Thread: RENAISSANCE - Scheherazade And Other Stories expanded reissue

RENAISSANCE - Scheherazade And Other Stories expanded reissue

http://dmme.net/renaissance-to-expan...-scheherazade/

Looks like this is finally on the way Nov. 26th. Surround is an up-mix though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I’m in. Only two of my top 10 bands had remained on the surround sidelines …. Now one!
    Last edited by ca1ore; 09-19-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Bugger, yet another album I've bought recently that suddenly gets a re-release.

Holy Macaroni!!!!

One of my favorite Renaissance albums. It was released when I was going through a difficult time in my life, and I would play this over and over for comfort.
    This remaster looks pretty interesting. I was hoping this would also be available on vinyl, but doesn't look like it.
    Here's a link to preorder from Cherry Red.
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/renaissa...other-stories/
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    one of my favorites. I have the Gold disc which is lovely. Wondering if I need this one? I don't think it'll sound as good as Gold.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Oh, I see I need this one as well
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Oh, I see I need this one as well
    Isn't that the way it usually works?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Forgot about this. Ordered it ages ago. Nice review. Always a bit 'suspicious' of up-mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Forgot about this. Ordered it ages ago. Nice review. Always a bit 'suspicious' of up-mixes.
    Yes, and some have been pretty weak, but sometimes they can be pretty well done.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As nice as these packages are, I'll stick with the previous reissue on this one, based on the extra material.

Is the '76 Nottingham footage in color or black and white?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    It's an audio CD...

As much as I love Renaissance, I'm not sure I need any more mid-70's live shows. Very similar set lists, played almost as per the studio recording.

How about some post Tout/Sullivan shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    As much as I love Renaissance, I'm not sure I need any more mid-70's live shows. Very similar set lists, played almost as per the studio recording.
    I feel the same way; for the past two years I've bought a good amount double clam shell Esoteric re-releases of remasters with bonus disc. I'm am quite satisfied and not craving for more.

Sorry, meant the promo film, not the Nottingham show

How about some post Tout/Sullivan shows?
    If they take it that far, I would expect there would be. I know they're definitely doing Azure D'Or, but whether they'll go beyond that isn't clear yet (I hope they do, as personally I like 80s Renaissance).

Sorry, meant the promo film, not the Nottingham show
    Colour!

Yup, plus a lot of them (all of them?) have already been released. In a couple of places a more complete concert was included. Have to go and listen to the Novella set to see if the 'remastering' of Royal Albert Hall got rid of that god awful hum/buzz that ruined an otherwise fine performance.

I still haven’t found a good sounding Scheherazade to my ears. I think I’ll buy this just in hopes of it sounding good. I wouldn’t buy it for the extras which I believe I already have anyway.

I'm always amazed at just how many excellent live recordings this band has. It's almost never ending as they keep coming, and the majority are professionally captured. Other bands that were far more popular in the 70's we are left scraping the barrel, or pleading for releases.

But yes, I kind of roll my eyes at having another Renaissance live recording these days.

Got my copy today. Surround up-mix sounds pretty good. It’s been donkeys years since I listened to the studio album, preferring the live stuff, so cannot say with certainty that the remaster is necessarily an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I still haven’t found a good sounding Scheherazade to my ears. I think I’ll buy this just in hopes of it sounding good. I wouldn’t buy it for the extras which I believe I already have anyway.
    The Gold disc sounds great IMO.
    HuGo