Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Norm MacDonald

RIP Norm MacDonald

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadlin...234833212/amp/

Passed away from cancer.

Brilliant comedian, loved all his stuff !!

----

Norm Macdonald, whose laconic delivery of sharp and incisive observations made him one of Saturday Night Live‘s most influential and beloved cast members, died today after a nine-year private battle with cancer. He was 61.

Macdonald’s death was announced to Deadline by his management firm Brillstein Entertainment. The comedian’s longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra, who was with him when died, said Macdonald had been battling cancer for nearly a decade but was determined to keep his health struggles private, away from family, friends and fans.

“He was most proud of his comedy,” Hoekstra said. “He never wanted the diagnosis to affect the way the audience or any of his loved ones saw him. Norm was a pure comic. He once wrote that ‘a joke should catch someone by surprise, it should never pander.’ He certainly never pandered. Norm will be missed terribly.”
    Last edited by Flightwave; 09-14-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Whoa, holy cow. RIP.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

RIP Turd Ferguson

Good grief... I had no idea he was sick.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

His impression of David Letterman was funny as hell. Sad loss.

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Good grief... I had no idea he was sick.
    He kept it private for 10 years apparently

RIP

Damn, he did some really funny stuff. Most recently, I think, was the voice of the alien blob in The Orville.
    RIP NORM!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Another talented Canadian comedian. Way too young, very sorry.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-14-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post

Sad news. I like all those late 80's and early to mid 90's snl news anchors(Dennis, Kevin and Norm). Very funny but also very deadpan. RIP Norm.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "You know, with Hitler, the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him.”

This is really a bummer.
    His comedic delivery was dry with a twinkle in his eye, and so funny.
    Loved his Burt Reynolds character on Celebrity Jeopardy on Saturday Night Live.

Thank you Norm for years of giving us laughter, and for a moment on a Saturday night or in a movie, you helped us forget for a few minutes all the negative crap that's out there.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

^ Yeah, Norm and Kevin Nealon were probably my favorite of the Weekend Update male anchors. Both really nailed the delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Yeah, Norm and Kevin Nealon were probably my favorite of the Weekend Update male anchors. Both really nailed the delivery.
    Yep. I didn't want to not include DM with that bunch but I prefer Kevin and Norm. Come to think of it Kevin was a bit deadpan also but different than Norm.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

For many years, my friends and I have used his joke to finish off random sentences. "You guessed it: Frank Stallone!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Well, this comes as a shock. I saw a headline earlier today and I thought it was a hoax.

RIP Norm. You were a part of SNL when it was still worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yep. I didn't want to not include DM with that bunch but I prefer Kevin and Norm. Come to think of it Kevin was a bit deadpan also but different than Norm.
    I know what you mean. Dennis was funny and I liked him, but I loved Norm and Kevin on Weekend Update. You're right, Kevin was deadpan too, but in a different way. He had a kind of affable cheesiness to his demeanor, while Norm was more dry and sarcastic. I'm laughing right now just thinking about some of the things Norm would say.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace to one of the funniest people, ever.

One of the all time greats.

“It’s good to be here in America, or as we refer to you in Canada, The Great Satan.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Wonderful statement from Kevin Nealon:

I was absolutely shocked and saddened to hear of Norm MacDonald's passing this morning. He was, without a doubt, one of a kind. So clever, daring, well-read and smart as a whip. His comedy was brilliant, irreverent and at times biting. We all loved him on SNL's Weekend Update and I don't actually think he ever got credit for coining the phrase, 'Fake News.' Norm and I often toured doing stand-up and occasionally golfed together. A few years ago we took a road trip to Palm Springs and he insisted on blasting Johnny Cash tunes the entire way, windows down with his bare foot dangling out. Luckily I was driving. Thank you for your unique brilliance and charm, Norm. I miss you already. 🙏🏽💔#ripnorm #ripnormmacdonald #snl #billymadison 📸 by @seanhagwellstudios 2016 @nbcsnl @therealnormmacdonald

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    “It’s good to be here in America, or as we refer to you in Canada, The Great Satan.”

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    "Charles Woodson, first defensive player to ever win the Heisman Trophy, that's something no one can ever take away from you... unless of course you kill your ex-wife and her boyfriend" - Norm, at his only Espy awards appearance

This may be the funniest joke in the world - but only if told by Norm. RIP.