Thread: HAWKWIND "Somnia" (2021)

HAWKWIND "Somnia" (2021)

New album by Hawkwind and a strange one. I think it is the first time in their official discography that they are deviating considerably from their trademark spacerock vibe. No classic Brock riffs on the album or excursions into heavier space-rockin', just an overall hypnotic yet slightly unsettling vibe. Magnus Martin contribution into modernizing their approach is immense on this one. Based on their late 90s-early 00s sound, they borrow from the motorik krautrock of Can, Neu! etc. on the central piece of the LP and they also enter late 70s Floyd territory, ambient electronica atmospherics and even raga folk, pastoral acoustics and reggae. It took me a few listens to digest but I'm pleasantly sold!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GJWyl-NS_GcozA
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Looking forward to hearing this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    New album by Hawkwind and a strange one. I think it is the first time in their official discography that they are deviating considerably from their trademark spacerock vibe. No classic Brock riffs on the album or excursions into heavier space-rockin', just an overall hypnotic yet slightly unsettling vibe. Magnus Martin contribution into modernizing their approach is immense on this one. Based on their late 90s-early 00s sound, they borrow from the motorik krautrock of Can, Neu! etc. on the central piece of the LP and they also enter late 70s Floyd territory, ambient electronica atmospherics and even raga folk, pastoral acoustics and reggae. It took me a few listens to digest but I'm pleasantly sold!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GJWyl-NS_GcozA
    Well Spacefreak, I'm with you: second spin here and I like it, it gets better and better.

Nice cover too!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

listened to some xamples. Really different but also very good! I stopped buying their new studio albums (got the live ones).
    I think I will get this one though, much better than the few ones before.

I made it halfway through before nipping off to Amazon and ordering it. Killer album! Much better than the other recent material that I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I made it halfway through before nipping off to Amazon and ordering it. Killer album! Much better than the other recent material that I've heard.
    True. Unexpectedly refreshing.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There were certainly moments on the last few albums (that I bought at the same time as this, so I am definitely still digesting) that sound like they could be on this new album or at least preview that sound.

But you're right; this is a weird, spacey, open album.

Lots of guitar solos, very few riffs. It feels almost like a group improv.

Very curious to hear how these songs will sound live (I'm guessing we'll get a live album at some point).

The more I listen to the album, the more it reminds me of what Brock was doing with Hawkwind in the 90s. Spacey, trance-y, layered. It's a surprise given the last few albums, but not a complete 180 from other Hawkwind eras.

Anyone else notice how much Brock is sounding like late-era Daevid Allen? I had put the album on, puttered around outside for a bit, came back in, forgot what I had playing and couldn't figure out what Gong song I was listening to. It was "Barkus" from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It was "Barkus" from this album.
    A song about a dog-tank hybrid?

Have you chewed on the bones these years?
    When you howl, is it you that hears?

I really like the vibe of this album. Lots of surprising little noises that cause the brain to look around and take notice.
    Very fresh sounding to me, a lot of the Hawkwind material seems like regurgitated earlier work.
    I do like them, and have a video concert we really enjoy.
    But this one sounds original and fresh, I like it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Just picked up a copy of this in a charity shop- interesting! Agree with the comment from polmico about sounding like Daevid Allen - I thought it was a sample of him for a moment!!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

New live album on its way:
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...u-2cd-edition/

And the final Hawkfest is happening in September:
    http://www.hawkwind.com/

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Have you chewed on the bones these years?
    When you howl, is it you that hears?

I'd had no intention of listening to this album and ignored it when it came out. The last few albums have felt very undistinguished, and sound enough like bland versions of mid-career Hawkwind that they've started undermining my ability to like actual mid-career Hawkwind. And this is one of those bands where every meh new album gets marketed as a reinvigoration or a return to form. Saw this thread come back up and thought I'd give it a shot and huh, this actually sounds different! The basic elements are there -- simple driving drum patterns, swirling guitar and synth -- but the quasi-ambient spin they have in Somnia, with nature sounds and samples, feels quite different. Then Strange Encounters feels heavier than I'm used to from them lately with surprisingly intricate drum patterns. Alcyone has some very lovely, evocative clean solos. I'll be interested to spend some more time with this one.