Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAIRO (Jeff Brockman)

CAIRO (Jeff Brockman)

CAIRO (the U.S band) was one of the best 90ies prog band, sadly underrated (if not forgotten).
    Since the original composer/keyboard player (Mark Robertson) left the music scene long ago any reunion of the original band is highly unlikely (they stopped/disbanded in 2001, after having released three records).
    It's nice to see that Jeff Brockman (the original dummer) is still trying hard to keep the memory of the band alive by his regular posts on his YT channel. He obviously still like to play CAIRO's music very much and is technicaly a fantastic drummer in the samel league as Minneman, Portnoy , Peart, Harrison, Palmer et al. It's difficult to understand why no "big" prog names (in search of a drummer) never thought hiring him, he deserves a better job than a "virtual" YT band. Hopefully he's doing some sessions work ?
    Recently he posted a video where he plays "Corridors" (a very complex and difficult track from "Conflict and Dreams) "virtually" (semi-live) with japanese musicians (the key player is really amazing !)
    Fantastic playing and track.

Any other CAIRO fans here ?

Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 10-10-2023 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Since the original composer/keyboard player (Mark Robertson) left the music scene long ago any reunion of the original band is highly unlikely (they stopped/disbanded in 2001, after having released three records).
    Bret Douglas died in 2011.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I always liked Cairo, have all three of their albums, and think Mark Robertson is an exceptionally talented keyboardist. ^Nice video.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Curious as to why Mark Robertson walked away from the music scene. It's not like Cairo was a big touring act or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I always liked Cairo, have all three of their albums, and think Mark Robertson is an exceptionally talented keyboardist. ^Nice video.
    Same here, I love all of Cairo's music. Their debut album is an excellent serving of 90s prog. Always a favorite of mine!

I like the 90s band. Apparently there's a newer prog band with the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Same here, I love all of Cairo's music. Their debut album is an excellent serving of 90s prog. Always a favorite of mine!
    That's the only one I currently have. It sort of sounds like they were disappointed with Black Moon and decided to do the kind of album they felt ELP shoud be doing at that time (and rightly so). Their two other later albums apparenty are unfortunatey oop (afaik).

If I'm being honest, I thought they were OK. However, they were on Magna Carta, right? If so, they were one of the best on a rather weak label (for me.)

An older interview but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZt...=Triangulation

Mark Robertson became a pilot and Jeff is working on new music.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Their two other later albums apparenty are unfortunatey oop (afaik).
    Copies of Conflict and Dreams and Time of Legends aren't hard to find. They probably have them at your local indie shop (the one that stocks prog).

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have all the albums and need to revisit, it's been years.

Always nice to be reminded to dive back into the CD collection to revisit some good material. I guess thats why I have so many! Including their 3 releases.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If I'm being honest, I thought they were OK. However, they were on Magna Carta, right? If so, they were one of the best on a rather weak label (for me.)
    Without doubt the best band signed on (the defunct) Magna Carta label, with Shadow Gallery a solid second (if you''re into prog-metal).
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 10-11-2023 at 09:32 PM.

That's the only one I currently have. It sort of sounds like they were disappointed with Black Moon and decided to do the kind of album they felt ELP shoud be doing at that time (and rightly so). Their two other later albums apparenty are unfortunatey oop (afaik).
    Forget "Black Moon"... you can't be closer to the best ELP than this:

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Copies of Conflict and Dreams and Time of Legends aren't hard to find. They probably have them at your local indie shop (the one that stocks prog).
    Is that a joke? If they do stock prog you have to go digging for it because it's not labelled as such. Prog is still a pretty obscure genre believe it or not.

Discogs is not my local indie shop!

Discogs is not my local indie shop!
    I knew you were going to say that but try to pay a wee bit more attention to the "aren't hard to find" part. You know, where the sentence ends with a period.

You may want to click on those links, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I knew you were going to say that but try to pay a wee bit more attention to the "aren't hard to find" part. You know, where the sentence ends with a period.

You may want to click on those links, too.
    Hey, mr. smarty pants if you didn't want me to acknowledge the part after the period you should have stopped there!

Yeah, I'll check them out but unfortunately they are not really a priority right now.

Hey, mr. smarty pants if you didn't want me to acknowledge the part after the period you should have stopped there!

Yeah, I'll check them out but unfortunately they are not really a priority right now.
    Never change, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Without doubt the best band signed on (the defunct) Magna Carta label, with Shadow Gallery a solid second (if you''re into prog-metal).
    I'll add Magellan to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I'll add Magellan to that list.
    Yeah, I like their first few albums.

Magna Carta also issued Time Crunch and Organik by Niacin!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I remember a lot of those Magna Carta label acts had the worst computer graphics 101 class album covers.

The eons are closing
    ^^ yes Bryce 3D was a popular tool for that.

I like Cairo okay but not as much as Shadow Gallery (especially Carved in Stone & Tyranny)

I had Magellan's Hour of Restoration first of all the MC releases, but I ended up only liking a few tunes from HoR and Impending Ascension
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit