Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD : UK : UK

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    UK certainly changed my life!!
    Mine too (although in quite another manner as yours). It became the center-point of my collection, in which I tried to collect as many albums as possible of these four musicians, with Holdsworth as the main focus.
    I still got the self-made family-tree of those years somewhere.

UK, DM and the Live were the first CDs (with all the Synergy/Larry Fast) albums that I ordered from a now defunct (or absorbed by others) CDnow company in 1994 when I was posted in Kuwait. Old oves Die Hard as they say in Triumviratland. Love them to this day and ITDON is an essential component of any playlist to this very day. Eddie Jobson taught me (virtually) everything I wanted to know about them keys... Changing one's life indeed.....!!!!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Mine too (although in quite another manner as yours). It became the center-point of my collection, in which I tried to collect as many albums as possible of these four musicians, with Holdsworth as the main focus.
    I still got the self-made family-tree of those years somewhere.
    Yes, Holdsworth has been my main guy too! I think I have just about everything. I don’t have many boots, mainly because Allan hated them. I actually got into U.K. Because of Bruford. He’s always been my favorite drummer and as soon as I heard about U.K. I was at the local record shop with cash In hand. I had heard of Allan first on If You Can’t Stand the Heat. Bought that on release day too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic album!

I first heard U.K. through the radio broadcast " Live from the Paradise Theater" in Boston.

It may have been part of the King Biscuit Flower Hour, I can't recall.

Anyway, it got me into Holdsworth and everyhing that followed.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Classic album!

I first heard U.K. through the radio broadcast " Live from the Paradise Theater" in Boston.

It may have been part of the King Biscuit Flower Hour, I can't recall.
    I don't recall the show's name, but it was a syndicated re-broadcast of a live broadcast from WBCN-FM in Boston, which I recorded from the radio because I was underage for admission to the Paradise. The drinking age was 18 and I was 17.

When Bruford showed up at the same venue 2 years later (link to somebody's decent audience tape), I once again missed out because the MF-ers raised the drinking age to 20 effective April 1st of '79 (no joke) and didn't grandfather in those like me who had turned 18 between January 1st and April 1st.

Anyway, the rebroadcast of UK cut it down for use as an hour long show by chopping out Forever Until Sunday, which I preserved from my 8-track recording, here:

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Another life changing moment for me at Penn's Landing that night. I take the UK album and concert as a whole to this day, the songs, the memory the weather, Philadelphia, unforgettable! I love everything about it.
    I was there too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    All time favorite for me that came along when things were getting grim for Prog.
    Same.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I was moving stuff around in the closet earlier and came across this. A friend in high school snagged it from a record store that was throwing it out.

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I noticed Jobson & co. played the track during the reunion-period as can be heard on Curtain Call.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    All time favorite for me that came along when things were getting grim for Prog.
    Oh, the Grim was just getting started…

I bought the album upon release, and loved it. I vaguely remember the radio ads for it. Polydor made quite a push for it. I also bought a UK t-shirt from an ad in Creem or Circus, the remains of which I still have, I think. Unfortunately, I missed the tour. Information was harder to come by in those days, not living in a large city, and they came and went without me knowing about it. The standout for me was (and is) the "In The Dead Of Night" suite, which is certainly one of the better tracks from the latter half of the 70s, imo. The album has only grown in stature for me over the decades (a rarity for me,) and would be on a shortlist of Prog-Rock favorites. The follow-up, Danger Money, while still excellent, doesn't reach quite the same heights. Happy to have them both, (and the live album,) but it's one of the tragedies of Rock history that this band didn't hold together and produce more albums. Imagine the possibilities.

Oh, and I have that wall hanging too. Pulled it off ebay for 15 bucks several years ago.