Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71

Thread: Genesis Album Covers

  1. #26
    Trespass, Nursery Cryme and Selling England might be my favourites, but I quite like the rest. Wind and Wuthering would have made a nice Gatefold cover. I like the "modern" graphics of The Lamb, IMO it represents the music well.
    Trick and Seconds Out are great and I saw that tour, good memories....
    I prefer And Then...to Duke....The inner sleeve photo of Abacab is great. I would have made that the cover with the Lamb lettering.
    Mama is my least favourite....

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    83
    I like all the covers equally up to ATTWT . Funny that as this is when I went off them, shortly after Knebworth. Lot's of distraction / punk & new wave and the Do It Yourself mentality which I went for big time.
    I think the not so latent malevolence of the PH artwork along with PG's Memory and reminiscences of the creepy shrouded guys outside his window kinda made me think there was a little more to these guys than a bunch of over-prived toffs.And Phil. Lol.
    Last edited by clivey; 11-02-2021 at 03:16 PM.

  3. #28
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    4,479
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    TWind and Wuthering would have made a nice Gatefold cover.
    I believe it was, initially.

  4. #29
    Member Joe F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I believe it was, initially.
    I've never seen a gatefold. It looks like it was in Spain only upon release in '76.

  5. #30
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I've never seen a gatefold. It looks like it was in Spain only upon release in '76.
    yeahn according to discogs, it was... not that it would've brought much (IMHO) since it's the same tree and the starlings would be missing on the front cover to make sense of the gatefold. And on the inner fold was the inner sleeve containing the lyrics.

    It's like SEBTP, I saw it once in gatefold (it was that way in Germany & Australia, apparently) and I brought it home, but it brought nothing new, since the lyric sheet was printed on the inner fold


    My preference goes to Trick and its waffled(textured cardboard. I originally had the Canadian version, but the French one (with an French lyric translationsheet added inside) is much more pronounced (actually, it's quite spectacular). Love the inner record sleeve artwork, much more appeased crowd than the outer gatefold.

    My copy of W&W had a slightly textured cardboard too.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-05-2021 at 04:35 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  6. #31
    Wind and Wuthering has a similar theme as Time Honoured Ghosts, another cover that I like a lot with the transition of seasons. The BJH Gatefold cover works great and the transition was foreseen, but IMO Wind and Wuthering could have worked also with some small transitional effects like the birds flying into the front part...

  7. #32
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    2,646
    Relatedly, Tony Banks probably could have done a whole lot better for himself with great covers. I think people expected less from him with the covers he had which kind of blended into the monotony. They provided no clue to the strength of the music. Same goes for his orchestral albums, which could have used someone like Peter Cross (who did the early Anthony Phillips covers so nicely). His only cover with any atmosphere at all I think is 'A Curious Feeling', and even that one could have been stronger.

  8. #33
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Wind and Wuthering has a similar theme as Time Honoured Ghosts, another cover that I like a lot with the transition of seasons. The BJH Gatefold cover works great and the transition was foreseen, but IMO Wind and Wuthering could have worked also with some small transitional effects like the birds flying into the front part...
    absolument d'accord

    Pushing the group & album logo on the other upper corner would've solved the starlings' flight path..

    I also like the waffled/textured paper on W&W.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  9. #34
    Member chescorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    I couldn't care less for Storm Thorgerson's and Aubrey Powell's design for "...And Then There Were Three....
    Agree 110%. When I first saw it I thought those guys on the cover were Genesis.
    Hipgnosis (which also designed The Lamb cover if I am not mistaken) has had as many, if not more, misses than hits.
    Yet it seems everyone, even some prominent Youtubers whose opinions I otherwise respect, somehow goes crazy about their covers.
    As an ardent Yesfan, their work on the 2 Yes covers is possibly worse than Peter Max’s.

  10. #35
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Hipgnosis (which also designed The Lamb cover if I am not mistaken)
    And A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  11. #36
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Agree 110%. When I first saw it I thought those guys on the cover were Genesis.
    Hipgnosis (which also designed The Lamb cover if I am not mistaken) has had as many, if not more, misses than hits.
    Yet it seems everyone, even some prominent Youtubers whose opinions I otherwise respect, somehow goes crazy about their covers.
    As an ardent Yesfan, their work on the 2 Yes covers is possibly worse than Peter Max’s.
    TBH, I think Hipgnosis has a higher rate (%) of great covers on prog bands than Whitehead (outside Genesis' three, I don't care for the rest of his works) and Dean (good run from Fragile until Yesshows - after that much less.... and the Budgie covers are awful, IMHO)

    If Tormato is dreadful, GFTO is a great artwork (yes, I'm not afraid of male buttocks - I don't feel threatened by them) full of possible interpretations.
    As for ATTWT, I have no problems with it (it kind of fits the atumnal/dusk feel of the music inside, IMHO), though I do think one of the three beggars looks a lot like a shaven Collins.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-06-2021 at 06:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Right Coast
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Relatedly, Tony Banks probably could have done a whole lot better for himself with great covers. I think people expected less from him with the covers he had which kind of blended into the monotony. They provided no clue to the strength of the music. Same goes for his orchestral albums, which could have used someone like Peter Cross (who did the early Anthony Phillips covers so nicely). His only cover with any atmosphere at all I think is 'A Curious Feeling', and even that one could have been stronger.
    Tony was his own worst enemy. Not terrible, not great. Strictly Inc. is probably the stinker while A Curious Feeling and A Chord Too Far being his best.

    Besides the covers, his videos weren't much help either.

    Then again, TB is not a flashy person, and they kind of reflect his personality.
    Last edited by Tangram; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 PM.

  13. #38
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    If Tormato is dreadful, GFTO is a great artwork (yes, I'm not afraid of male buttocks - I don't feel threatened by them) full of possible interpretations.
    I don't think the GFTO cover suits the music or lyrical themes at all. It would have made a better cover for Drama.
    New album RATS' ALLEY on CD and LP
    "His best album yet. Mix of Prog, electronica, jazz and experimental." - Amazon review
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  14. #39
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    though I do think one of the three beggars looks a lot like a shaven Collins.
    For the longest time, I associated those three random guys with Genesis as they appeared in the "Illegal Alien" video.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  15. #40
    Love the 'Foxtrot' cover.

  16. #41
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    2,520
    I probably mentioned this before but my favorite covers are ATOTT, SEBTP, W&W and TLLDOB in that order. Those also happen to be my favorite albums by them(not necessarily in that order).

    Here is the order I would rank the covers:

    A Trick of The Tail
    Selling England By The Pound
    Wind And Wuthering
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

    If I were to rank the albums musically I would probably switch Selling England with W&W but that's it. Sorry, Epping Forest brings it down a bit for me and so does more fool me.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-03-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    2,074
    My faves are Wind and Trick both musically and cover wise.


    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Moscow, RF
    Posts
    7
    Nursery Crime

  19. #44
    From Epic Prog, duh The_Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    101
    I know a lot of people don't like it, but I actually quite like the self-titled album cover. There's just something about the simple image that I like, although I couldn't say why, and I also like the matching Genesis wordmark on it. I have no idea how it's supposed to relate to the music on the album, but it works for me.

    As for favorites, maybe Wind & Wuthering, Selling England, Trick, and Abacab would fit that bill for me.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

  20. #45
    I am a bit surprised by this thread.

    I always thought that the kind of 'naïve surrealism' style of Trespass, Nursery Crime, and Foxtrot were pretty highly thought of.

    I think they do a great job of visually depicting the (for its time) pretty creative, and lyrically surreal, music that is contained on the albums. That sort of familiar, yet off kilter depictions of an earlier time in England, I think, nailed it.

    Unlike YES, Eloy, Nektar, and many other prog bands, Genesis were a kind of Earthy, pastoral sounding band, unlike the otherworldly and spacy of some other prog bands. Roger Dean, Rodney Matthews, Helmut Wenske, spacy cover art would have been completely out of place for Genesis album art.

    Full disclosure: I am a pretty good friend with Paul Whitehead (he was at the Thanksgiving dinner I was at just few weeks ago, and almost every other holiday and friend's get together), so, one could say I might be biased. But my appreciation for those covers goes back decades before I met Paul.
    Last edited by simon moon; 12-10-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  21. #46
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,199
    If I had to pick one, Wind And Wuthering
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  22. #47
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am a bit surprised by this thread.

    I always thought that the kind of 'naïve surrealism' style of Trespass, Nursery Crime, and Foxtrot were pretty highly thought of.

    I think they do a great job of visually depicting the (for its time) pretty creative, and lyrically surreal, music that is contained on the albums. That sort of familiar, yet off kilter depictions of an earlier time in England, I think, nailed it.

    Unlike YES, Eloy, Nektar, and many other prog bands, Genesis were a kind of Earthy, pastoral sounding band, unlike the otherworldly and spacy of some other prog bands. Roger Dean, Rodney Matthews, Helmut Wenske, spacy cover art would have been completely out of place for Genesis album art.

    Full disclosure: I am a pretty good friend with Paul Whitehead (he was at the Thanksgiving dinner I was at just few weeks ago, and almost every other holiday and friend's get together), so, one could say I might be biased. But my appreciation for those covers goes back decades before I met Paul.
    That's cool. I met Paul once (at one of the early Nearfests) and he seemed like a very likeable guy. I even bought Peter Hammill's "Fool's Mate" on his recommendation(not typically considered one of his best but I like about half of it quite a bit). His album covers don't look like anyone elses. I think Pawn Hearts and Nursery Cryme are maybe his best.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-11-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

  23. #48
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am a bit surprised by this thread.

    I always thought that the kind of 'naïve surrealism' style of Trespass, Nursery Crime, and Foxtrot were pretty highly thought of.

    I think they do a great job of visually depicting the (for its time) pretty creative, and lyrically surreal, music that is contained on the albums. That sort of familiar, yet off kilter depictions of an earlier time in England, I think, nailed it.

    Unlike YES, Eloy, Nektar, and many other prog bands, Genesis were a kind of Earthy, pastoral sounding band, unlike the otherworldly and spacy of some other prog bands. Roger Dean, Rodney Matthews, Helmut Wenske, spacy cover art would have been completely out of place for Genesis album art.

    Full disclosure: I am a pretty good friend with Paul Whitehead (he was at the Thanksgiving dinner I was at just few weeks ago, and almost every other holiday and friend's get together), so, one could say I might be biased. But my appreciation for those covers goes back decades before I met Paul.
    I'm also a bit (only) surprised by the preference of the Hypgnosis arts over the Whitehead ones.
    TBH, I hadn't really realized there were so many of Hypgnosis in their career.
    But then again what Auby & Storm did for them is quite different than what they did for Floyd and UFO... or Yes, FTM.
    Agreed that Dean and others mentionned above wouldn't have fit Genesis' music.

    I can say I know Whitehead, but met him once at a Musical Box concert, where he was selling his art. Despite buying his book (signed), he was relatively pushy about it (selling more) and didn't leave me a very pleasant souvenir (nothing rebarbative either, though). Hadn't he been so pushy, I might have bought his TressTrot-Cryme combination art, after the concert, but he was gone (at least his selling stand was). Not really a fan of what PW developped for VdGG or Le Orme, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  24. #49
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I hadn't really realized there were so many of Hypgnosis in their career.
    But then again what Auby & Storm did for them is quite different than what they did for Floyd and UFO... or Yes, FTM.
    I can't remember which band member talks about it in the official doc interviews on the boxed sets, but they allude to Storm being disappointed that they wanted something so twee and flowery for the Trick and Wind covers instead of the edgy nouveau stuff Hipgnosis usually did.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  25. #50
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    12,543
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I prefer And Then...to Duke....
    Sorry if I asked this already, but does anyone know what is supposed to be going on on the cover of the And Then There Were Three...? I personally don't like it, is it something to do with spies? It just sort of seems like a random image, with that trail of light.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •