Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: FEATURED CD : Chicago : Chicago III

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Of course I know where the phrase comes from. But the Ides of March song is a blatantly obvious rehash of their one hit, with "Great Caesar's ghost" coming at exactly the same point in the arrangement as "Great god in heaven" in "Vehicle," both bellowed solo by Jim Peterik as the band momentarily drops out towards the end of the chorus.
    Ah. Since I have never heard of Ides of March before, I would not have known that. Thanks for the clue-by-four
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The last Chicago album I purchased in the 70s was VIII. It wasn't the Chicago I loved but there were a couple of heavy, guitar tracks on that album. The rest was forgettable. That was it for me. Moved on.
    I stuck through the Kath era and gave Hot Streets a fair shot. It didn't shoot back, so I dumped it.
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    434
    I've listened to III years ago, but I remember nearly nothing of it. Must revisit it soon. Chicago V is pretty outstanding in my book, VII is very good too.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The last Chicago album I purchased in the 70s was VIII. It wasn't the Chicago I loved but there were a couple of heavy, guitar tracks on that album. The rest was forgettable. That was it for me. Moved on.
    That's the last one I have too, but not due to my own actions. Rather, my mom brought it home from a library record sale (or maybe from the thrift store she used to go to). She'd do that a lot for me, bring home records, band shirts, etc, sometimes even 8-tracks! So this one time she comes home with a copy of Chicago VIII. So I took it upstairs to play it, and as I pull it out of the cover, this piece of paper falls out. I pick up the paper, and ya know what it was? An iron-on! Of the Chicago logo! She didn't even know it was there! Talk about your Easter eggs! I showed it to my mom and she asked if I wanted her to put it on a t-shirt, and I said "No! I'm gonna keep it like this, this is cool!". So anyway, I listened to the record my impression was pretty much the same, i.e. not bad, but not particularly great, either.

  5. #55
    For any interested, I reviewed Steven Wilson's remix of Chicago II. I loved it. You can read it here.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  6. #56
    VIII was the last Chicago album I bought and liked. Fairly notable for having 3 tunes with no horns - one hard rock riff song from Cetera, a trippy psychedelic tune from Kath with a blazing guitar outro, and another ballad from Kath.

    I did hear the next two Kath albums and Hot Streets (I was in Chicago bands all throughout high school and college so band members had the albums) and liked a few tunes but didn't feel I needed to own the albums. "Once or Twice" from the "chocolate" album was a lot of fun to play.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

  7. #57
    VI doesn't get much love here but I think it is a very strong album. I particularly like Lamm's "Hollywood" and "Something In This City Changes People".

  8. #58
    I quite like VI. Some call it a "singer-songwriter album", which I don't get at all. It is admittedly more intimate in feel than what went before or after (at least as far as Hot Streets), but there isn't a song on it that I dislike.
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

  9. #59
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I stuck through the Kath era and gave Hot Streets a fair shot. It didn't shoot back, so I dumped it.
    I listened to VIII on Youtube today. There are a couple tracks I like (Brand New Love Affair, Great Spirit, Ain't It Blue), the rest is almost Yacht Rock.

  10. #60
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,724
    These Chicago threads have sent me on a mini BS&T binge. Check this out:


  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    These Chicago threads have sent me on a mini BS&T binge. Check this out:
    Their album Mirror Image has a extended fusion piece on side two that gets interesting as I recall.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    [SIZE=4]VIII was the last Chicago album I bought and liked. Fairly notable for having 3 tunes with no horns - one hard rock riff song from Cetera, a trippy psychedelic tune from Kath with a blazing guitar outro, and another ballad from Kath.


    VII has four songs without horns, though one has flute and another harmonica.

  13. #63
    VI also had several songs with no horns, or only brief appearances by the horn section.

  14. #64
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Their album Mirror Image has a extended fusion piece on side two that gets interesting as I recall.
    I had that album in the mid 70s. It was a bargain bin special. I like it. BS&T albums have at least one extended suite or jazzy instrumentals. I've been listening to all the Clayton-Thomas reunion albums. DCT is one hell of a soul/blues singer but the albums have more love songs than rock or jazz. Nuclear Blues is excellent though. It's funky, jazzy and contains two lengthy instrumentals.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    BS&T albums have at least one extended suite or jazzy instrumentals.
    There was a BS&T CD release on Real Gone called The Complete Singles, that was later put on streaming sites as The Essential BS&T or some similar generic title. The singles release had both a and b-sides, and the b-sides were often instrumentals so that had some fun stuff.

    BTW I remember Mirror Image was odd as they seemed to be chasing an r&b audience on the first side, while the second had the jazz stuff I mentioned.
    Last edited by pb2015; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:33 AM.

  16. #66
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    These Chicago threads have sent me on a mini BS&T binge.
    Just saw that they're coming to my neck of the woods. But was anybody in this picture even born when BS&T was having hits?

    241872984_10157918764566126_3674693149032474792_n.jpg

    ETA: I just found out that their current guitar player--rudely cropped out of this photo, as you can see his guitar neck only--is Larry Coryell's son.
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:21 PM.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just saw that they're coming to my neck of the woods. But was anybody in this picture even born when BS&T was having hits?

    241872984_10157918764566126_3674693149032474792_n.jpg

    ETA: I just found out that their current guitar player--rudely cropped out of this photo, as you can see his guitar neck only--is Larry Coryell's son.
    Well, it's hard to suss out the exact truth, thanks to the poor editing of their Wikipedia page, but I don't think any of the guys listed as the "current lineup" were in the band during the mid 70's, never mind being original members. And David Clayton Thomas isn't with them anymore either.

  18. #68
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just saw that they're coming to my neck of the woods. But was anybody in this picture even born when BS&T was having hits?

    241872984_10157918764566126_3674693149032474792_n.jpg

    ETA: I just found out that their current guitar player--rudely cropped out of this photo, as you can see his guitar neck only--is Larry Coryell's son.
    I saw BS&T in the early 00s at a state fair type venue. They were billed as David Clayton Thomas & BS&T. They probably played for an hour all the big hits from albums 2 and 3. Enjoyable concert.

  19. #69
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I saw BS&T in the early 00s at a state fair type venue. They were billed as David Clayton Thomas & BS&T. They probably played for an hour all the big hits from albums 2 and 3. Enjoyable concert.
    I saw them in 1970 around the time 3 came out. They still did one song from the Al Kooper period ("I Can't Quit Her"), otherwise all stuff from the 2nd and 3rd albums, including their epic rewrite of "Sympathy for the Devil." Opening act was an up-and-coming young folkie called John Denver.

  20. #70
    Bobby Colomby still manages BS&T but I doubt anyone stays with the band for a long time these days.

  21. #71
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I saw them in 1970 around the time 3 came out. They still did one song from the Al Kooper period ("I Can't Quit Her"), otherwise all stuff from the 2nd and 3rd albums, including their epic rewrite of "Sympathy for the Devil." Opening act was an up-and-coming young folkie called John Denver.
    In the late 70s I was playing percussion in a latin/rock/salsa bar band. We had a small horn section. We had a horn player named Forrest Buchtel. He told me he played with BS&T. Sure enough, he's on the Wikipedia page of BS&T. I played in a bar band with Forrest Buchtel and we got stoned a few times.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •