Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Hammer - New Video - Anthem To Andorath

Glass Hammer - New Video - Anthem To Andorath

Hope you guys like it! Brand new vocalist. We started pre-orders today at: https://glasshammer.com/official-store/
    70 minutes - 13 tracks. I'm thinking this is our heaviest album yet.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Steve, who IS the vocalist? And if you don't mind me asking, who makes the videos you release- they are well done.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It sounds decent. Any chance of returning to Terra Incognito?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

This sounds like it would be a killer live track!

I'll probably get this, even though it's hewing much closer to Metal than I would like. I like the fact that GH is sticking with female vocals, an incredibly wise choice, imo. Having said that, I lament the loss of the magnificent Ms. Bogdanowicz. The new vocalist is fine, but a step down, imo. I wonder if she is the child of one of the 2 principals? Oh, and Mr. Babb needs to accessorize with a runestaff or somesuch these days. He's got the look.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 09-17-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I’m in! Glass Hammer is always auto-buy for me.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I must have totally missed the memo that GH had become a prog metal band.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll probably get this, even though it's hewing much closer to Metal than I would like. I like the fact that GH is sticking with female vocals, an incredibly wise choice, imo. Having said that, I lament the loss of the magnificent Ms. Bogdanowicz. The new vocalist is fine, but a step down, imo. I wonder if she is the child of one of the 2 principals? Oh, and Mr. Babb needs to accessorize with a runestaff or somesuch these days. He's got the look.
    Exactly my sentiments there. I will probably get it is as well being a completist, but why do they go this direction where there are already many other bands with similar sound? Not getting it ... do they hope for a wider/younger audience/fan base
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Exactly my sentiments there. I will probably get it is as well being a completist, but why do they go this direction where there are already many other bands with similar sound? Not getting it ... do they hope for a wider/younger audience/fan base
    Ah well...you haven't heard the whole album yet!
    So here's what's going on. We're planning a trilogy, like a book. Dreaming City is part 1, Skallagrim - Into the Breach is pt 2. It has an arc. The new album is probably the heaviest of the three. (the 3rd installment will come next year I hope.) It all tells a big story and our protagonist is going to war in this part of the tale. So the album's music carries that idea along.
    Anthem To Andorath is heavy, but other songs are heavier. As you listen to the entire album, you might pick up inspirations like Rush, Black Sabbath, Tangerine Dream, Gentle Giant...all kinds of great music. And you'll also hear some classic GH sounds.
    Anyway...thanks for being a completist. Trust me - we know what we're doing! <g> (I hope!)

:::steve::::
    Last edited by Glass Hammer; 09-18-2021 at 04:24 PM.

"Dreaming City" kicked off with a really heavy track (the title cut), but when taken as a whole I don't think that album was prog-metal at all. To me, it sounded like Glass Hammer paying a bit of tribute to Rush within their normal style.

Glass Hammer has had a 100% hit rate with female vocalists throughout their career so I'm sure Hannah will fill the bill nicely. Her voice definitely fits this style very well; maybe that's why she was chosen.

Ah, "The Inconsolable Secret" days, where did they go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Steve, who IS the vocalist? And if you don't mind me asking, who makes the videos you release- they are well done.
    Our new vocalist is Hannah Pryor.
    My wife Julie films the videos and I do the editing Glad you approve.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It sounds decent. Any chance of returning to Terra Incognito?
    If we're asked to return, I imagine we would

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    This sounds like it would be a killer live track!
    We're planning on playing it live
    Last edited by Glass Hammer; 09-18-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Susie hasn't been able to work with us on the albums for many years. She lives 500 miles away in Florida. So it was difficult recording with her. Hannah Pryor lives nearby and has spent countless hours working on the material. We absolutely love all of Susie's work...no question. But for the sake of the music we had to have someone that could come to the studio ( a lot!).
    Some of the album is heavy, but that's where we're at in Skallagrim's story. It will be a trilogy when completed.
    You'll have to let me know what you think once you've heard the entire album

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    "Dreaming City" kicked off with a really heavy track (the title cut), but when taken as a whole I don't think that album was prog-metal at all. To me, it sounded like Glass Hammer paying a bit of tribute to Rush within their normal style.

Glass Hammer has had a 100% hit rate with female vocalists throughout their career so I'm sure Hannah will fill the bill nicely. Her voice definitely fits this style very well; maybe that's why she was chosen.
    We are not prog-metal and don't even like the stuff! lol At least not the modern definition of it. If combining prog with Black Sabbath, Hawkind, Judas Priest, and Rush influences is prog-metal...then we're guilty. I've never heard more than 1/2 a Dream Theater song in my life and that was 30 years ago, lol

And yes..that's partly why she was chosen. Hannah was working on an album for someone else at our studio and we asked her to bring in a rock track to sing to. She brought a Flyleaf track and blew us away. And thus, she became our singer

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Ah, "The Inconsolable Secret" days, where did they go?
    Well, funny you should mention that. If you hear the entire album you'll have your answer. Seriously...no spoilers though. We're working on a trilogy that started with Dreaming City. The middle album is intentionally heavy. But we're headed somewhere beyond the Inconsolable Secret on album 3. They're all connected. You'll see in time!
    IS is my favorite album we've done besides this one.
    Steve

The new track is certainly heavy, but not what I'd call prog-metal. More like hard rock. No shredding, no double bass drums, etc. No one's gonna mistake this for a Dream Theater song.

I found it really catchy! Dreaming City was heavier than what came before in general, but it was also a pretty diverse record and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing how the new one sounds in its entirety. Didn't realize there's a planned trilogy, so that's really cool.

The new singer's softer tones during the intro to the new track sound similar to Amber Fults' vocals on "In That Lonely Place" on Perilous. I actually had to Wiki that to see if it was the same person.

Heavy prog is generally a turn off for me; however, I did not find Dreaming City heavy at all and really liked it. There’s a Depeche Modishness to it that I thought was cool, particularly on A Desperate Man. Trust in the creative process I think.

This thread peaked my interest in Dreaming City again, and after listening to samples I used part of a Amazon Gift Card to order it.(sorry I couldn't order directly).
    We're both on Social Security now with a fixed income, so a lot of our new music purchases come from our kids in California sending us a Amazon Gift Card.
    I love what you've done on Dreaming City, lot of beef, variety, and the return of some very tasty synth parts.

The fact this second release is part of a Trilogy sounds interesting to me, and once I've spent some time with Dreaming City, we'll pick up this new one.

I think this is a good new direction in the way your writing and recording has taken.
    If I want to listen to Lex Rex era Glass Hammer, or any of the later style of GH, I can pull out the cd and play them.

I've said it before, as artists we need to continue to grow, not remain comfortable in the status quo or on our laurels of the past. You must move forward so the creative process remains fresh and interesting, or the music will suffer and lose part of it's magic.

Good stuff here!
    Please give Suzi our love, and hopefully in a future work you can have her participate as a guest vocalist, by just sending digital files from Florida to Tennessee.

I think the trailer shows a bit better the totality of the album, rather than the video of one song.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    This thread peaked my interest in Dreaming City again, and after listening to samples I used part of a Amazon Gift Card to order it.(sorry I couldn't order directly).
    We're both on Social Security now with a fixed income, so a lot of our new music purchases come from our kids in California sending us a Amazon Gift Card.
    I love what you've done on Dreaming City, lot of beef, variety, and the return of some very tasty synth parts.

The fact this second release is part of a Trilogy sounds interesting to me, and once I've spent some time with Dreaming City, we'll pick up this new one.

I think this is a good new direction in the way your writing and recording has taken.
    If I want to listen to Lex Rex era Glass Hammer, or any of the later style of GH, I can pull out the cd and play them.

I've said it before, as artists we need to continue to grow, not remain comfortable in the status quo or on our laurels of the past. You must move forward so the creative process remains fresh and interesting, or the music will suffer and lose part of it's magic.

Good stuff here!
    Please give Suzi our love, and hopefully in a future work you can have her participate as a guest vocalist, by just sending digital files from Florida to Tennessee.

I think the trailer shows a bit better the totality of the album, rather than the video of one song.
    Glad you like the new direction. With 20+ albums you have to alter course now and then. I know some bands don't, but we do. There's a lot to digest with our new album, lots of different sounds going on. I think you'll dig it!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    So here's what's going on. We're planning a trilogy, like a book. Dreaming City is part 1, Skallagrim - Into the Breach is pt 2. It has an arc. The new album is probably the heaviest of the three. (the 3rd installment will come next year I hope.) It all tells a big story and our protagonist is going to war in this part of the tale. So the album's music carries that idea along.
    Anthem To Andorath is heavy, but other songs are heavier. As you listen to the entire album, you might pick up inspirations like Rush, Black Sabbath, Tangerine Dream, Gentle Giant...all kinds of great music. And you'll also hear some classic GH sounds.
    Anyway...thanks for being a completist. Trust me - we know what we're doing! <g> (I hope!)

Hey Steve, thank you for the laydown of the whole trilogy. You certainly picked my interest with your inspiration choices. Already preordered the album on your website, so I'm looking forward to it
    As for being completist, I really like (of course whenever I can) to follow how the bands are doing throughout the years. The trilogy seems quite a big departure but than I quite understand a need for a change. All the best to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post

Hey Steve, thank you for the laydown of the whole trilogy. You certainly picked my interest with your inspiration choices. Already preordered the album on your website, so I'm looking forward to it
    As for being completist, I really like (of course whenever I can) to follow how the bands are doing throughout the years. The trilogy seems quite a big departure but than I quite understand a need for a change. All the best to you guys.

Listened to this song several more times, and I have to say, it owns! Killer chorus. I really like this one, and can't wait to hear the rest of the CD when it comes out.