Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel So

Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel So

Y’all have likely seen these “Classic Albums” documentaries on PBS. These actually originated on the AXS channel which is on Sat and Cable. Just watched the above. Who knew that percussionists Jerry Marotta, Stewart Copeland and Manu Katche worked with PG and Daniel Lanois to painstakingly record that percussion master piece. PG describes Stewart Copeland as a virtuoso high hat player. Peter actually didn’t want any symbols, but Lanois persuaded Peter to go with them, and Peter asked Stewart to do play his high hat. One of the best docs about music creation and recording, I’ve seen. PG describes his creative process as slow and methodical. The result speaks for itself.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

The engineer describes his emotions as intense hearing Kate Bush sing “Don’t Give Up”.

Joni Mitchell and Larry Klein meet PG. Larry Klein plays bass on some tracks as PG’s preference. Peter Hammil and Tears for Fears were in that Beckington area in countryside England, and there was much studio hopping. As many know PG played on Joni’s recording of My Secret Places.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Y’all have likely seen these “Classic Albums” documentaries on PBS. These actually originated on the AXS channel which is on Sat and Cable.
    AXS is just one of many channels that have shown these syndicated shows, which according to Wikipedia was "made by Isis Productions and distributed by Eagle Rock Entertainment."

I remember some of these episodes from VH1, I believe it was, long before AXS TV even existed.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Maybe I need to revisit - but I've never really got into any of his albums after the first one.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Apparently, the video for this was included in the PG So box set.

I need to watch this. SO was my first introduction to Peter Gabriel and I loved this album dearly way before I ever heard the word "prog." It's a moving, emotional and atmospheric experience, although two of the "hits," "Big Time" and "Sledgehammer" are the two songs I'm not super crazy about. They aren't terrible, just not on par with the rest of the album. Everything else is gold, IMO.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Just learned this is on Amazon Prime. And likely other albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I need to watch this. SO was my first introduction to Peter Gabriel and I loved this album dearly way before I ever heard the word "prog." It's a moving, emotional and atmospheric experience, although two of the "hits," "Big Time" and "Sledgehammer" are the two songs I'm not super crazy about. They aren't terrible, just not on par with the rest of the album. Everything else is gold, IMO.
    The entrance into the farm studio of Kate Bush was very affecting. The video work discussed on this represents some of the best work done in those MTV years. The Don’t Give Up video is so beautiful, as is the lady which really goes without saying

The engineer describes his emotions as intense hearing Kate Bush sing “Don’t Give Up”.
    Mine too whenever I hear a few seconds of it but they aren't positive ones.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I liked "Big Time" (mainly for the self deprecating lyric) and "Sledgehammer" is just okay, in my view.

However, "Red Rain" is the bees knees of the So album and one of the best tracks from that year, period.

Ah, yes, the Famous Charisma label was something else again. Interesting to note that So was the third to the last album released on that iconic record label:

1986 Peter Gabriel - So
    1986 Genesis - Invisible Touch
    1986 The World's Famous Supreme Team - Rappin’

I used to like/love this album but eventually I have become completely bored by it, that's overplay I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I used to like/love this album but eventually I have become completely bored by it, that's overplay I guess.
    Totally understand, but this piece is illuminating.

It was an album you needed to own, so you could play it to the pop-lovers that visited you, to proove that prog was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    It was an album you needed to own, so you could play it to the pop-lovers that visited you, to proove that prog was great.
    Peter had farm envy wrt Genesis who had a farm since ABACB. Invisible Touch is the other pop album you could play for your pop lovers. Coincidently, So and Invisible Touch were recorded and released in approximately the same time period from 85-86.

And of course, there's the movie scene with John Cusack standing outside his love interest's window, holding a boom box over his head, playing In Your Eyes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Mine too whenever I hear a few seconds of it but they aren't positive ones.
    Not a fan of Kate Bush?

The entrance into the farm studio of Kate Bush was very affecting. The video work discussed on this represents some of the best work done in those MTV years. The Don’t Give Up video is so beautiful, as is the lady which really goes without saying
    Agreed. I can't imagine anyone else singing her part on that song now.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I liked "Big Time" (mainly for the self deprecating lyric) and "Sledgehammer" is just okay, in my view.

However, "Red Rain" is the bees knees of the So album and one of the best tracks from that year, period.

OK, yeah, I do prefer "Big Time" over "Sledgehammer," but they are still my two least favorites on the album. And yes again, "Red Rain" is sublime.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not a fan of Kate Bush?
    I was lucky enough to be there on the night at Earl's Court in London when Kate guested at Gabriel's show for Don't Give Up, that was a special moment.

Y’all have likely seen these “Classic Albums” documentaries on PBS. These actually originated on the AXS channel which is on Sat and Cable. Just watched the above. Who knew that percussionists Jerry Marotta, Stewart Copeland and Manu Katche worked with PG and Daniel Lanois to painstakingly record that percussion master piece. PG describes Stewart Copeland as a virtuoso high hat player. Peter actually didn’t want any symbols, but Lanois persuaded Peter to go with them, and Peter asked Stewart to do play his high hat. One of the best docs about music creation and recording, I’ve seen. PG describes his creative process as slow and methodical. The result speaks for itself.
    Thanks for pointing this out I watched this and it was wonderful. thanks.

Agreed. I can't imagine anyone else singing her part on that song now.
    Paula Cole did a fine job on the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Excellent point! She was amazing. I stand corrected.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Dolly Parton was first asked to do this, IIRC. Would have loved to have heard that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    For damn sure