Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : The Chicago Transit Authority : The Chicago Transit Authority

I was in n 9th grade when this friend who was a bit more into the more experimental aspects of music told me about this and raved that it was a turning point. I went to the tiny local record store and asked for it. The owner (the only employee I ever saw there) applauded my selection of "brass rock." I thought, what have I gotten myself into? But I bought it anyway and have been a huge fan ever since.

This guy also turned me onto Yes.

I remember getting this when it first came out. You're right, Sean. SO new and fresh. Extremely inventive and original rock music with excellent writing and playing.

I still remember the smell of the vinyl when i opened it. I was very excited, having only heard "Questions 67 & 68" on the radio at that point. "Introduction" just knocked me on my ass. What a great opener. And really the album needs to be listened to as a whole (preferably without bonus tracks and all that crap). The sequencing and production are sterling and well planned. Guercio was a badass. I just love the *sound* of the album so much. Easily as much as the music

It is a stone cold classic, for sure. It's held up well. It still gets steady rotation here, certainly.
    Last edited by Polypet; 10-05-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

[QUOTE=Polypet;1074432]"
    A Hit By Varese" just knocked me on my ass. What a great opener

That's on Chicago V.

Guercio was a badass.
    He might been for the first few albums, but after a certain point, he turned into another "businessman". Apparently, he tried to talk the band out of doing the instrumentals on Chicago VII, and he over ruled the entire band, who had voted to not use Hard To Say I'm Sorry on Chicago X. Guercio was so convinced it would be a hit (and, let's face it, he was right), he insisted the band had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    who had voted to not use Hard To Say I'm Sorry on Chicago X.
    "If You Leave Me Now."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

That's on Chicago V.
    Yes thanks, i corrected that. I mistyped, as i was actually listening to Chicago V at the time of writing

He might been for the first few albums, but after a certain point, he turned into another "businessman". Apparently, he tried to talk the band out of doing the instrumentals on Chicago VII, and he over ruled the entire band, who had voted to not use Hard To Say I'm Sorry on Chicago X. Guercio was so convinced it would be a hit (and, let's face it, he was right), he insisted the band had to do it.
    Oh yeah, he was kind of known to be a domineering asshole too. But the production on those first albums was stunning, imho.

It's funny how they managed to work with producers who had that "hit" instinct but were pushy MFs. David "I'm the smartest guy in the room" Foster comes to mind
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "If You Leave Me Now."
    Like there's an actual tangible difference. Close enough for rock n roll. After awhile,k all those Peter Cetera ballads bleed together. Which one was the one that he played acoustic guitar on when they'd do it live (Wait a minute! If he's playing guitar, who's playing bass?!)

It's funny how they managed to work with producers who had that "hit" instinct but were pushy MFs. David "I'm the smartest guy in the room" Foster comes to mind
    David "Don't worry about learning the songs, guys, because I'm gonna have Toto come in and play on the track, and then Peter can overdub his vocals, and that'll be that" Foster