Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow! Discovered dutch prog band kayak its amazing vocal meldoies like elo

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You’re probably thinking of Starlight Dancer, as the U.S. release was actually a single disc reduction of the European SD and its predecessor, The Last Encore. It also remixed some tracks and threw in a single B-side. The LP cover also came from TLE. Though the U.S. release of RBB was also slightly different, there were a couple of track segues on the European version that were mixed out of the U.S. release, different cover art too. Janus Records also monkeyed with Phantom of the Night, completely changing the track order and, again, slapping on a different cover. See See the Sun and Periscope Life were released by different record companies and remain intact (though SSTS, again, had an alternate cover in the US). The rest (self-titled 2nd, The Last Encore and Starlight Dancer in full, Merlin and the “live” album Eyewitness) weren’t released here.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Melanie”-Rare Bird
    I started with Royal Bed Bouncer and was immediately hooked around 1976. Been a fan ever since. I too have 3 Originals. Periscope Life and Phantom Of The Night are awesome. I also have Best of Kayak,See See The Sun,Kayak,Starlight Dancer(US),Starlight Dancer(Holland)The Last Encore,Merlin,Close To The Fire,Nostradamus,Merlin-Bard Of The Unseen dvd(pal) and the 35th Anniversary cd/dvd.(ntsc)

Here's the Holland Royal Bed Bouncer cover:

Here's the US cover:

Last edited by Rand Kelly; 03-18-2013 at 08:27 AM.

They had a couple of OK records. But they were no Supersister, Group 1850 or:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jon Neudorf
    Haven't heard a lot but what I have sort of reminds me of Supertramp. Very nice stuff.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They had a couple of OK records. But they were no Supersister, Group 1850 or:

You forgot to add in "in my opinion" --

My wife likes Kayak too. She likes the 'Phantom of the Night' album the best, liking the vocalist a bit better than Max Werner, but pretty much likes all she's heard by them. I think 'Royal Bed Bouncer' is regarded as one of their best, but See See The Sun is probably their most proggy.

prognoir: I'm glad people are, for the most part, not letting your lack of english skills be an issue. It used to bother me how insensitive people were toward canterburyscene from the old prog ears. Was that you? I always assumed it was, but I guess its possible that was someone else. Anyway, glad to have you with us either way.

Funny thing is i don't speak italian as a first language and yet somehow i am able to at least make an attempt to punctuate or at least use periods at the end of sentences when i write in Italian i don't know it seems like a weak excuse to say my mind runs so fast because i am so damned brilliant that you mortals cannot keep up with my ingenious running mind so you will have to deal with the way i write i am so much better than you punctuation is for the little people who don't have so many brilliant thoughts running through your heads a million miles an hour like i do so there.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

That’s the CD reissue cover of RBB. The original European vinyl release wasn’t cropped and had different lettering (no Kayak logo!):

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Counting Sheep”-Bigelf/Cheat the Gallows

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Funny thing is i don't speak italian as a first language and yet somehow i am able to at least make an attempt to punctuate or at least use periods at the end of sentences when i write in Italian i don't know it seems like a weak excuse to say my mind runs so fast because i am so damned brilliant that you mortals cannot keep up with my ingenious running mind so you will have to deal with the way i write i am so much better than you punctuation is for the little people who don't have so many brilliant thoughts running through your heads a million miles an hour like i do so there.
    We humbly bow before your great wisdom, both in being able to puncuate so well, and for knowing the reason prognoir thinks so fast (his brilliance). None of the rest of us would have ever caught that, especially when it was something he was apologizing over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSW4Fn_-rFM

Very rare footage but the best Kayak IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post

Oh, that's what happened to that? I had the whole concert on YouTube, but it got taken down.

yes i was cantburyscene its not excuse guys i would not lie i dont know grammar

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    You forgot to add in "in my opinion" --
    Didn't forget, I was just acting silly.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prognoir View Post
    yes i was cantburyscene its not excuse guys i would not lie i dont know grammar
    Regardless of your writing skills, it's good to have you aboard the PE community prognoir. As to your writing ability, ever looked into adult courses (I'm being serious)? You may find a short-term course, or perhaps something online, that's taylored to how your mind functions, and could help. It's never too late to learn! In the meantime, I'll be glad to wade through some of your posts.

As to Kayak, they are a bit uneven in their catalogue. I have several lp's of their 70's output, plus Merlin, Bard of the Unseen, which I particularly enjoy. They tend to shift from writing proggy-pop, to poppy prog, then just pop. Overall, for my ears, they are a solid B to C+.