Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Movies

Pink Floyd Movies

I recently discovered that "The Body" (1970) had been released on DVD (region 2) in 2013. I'm slowly making my way through it. It's not a documentary you want to savor

This joins "More" (1969, released 2011), "Zabriskie Point" (1970, released 2004), and "La Vallee" (1972, released 2012) -- all films distinguished by their soundtracks (and not much else, IMO). I guess, prior to 1973, Pink Floyd was not exactly a top flight band.

Also The Committee (1968, don't know when it was issued on DVD but it has been).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Also missing from the OP's list: Pompeii and The Wall, but I never knew (or don't remember) that this Body was a also film

I'll look out for The Body ASAIC
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes there are several films of PF in performance. I was talking about films for which they did the soundtrack, and especially where the soundtrack is more famous/more readily available than the movie it came from.

Reading about "The Committee" and hearing PF's contributions, I don't think I'll be adding it to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

This joins "More" (1969, released 2011), "Zabriskie Point" (1970, released 2004), and "La Vallee" (1972, released 2012) -- all films distinguished by their soundtracks (and not much else, IMO).
    More was actually a huge hit in France, it's reputation there is, apparently, somewhat comparable to Easy RIder in the US. Reputedly, Pink Floyd's association with the film was what allowed them to break into the Francophone market before they were "big" in other territories.
    I guess, prior to 1973, Pink Floyd was not exactly a top flight band.
    Define "top flight band". They were making great music, but every album prior to Dark Side Of The Moon has it's share of filler on it.

Not exactly a major one, but from the later years there was a film called La Carrera Panamericana (may have butchered spelling) featuring otherwise-unreleased music from the post-Momentary Lapse version of the band.

Edit: here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Carrera_Panamericana
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Not exactly a major one, but from the later years there was a film called La Carrera Panamericana (may have butchered spelling) featuring otherwise-unreleased music from the post-Momentary Lapse version of the band.

Edit: here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Carrera_Panamericana

µyeah, I saw the videocassette some 10 years ago.

Mason, Gilmour and the manager in a race... nothing transcendental.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Define "top flight band". They were making great music, but every album prior to Dark Side Of The Moon has it's share of filler on it.
    A "top flight band" is one a major studio would pay big bucks to score its movie.

A "top flight band" is one a major studio would pay big bucks to score its movie.
    Other than Flash Gordon and Dune, and I can't think of too many "major studio" movies that were scored by rock groups, other than musicals like Tommy or The Wall or concert films. Certainly in the early 70's, I don't think there were any at all, unless you count something like American Graffiti.

And I don't think it would be up to the studio so much as the director. If a director working for MGM or Warners or Universal had said, in 1972, "I want this picture to have a rock music score", it would have almost certainly happened.

I imagine the studio would have been happy to pay for a 4 piece rock group, versus hiring a 100 piece orchestra, plus Ennio Morricone or Jerry Goldsmith. That's why electronic music scores were so popular in the 80's: the three guys in Tangerine Dream were probably cheaper than John Williams and a symphony orchestra. Also the reason why Ry Cooder was so popular for soundtrack during that same era: he typically needed just a five or six piece band (though I'm not sure he did very many "big studio" movies either).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-22-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Banned
    That explosion scene in Zabriskie Point that features PF music is the best IMO.

Other than Flash Gordon and Dune, and I can't think of too many "major studio" movies that were scored by rock groups, other than musicals like Tommy or The Wall or concert films. Certainly in the early 70's, I don't think there were any at all, unless you count something like American Graffiti.

And I don't think it would be up to the studio so much as the director. If a director working for MGM or Warners or Universal had said, in 1972, "I want this picture to have a rock music score", it would have almost certainly happened.

I imagine the studio would have been happy to pay for a 4 piece rock group, versus hiring a 100 piece orchestra, plus Ennio Morricone or Jerry Goldsmith. That's why electronic music scores were so popular in the 80's: the three guys in Tangerine Dream were probably cheaper than John Williams and a symphony orchestra. Also the reason why Ry Cooder was so popular for soundtrack during that same era: he typically needed just a five or six piece band (though I'm not sure he did very many "big studio" movies either).
    American Graffiti was more an assembly of 'golden oldies' than a commissioned score (and getting the rights cost George Lucas a sizeable proportion of the film's budget IIRC, as did the songs on 'Mean Streets'). You're right about the cost benefits of electronics versus orchestra; Lucas (that man again) dug his heels in and insisted on an orchestral score for his silly little sci-fi film when the studio were all for having an electronic soundtrack.

Other than Flash Gordon and Dune, and I can't think of too many "major studio" movies that were scored by rock groups, other than musicals like Tommy or The Wall or concert films. Certainly in the early 70's, I don't think there were any at all.
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/...013/04/15.html

Here are 2 more: Crystal Voyager, & Rozencranz & Guildenstern Are Dead. If you haven't seen the 2nd one, check it out. The word play is terrific. Some of the sight gags are humorous as well.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Here are 2 more: Crystal Voyager, & Rozencranz & Guildenstern Are Dead. If you haven't seen the 2nd one, check it out. The word play is terrific. Some of the sight gags are humorous as well.
    I remember Rosencranz & Guildenstern using the first note of Echoes in complete isolation. Which makes you go WTF when you recognise it. But is there any other Floyd being used?

Saw this one on PBS several years back...with Gilmour supplying the soundtrack...

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/fract...lors-infinity/
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Shame on me for forgetting about Superfly and Shaft. But most of those other movies in that list are much much later, and other than those two and Flash Gordon, I believe mose of the rest of them are indie pictures, not "major studio" things.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I remember Rosencranz & Guildenstern using the first note of Echoes in complete isolation. Which makes you go WTF when you recognise it. But is there any other Floyd being used?
    Wasn't that the movie where they used Seamus over the closing credits?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    American Graffiti was more an assembly of 'golden oldies' than a commissioned score (and getting the rights cost George Lucas a sizeable proportion of the film's budget IIRC, as did the songs on 'Mean Streets').
    Likewise for Cooley High, which used a similar mix of "golden oldies" as American Graffiti, but oriented more towards Motown and other similar classic old school R&B things. I don't think either of those films could be done today with that kind of soundtrack. The rights to use just one of those songs would be ridiculous.

Wasn't that the movie where they used Seamus over the closing credits?

Beat me to it.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Shame on me for forgetting about Superfly and Shaft. But most of those other movies in that list are much much later, and other than those two and Flash Gordon, I believe mose of the rest of them are indie pictures, not "major studio" things.
    Yeah you're basically right. Danny Elfman, Mark Knopfler, Mark Isham, Ry Cooder, Hans Zimmer and Mark Mothersbaugh notwithstanding

Yeah you're basically right. Danny Elfman, Mark Knopfler, Mark Isham, Ry Cooder, Hans Zimmer and Mark Mothersbaugh notwithstanding
    To be fair, though, most of the film music those guys have done, I wouldn't really call "rock music". Yeah, they've all got backgrounds in something that might be loosely defined as rock music (or "fusion", in Isham's case, or "blues" in Cooder's case), but the film music they've done I think typically wouldn't fall into that category.

Shame on me for forgetting about Superfly and Shaft.
    "Superfly T.N.T." was scored by Osibisa.

couldn't find another thread to slap this on, and I don't think it's worth opening another Floyd thread for this - sorry if it's been done elsewhere, obviously I missed it.

i'd nebver seen this rockumentary before. Seems quite amateur (if only by the enormous sound level differences)

A few things I'd never seen before (the German ATM concert, for ex)

Obscured By Clouds was Floyd soundtrack? I have it on vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Obscured By Clouds was Floyd soundtrack? I have it on vinyl
    You didn't know that? What band did you think was playing that music?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)