Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mexican Avant Chamber Rock

Cool thread. Much to explore!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

I'm digging:-

Nazca - s/t
    Nazca - Estacion De Sombra
    Culto Sin Numbre - Hallazgos Nervosios
    Culto Sin Numbre - Fracturas Internas
    Arteria - Cuatro Visiones
    Ensamble Dentro de la Nada - Caceria de Brujas (ordered yet to be received)

Decibel and Banda Elastica are also musts to add to your list.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Very cool thread. Will definetly buy some Ledesma stuff.

Where can I get the Arteria CD?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Very cool thread. Will definetly buy some Ledesma stuff.

Where can I get the Arteria CD?
    Arteria and some of JLFL´s from Wayside:
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...on-spc-02.aspx

Also, JLFL from Syn-Phonic:
    http://synphonic.8m.com/country/mexico.htm

Regards.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Thanx TCC

Any of you know The Devil's Breakfast ?
    A line up of Carlo Nicolau of Nazca
    After leaving Nazca Carlo moved to New York in 1988 and formed The Devil's Breakfast, Carlo Nicolau (Nazca - Mexico)Keith Macksoud (Present ), Fred Klatz (Drummer's Collective and numerous other groups), Carlos Vivanco, Elliott
    Levin, and Joel Trieger, as well as Gloria Tropp. another prog-rock band performing in many NY venues including monthly sold out shows at the Knitting Factory.
    They recorded a yet unreleased studio album that has some strong flavors of Nazca Univers Zero mixed with downtown type of jazz influence
    Good stuff too bad it never got released

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Any of you know The Devil's Breakfast ?
    Another prog-rock band performing in many NY venues including monthly sold out shows at the Knitting Factory.
    They recorded a yet unreleased studio album that has some strong flavors of Nazca Univers Zero mixed with downtown type of jazz influence
    Good stuff too bad it never got released
    Hello Udi: I only know the same ... time will tell :-)
    Regards.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

love the 2 Nazcas... has Arturo Meza been mentioned?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Jose Luis Fernandez Ledesma - Sol Central (2000) - ordered
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just heard from Arteria that a new album will be coming out early next year, woo woo!!

One of the new tracks

Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 08-04-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I bought a bunch of Mexican prog LPs back in the 90s, but it's not really my thing. I recently sold Decibel, NAZCA, Chac Mool, and Grupo Nuevo Mexico on eBay. Still available:
    Via Lactea, La Caja, High Fidelity Orchestra, Mandragora(2), Nirgal Vallis, Nobilis Factum, Musicante(2), Jorge Reyes, Iconoclasta, Alux Nahual

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eternal_mess...1&_ipg=&_from=
    Last edited by Calabasas_Trafalgar; 08-05-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Jim, your link takes me to the items I'm watching in my eBay.

Jim, your link goes to "My eBay" page (and logically takes me to my eBay rather than your listings).

As for Mexican prog, I second the Ledesma recommendation - haven't heard much but all I had was very good to excellent. For a slightly more traditional sound check out Flught's first LP from the early 1980s - they have some very curious symphonic thing going on there, with a strangely minimalist attitude (totally unlike the big-5 symph), very few comparisons I can think of would be Wapassou or the first Pierrot Lunaire album. Also, High Fidelity Orchestra have been mentioned, so I just have to push their criminally underrated, obscure second album, "My Girl", which is basically a 12" EP, with a running time of 20 minutes or so. It hasn't been reissued, but still can be bought for cheap. Four killer tunes with crazy wailing voices atop a weird avant / new wave mix, there's nothing else quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hobo Chang Ba wrote:
    *I recently bought the album by Erehia which was formed by an ex-member of Nazca. Haven't listened to it yet though so I can't comment on how it is.*

It´s really good a la Univers Zero, Zoyd, Crimson, Zappa ... dark, heavy, hyper with its own personality.
    I's rather liken it to Ruins in that Erehia essentially was a duo working with bass/electrified cello and drums/perc in a stop/start dynamic that recalls "brutal prog" and bands such as The Flying Luttenbachers and Grand Ulena. But Erehia definitely had their very own sound. I believe their CD is way gone though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Jim, your link goes to "My eBay" page (and logically takes me to my eBay rather than your listings).

As for Mexican prog, I second the Ledesma recommendation - haven't heard much but all I had was very good to excellent. For a slightly more traditional sound check out Flught's first LP from the early 1980s - they have some very curious symphonic thing going on there, with a strangely minimalist attitude (totally unlike the big-5 symph), very few comparisons I can think of would be Wapassou or the first Pierrot Lunaire album. Also, High Fidelity Orchestra have been mentioned, so I just have to push their criminally underrated, obscure second album, "My Girl", which is basically a 12" EP, with a running time of 20 minutes or so. It hasn't been reissued, but still can be bought for cheap. Four killer tunes with crazy wailing voices atop a weird avant / new wave mix, there's nothing else quite like that.
    sorry guys. Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eternal_mess...1&_ipg=&_from=

Based on these clips, I just got:

Nazca - Estacion De Sombra
    Arteria - Cuatro Visiones
    Decibel - El Poeta Del Ruido
    October Equus - Saturnal

Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting

When I was in Mexico last yeat Sean M. (see thread on Electronic Meditation) did the DJ fill-in thing and played a whole show on Mexican Prog. He played

Cast, Iconoclasta, High Fidelity Orchestra, Caja de Pandora, Nobilis Factum, Galie, Sol & Deneb, Ledesma / Botello, Nirgal Vallis, Flüght

All very worthy bands

The show is actually still available for streaming at :

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/11190.html

I'll add that if you liked the José Luis Fernández Ledesma Q then the already mentioned Nirgal Vallis may also fall in your wheelhouse, as it were, being a previous band. Excellent release

Here's the whole Y murió la tarde LP

Last edited by markinottawa; 08-13-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Galie
    Their very first s/t album is outstanding, but has never been given a proper CD-issue IIRC.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Their very first s/t album is outstanding, but has never been given a proper CD-issue IIRC.
    It did, back in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    This is actually another Ledesma album, but not mentioned above or on his web-site. It is a collaboration with the artist named Alquimia. This album was released by ReR.