Thread: Gongzilla

Gongzilla

So anyone into this Gong splinter group (or should I say Gong splinter group splinter group, since they seem to be a spin off from Pierre Moerlen's Gong). I finally picked up Thrive, their second album, and listened to it today on the way home from work. Great album, with David Torn guesting. Not too crazy about the vocals, but the instrumental performances are fantastic.

I've had their 1st album Suffer for many years, and really like it a lot. Alan Holdsworth is on it and sounds fantastic. Worth tracking down.
    Last edited by ctoelle; 09-13-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Seen the band twice with both the Moerlen brothers on board - Pierre was obviously a guest on vibes & drums.
    Quite awesome for 3/4 hour, but a full concert is a tad too much for me: too samey, and it does get quite repetitive and you get an overdose of vibraphones; but TBH, I wasn't sufficiently aware/acquainted of their stuff prior too seeing them to make much out of it.

I only owned one album (from memory, it's the debut Suffer) bought at the time of release, but haven't seen it on my shelves for so long that I'm not sure I have it anymore.
    Memories of that album is that it was also "too samey" - probably the reason why I didn't return to it after my initial discovery binge. The album's name was not helping either

GG, how do you feel: about a full album's dose?
    Do you feel like you're bombarded with the same ideas/sonics?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    East Village Sessions is a great album

Quote Originally Posted by ctoelle View Post
    I've had their 1st album Suffer for many years, and really like it a lot. Alan Holdsworth is on it and sounds fantastic. Worth tracking down.
    I play "Allan Qui?" to everyone that is telling me Allan Holdsworth was all pyrotechnics and no soul

I guess I have about all their releases:

Gongzilla: Suffer (LoLo Records 003-2), 1995
    Gongzilla: Thrive (LoLo records LOLO 010-2), 1996
    Gongzilla: Live (LoLo Records 016-2), 2001
    Gongzilla: East Village Sessions (LoLo Records 017-2), 2003
    Gongzilla: Five Even (Lolo Records 021-2), 2008
    DVD: Gongzilla: Live In Concert And At The East Village Studio (Escape TV ETV02), 2005

Well, I like them all, but because of Holdsworth's contributions Suffer is my favorite.
    And yes, Thrive is a killer too, with great stuff from David Torn and Gary Husband.

The band (just like a lot of the jazzrock-period of Gong) indeed uses repetition as a trademark, especially in the vibes-sections. I love that aspect.
    The DVD is cool too, but it would have been a monster if the set was shown as a whole, now there're shots from the documentary between the tracks.
    Five Even has a guest-list to dream of, featuring David Fiuczynski and Kai Eckhardt.

Of course albums by Bon Lozaga, Hansford Rowe and Vic Stevens are worth checking out too.

Don't know if the label most of Gongzilla was released on, LoLo Recors is still active though: https://www.lolorecords.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I play "Allan Qui?" to everyone that is telling me Allan Holdsworth was all pyrotechnics and no soul
    Amazing solo.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Don't know if the label most of Gongzilla was released on, LoLo Recors is still active though: https://www.lolorecords.com/
    I don't know about that either, but some of their stuff can be had digitally here:
    https://hansfordrowe.bandcamp.com/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I've shared this tale before, but after meeting Hani and Bon at Nearfest '99 (they were selling used discs as I recall), they played a gig here in town at a small, now defunct venue. We were among the half-dozen in attendance. Great players.

I'm definitely a fan. One by one I've been buying all their CDs. This sort of prog/fusion hits me where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Five Even has a guest-list to dream of, featuring David Fiuczynski and Kai Eckhardt.
    https://www.lolorecords.com/
    David "Fuse" Fiuczynski is also on Gongzilla Live. A guitarist who should be better known IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Fantastic! I've never heard this because the only Gongzilla album I have is Thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    David "Fuse" Fiuczynski is also on Gongzilla Live. A guitarist who should be better known IMO.
    Yeah, I've heard a little bit of his music. I remember reading about him in Guitar Player back in the early 90's, and he did a record called Lunar Crush, which John Medeski, which I remember hearing at Wax Stax back in 1994 or whenever it was that it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I've heard a little bit of his music. I remember reading about him in Guitar Player back in the early 90's, and he did a record called Lunar Crush, which John Medeski, which I remember hearing at Wax Stax back in 1994 or whenever it was that it came out.
    Check out Amandala by Screaming Headless Torsos. An excellent instrumental album with Fuze.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Check out Amandala by Screaming Headless Torsos. An excellent instrumental album with Fuze.
    And of course Hiromi's Sonicbloom Time Control-CD and Live In Concert-DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    And on Gongzilla's East Village Sessions.