Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions of dark/ominous/eerie/unsettling/etc music for halloween ambience

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I always create a Halloween playlist every year and use tracks from mostly dark symphonic and soundtrack prog. In fact I was already thinking about making my 2021 playlist. And yes I do use many bands that employ the mellotron, which always suites the music well. Here are some of those artists that I use:

All Traps On Earth
    King Crimson
    Daal
    The Black Codex
    Anima Morte
    Nicklas Barker
    Ske
    Ars De Er
    Anglagard
    Fredrik Klingwall
    Unit Wail
    Popol Vuh
    Peter Hammill
    Ennio Morricone
    Fabio Fizzi
    Goblin
    Nordagust
    In Lingua Mortua
    Jordsko
    Pixie Ninja
    Wobbler
    Dead Can Dance
    Black Midi
    White Willow
    Citizen Cain
    Telepath

There's more, but you can't go wrong finding appropriate tracks for the occasion.
    Most of the ones on this list that I know are a little too beyond just creating atmosphere for the scope of my playlist. That said, Ennio Morricone is something I didn't think of. Being his catalogue is so vast...do you have suggestions for specific songs of his that could fit here?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Some additional recommendations from three rarities of the post industrial scene.

I enjoyed all three of these, but that last one sounds like it could be a winner. I'm going to listen to the rest of the album, many thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post

This is from a very dark ambient album by David Arkenstone. It is not typical of his work but very well done. The whole album is very dark.
    Ah, very nice! I will definitely be using one or two songs off of this.

You say this is not typical of his work...he seems to also have a fairly extensive discog...can you recommend any others he has done in this vein?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Most of the ones on this list that I know are a little too beyond just creating atmosphere for the scope of my playlist. That said, Ennio Morricone is something I didn't think of. Being his catalogue is so vast...do you have suggestions for specific songs of his that could fit here?
    Yes, Morricone's catalogue is vast. I know he did many Giallo scores(Italian Horror Films), but I am no expert on which ones are best, or any particular tracks. Maybe Udi Koomran can help with this request? At any rate here is a link to Intermezzo Music in Italy. They have the best selection of Morricone scores IMO. And many of them are new editions. And they cover all of the film genres that EM scored for. Good luck!

https://www.intermezzomedia.com/cata...nio+morricone+
    Last edited by AncientChord; 09-30-2021 at 03:15 AM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I'd suggest Morricone's The Thing soundtrack for some unsettling ambience. Drammi Gotici is more full-on creepy, but it has bits which are more suitable as unsettling background music.

Of his gialli soundtracks, perhaps some of La corta notte delle bambole di vetro might be suitable. Individual tracks elsewhere might be "Oltre il silenzio" from Il diavolo nel cervello or "Magia nera" from Una lucertola con la pelle di donna. There is a lot of interesting, beautiful and disturbing music on these and others like Gli occhi freddi della paura, Giornata nera per l'ariete, L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo and indeed Exorcist II: The Heretic, but most of it is probably too elaborate, too noisy or just too involving to fit your specifications.

The first thing that came to mind was Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Especially if you can show video of Nils Frykdahl to complement the audio. I was told by a reputable source (the late Progeezer) that apparently he's a kindergarten teacher. Presumably, not in full stage persona.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Especially if you can show video of Nils Frykdahl to complement the audio. I was told by a reputable source (the late great Progeezer) that apparently he's a kindergarten teacher. Presumably, not in full stage persona.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Fixed.
    I never perceived SGM as "dark". Highly meta-aesthetic, sonically powerful and levelled at the post-postmodern, certainly - but not "dark".

Extremely eclectic and artistic on a certain historical ledge, but not "dark" unless some would also deem Murnau's work "dark" - obviously tempered by now-contemporary cultural vibes, which was never the right way to go in understanding the past in the first place.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I'd suggest Morricone's The Thing soundtrack for some unsettling ambience. Drammi Gotici is more full-on creepy, but it has bits which are more suitable as unsettling background music.

Of his gialli soundtracks, perhaps some of La corta notte delle bambole di vetro might be suitable. Individual tracks elsewhere might be "Oltre il silenzio" from Il diavolo nel cervello or "Magia nera" from Una lucertola con la pelle di donna. There is a lot of interesting, beautiful and disturbing music on these and others like Gli occhi freddi della paura, Giornata nera per l'ariete, L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo and indeed Exorcist II: The Heretic, but most of it is probably too elaborate, too noisy or just too involving to fit your specifications.
    Many thanks! I will investigate these.

Also to spacefreak and battema (and anyone else of course):

I enjoyed those Lustmord albums alot...but his discog is somewhat large. Other recs from him? (Just in general, not necessarily in terms of this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also to spacefreak and battema (and anyone else of course):

I enjoyed those Lustmord albums alot...but his discog is somewhat large. Other recs from him? (Just in general, not necessarily in terms of this thread)
    From his personal discography:
    Paradise Disowned
    Heresy
    The Monstrous Soul
    The Place Where The Black Stars Hang

and also his more sci-fi ventures in space as Arecibo in "Trans Plutonian Transmissions", is also recommended (though "lighter").
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    From his personal discography:
    Paradise Disowned
    Heresy
    The Monstrous Soul
    The Place Where The Black Stars Hang

and also his more sci-fi ventures in space as Arecibo in "Trans Plutonian Transmissions", is also recommended (though "lighter").
    excellent thanks

Last edited by hippypants; 10-06-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    This is a little outside what I'm looking for, but damn do I enjoy it! Many thanks

I always found bits of Rick Wrights contribution to the Ummagumma track Sysyphus 1-4 to have a certain "quality" about it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgQIEqd5Ac

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)

Dio Fa
    Amazing.

Normally I turn to a lot of the prog-and-related suggestions given thus far in this thread, but this year I've been digging more the horror movie score vibe a la John Carpenter and the band known as Midnight Syndicate, who do a lot of eerie, minor key piano and electronic kind of stuff. Very effective mood setters for the season, IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Yoko Ono?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Yes, Morricone's catalogue is vast. I know he did many Giallo scores(Italian Horror Films), but I am no expert on which ones are best, or any particular tracks. Maybe Udi Koomran can help with this request? At any rate here is a link to Intermezzo Music in Italy. They have the best selection of Morricone scores IMO. And many of them are new editions. And they cover all of the film genres that EM scored for. Good luck!

https://www.intermezzomedia.com/cata...nio+morricone+
    Wow reviving this thread exactly one year later LOL
    I will try and create a Morricone Playlist that fits this criteria

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

wasn't there a similar thread about a year or 2 ago? i remember posting these Omen soundtracks then..

Last edited by UnephenStephen; 10-03-2022 at 12:29 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    wasn't there a similar thread about a year or 2 ago? i remember posting these Omen soundtracks then..
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...py-soundtracks
    exis par exis tone

Every Halloween I used to get the boom box out into the foyer and grab Heresie by Univers Zero, Shub Niggurath's classic, some Art Zoyd, October Equus and set the mood. Where I live now I've had no kids in 6 Halloweens. No kids. No mood. Just another night.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

^^ That's similar to me, including the bands and albums you mentioned, and no longer having the mood or desire for Halloween.