Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins I can barely hold a drumstick

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I got a different feeling from watching him. He didn't seem like he doesn't want to do it -- he was even making suggestions during rehearsals for songs and how to structure the changes from one to another. That's not something he would do if he wasn't into the idea of performing with the guys. If he didn't want to do it, I don't think he would be there. There's been a lot of unnecessary conjecture about it, IMO.
    I think there was one point though, where he said he wouldn’t be disappointed if the whole thing was canceled.

Ember
    As one who never attends stadium concerts, or concerts by bands that have ceased producing new music, but who is a fan of all versions of Genesis, the documentary left me with mixed feelings.

Phil’s voice was stronger that I expected, but it sound’s like an old man’s voice. Tony and Mike do not sound like old men, so there’s a disconnect. Minus Phil, it sounds like Genesis. He sings, and it sounds too much like parody.

The visuals and stage production look glorious, really top-notch stuff, but that’s all third-party production. I don’t doubt it will be an electrifying and satisfying show, but it’s the work of Genesis Inc., and it would look and sound the same with any competent musicians playing the parts, and sound better with a less impaired singer.

Steve Hackett puts on a better Genesis concert, IMO, and so does The Musical Box. But of course they don’t play the post-W&W repertoire, so there’s that.

It remains to be seen how “on” Phil can get, and how he performs in front of 20000 paying fans. He’s clearly brought his voice back a good distance from that Jimmy Fallon embarrassment, and even from the earliest rehearsal footage in this documentary. But they’ll need those videos if it’s just five guys standing or sitting still for two hours.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I would REALLY love to see all this in a more positive way but no matter how hard I try I can't, pictures don't lie. Maybe am I depressed myself ?

But there IS definitely a very positive point in this tour that no one has mentioned yet: the unique opportunity offered to Nick (Phil's son) to play in front of huge audiences in a iconic band is an exceptional professional and human experience for a 19 YO young musician, perhaps the best gift his father could give him. And from what I've seen so far I have no doubts he will be up to his task.
    I'm guessing you're not a drummer?

Phil's voice has that nasal quality that used to show up when he'd tag ow-ow on the end of lines in the past. It was annoying then, but now it seems like it's his normal voice.
    As for the drumming, the kid seems a little heavy handed in the docu, but he'll probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I'm guessing you're not a drummer?
    Hopefully not, they don't age well...

But what was the point of your comment ?

Technically speaking Nick Collins is perfectly able to play the current Genesis live repertoire which doesn't require very high level drumming skills (or maybe only for a couple of songs). He's not Bruford or Thompson (yet ?) but who cares ? He doesn't need to play National Health tunes.

And if such a giant (stadium type) tour with an iconic band is a good (or bad) experience for a young drummer is debatable, I'm sure he will benefit from the best logistics and assistance available. Nothing comparable to his father's debut in the band 50 years ago.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-13-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    People age differently. Steve Hackett is doing push ups on stage, and his guitar skills have never been sharper.

2:10

That wig doesn't look a day over 54!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Ok, so I watched the PBS Last Domino? documentary. It's very well done, the band sounds great and the stage/light show looks awesome. But poor Phil. He was weak and slow during those rehearsals a year or more ago. I can't imagine he's gotten better. I really did want to see this tour but for the price tag and the thought of watching a decrepit Phil Collins sitting in an office chair trying to sing these songs, I couldn't pull the trigger.

The band sounds so good and Mike and Tony still seem very energetic. I wonder if this will be Phil's send-off into retirement and they will consider a new vocalist for a new album and another tour. After all, there is a question mark on the tour name, though there is no question that Phil is done after this.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I wonder if this will be Phil's send-off into retirement and they will consider a new vocalist for a new album and another tour.
    Never say never, but I think after their last experience doing that, there's almost no chance they'd do it again at this point.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Never say never, but I think after their last experience doing that, there's almost no chance they'd do it again at this point.
    What's Peter Gabriel doing these days?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    What's Peter Gabriel doing these days?
    Probably still working on that album that he was "committed to" in 2007, they made him unable to do the proposed The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway that was apparently put forth at the start of that particular round of reunion talks.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    That wig doesn't look a day over 54!
    Wait, this is a wig he wears on stage? I had no idea lol. I thought he just kept the hair dye on tap! That said, the dude is still bringing it as a musician and his band is fantastic.

The PBS doc made me quite sad for Phil. I wish medical science were farther along in being able to repair nerve damage. The backup singers should help live.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Wait, this is a wig he wears on stage? I had no idea lol. I thought he just kept the hair dye on tap! That said, the dude is still bringing it as a musician and his band is fantastic.
    I wish I could find the interview where Banks pokes fun at that, saying that Hackett is the only one who's never gone grey, and that "we're all a bit suspicious". It was from within the last ten years, either a video or audio interview, not print, but I've never been able to find it again.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    MY GOD WITH THAT POSTURE DOING PUSHUPS HE'LL BE IN A WHEELCHAIR WITHIN 3 YEARS
    Hey, He-Man,Let's see how you do push-ups when you're in your 70s!

By the power of Greyskull..... arggghhhhh!!!! ... thud!!!
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It's awesome when people ignore your comments, isn't it? Well, I appreciate the other side of the story anyways.

Neil
    In all honesty, I understand if anyone wants to ignore me. I'm probably not much more than an annoying presence in these Genesis tour threads. So much of the discussion has centered around the sadness of Phil's decline, which is undeniable and depressing to think about, but is that really what he needs right now? I want to also point out the positives about this reunion, and there are many positives.

Retirement for Phil has never lasted for very long in the past. Performing seems to be in his blood, which is why I think he wants to do this tour and share the stage with his old friends and his son a for a few more shows.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Steve Hackett puts on a better Genesis concert, IMO, and so does The Musical Box. But of course they don’t play the post-W&W repertoire
    Win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Steve Hackett puts on a better Genesis concert, IMO, and so does The Musical Box. But of course they don’t play the post-W&W repertoire, so there’s that.
    Well, it's a form of Genesis, but it's not the be-all-end-all of Genesis for me. I know for many prog-heads, anything Genesis did after ~1978 doesn't have much value to them. Steve is definitely playing to that part of the fan base, I'm glad that he does it, and he puts on a great show (I saw him in 2014).

If the only thing that matters to a person is hearing the music reproduced faithfully by a band onstage, then I can understand why it wouldn't matter to them whether they see the current Genesis lineup or a tribute band. It's not about hearing the original musicians anymore at that point. It's different for me, but that's just me. I'm not much of a prog-head anymore anyway.

In all honesty, I understand if anyone wants to ignore me. I'm probably not much more than an annoying presence in these Genesis tour threads. So much of the discussion has centered around the sadness of Phil's decline, which is undeniable and depressing to think about, but is that really what he needs right now? I want to also point out the positives about this reunion, and there are many positives.
    What user name does Phil Collins occupy at Progressive Ears?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What user name does Phil Collins occupy at Progressive Ears?
    Touch, my man.

Phil could potentially see the discussion if he went looking. Admittedly a slim possibility though.

If the only thing that matters to a person is hearing the music reproduced faithfully by a band onstage, then I can understand why it wouldn't matter to them whether they see the current Genesis lineup or a tribute band. It's not about hearing the original musicians anymore at that point.
    I've been checking out some of the reaction videos that are swarming all over YT these days, and for the younger guys especially I think it's great that Steve Hackett gives them an opportunity to experience the power and beauty of that music in a live setting. Yeah, it's only one of those original members, but -- other than The Musical Box shows -- it's the next best thing.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I've been checking out some of the reaction videos that are swarming all over YT these days, and for the younger guys especially I think it's great that Steve Hackett gives them an opportunity to experience the power and beauty of that music in a live setting. Yeah, it's only one of those original members, but -- other than The Musical Box shows -- it's the next best thing.
    I'm inclined to agree. And if it helps get more young people into that great music, then that's even better.

I'm inclined to agree. And if it helps get more young people into that great music, then that's even better.
    One of the greatest things I saw 5 years ago, was the Baltimore chapter of the School of Rock students putting on the music of Genesis which was primarily focused on the 70s.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I have to admit that I don't get the whole "reaction video" thing. I've watched a few, and most make just a few comments after. More "review" is accomplished with facial expressions while the vid plays. And, who gives a flying boink what these people think? It's not that any of them have savaged something I love, it's just that opinions are like...you know.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have to admit that I don't get the whole "reaction video" thing. I've watched a few, and most make just a few comments after. More "review" is accomplished with facial expressions while the vid plays. And, who gives a flying boink what these people think? It's not that any of them have savaged something I love, it's just that opinions are like...you know.
    Totally agree. I'll never get the appeal of those. And I'm endlessly annoyed by having to sift through them while searching for something specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Totally agree. I'll never get the appeal of those. And I'm endlessly annoyed by having to sift through them while searching for something specific.
    I thought their appeal is letting you fool yourself and think, yeah, my musical taste is so great, it is just blowing these noobs away! Take that noobs!

If the only thing that matters to a person is hearing the music reproduced faithfully by a band onstage, then I can understand why it wouldn't matter to them whether they see the current Genesis lineup or a tribute band. It's not about hearing the original musicians anymore at that point. It's different for me, but that's just me. I'm not much of a prog-head anymore anyway.
    Dig. Eventually, of course, it will have to be about the music and not the personalities, though, won't it? The more I think about it, it's constructive and healthy to remember how absolutely, insanely lucky we all are to exist on this earth at the same time as these great musicians to even have the opportunity to see them perform their original compositions in person. And in that light, I absolutely understand why a person would be wanting to attend any shows that they are able, whether they be the original band or any other surviving members.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.