.

As I have told my sons, "Just because I like 'Kiss on my list' doesn't make me a wimp - It just exposes it".

And the original "Everytime You Go Away."

Possibly the greatest thing they ever did, IMO. The guitar is sublime, and Hall's vocal is just so, so soulful.

Shame that most only know Paul Young's cover, which is good, but doesn't approach the greatness of the original.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Parachute Club.
    Holy shit! I Haven't thought about that band in ages. Well, that's not quite true, it might have been true about 3 years ago, and even then, I probably saw one of their videos on Much Music back when our cable system still carried it. But man, I'm gonna have to play Rise Up on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice one of these days, if I can ever find it on CD.

Banned
    I pulled Sacred Songs out. Still sounds great to these ears. Glad I didn't get rid of it when I decided to trim my CD collection.