Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What percentage of your music collection consists of releases from 2010-2021?

What percentage of your music collection consists of releases from 2010-2021?

I teach 6th-12th grade choir. My students are always accusing me of being stuck in the 60's and 70's. As a result, I took some time this evening and perused the collection for an accurate percentage. My vinyl/CD collection consists of about 2000 items, which I'm sure for some of you is a miniscule amount. The final tally was 57 releases(less than 3%). I guess my students were right! I might provide a list if time allows it.
    Last edited by betty humpter; 09-02-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Most prog fans probably own less than ten albums from the 80's.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by betty humpter View Post
    I teach 6th-12th grade choir. My students are always accusing me of being stuck in the 60's and 70's. As a result, I took some time this evening and perused the collection for an accurate percentage. My vinyl/CD collection consists of about 2000 items, which I'm sure for some of you is a miniscule amount. The final tally was 58 releases(less than 3%). I guess my students were right! I might provide a list if time allows it.
    Hmmm... I have quite a lot of newer albums, but what the percentage would be I don't have a clue. I might be able to do some math via my Discogs. I'll give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have hundreds of albums from the 80s, it was a fantastic decade for music.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I guess reissues/remixes/remasters don't count, just "new" albums? Boy, that really narrows it down. We've had the "but it's new to me" discussion here before, when you buy an old album that you've never heard until now. I have bought a lot of those in the last 10 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hmmm... I have quite a lot of newer albums, but what the percentage would be I don't have a clue. I might be able to do some math via my Discogs. I'll give it a shot!

I could not agree more!

Live/Archival Box Sets/Remasters/Remixes and comps do not qualify.

I'm know I'm "different", but let's see:

Iron Maiden: all of the first seven studio albums (never did get Live After Death)
    Thin Lizzy: Chinatown, Thunder & Lightning, and Live/Life
    Judas Priest: British Steel, Point Of Entry, Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, Turbo, Live Priest, and Ram It Down
    Black Sabbath: Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, Live/Evil, and Born Again
    Blue Oyster Cult: The Revolution By Night and Extraterrestrial Live
    Queen: The Game, Flash Gordon, Hot Space
    The Rolling Stones: Tattoo You
    Magma: Retrospectiw Vol. 3, and Merci
    The Who: Face Dances and It's Hard
    Zebra: all three original studio albums
    Boston: Third Stage
    ELO: Time and Secret Messages
    Asia: First two albums
    GTR: well...there was only one album, was there?
    Whitesnake: Live...In The Heart Of The City, Come 'N Get It, Saints And Sinners, Slide It In, and Whitesnake (though the less said about that last one, the better)
    Gary Moore: G-Force, Corridors Of Power, Dirty Fingers, Victims Of The Future, We Want Moore, Run For Cover, and Rockin Every Night: Live In Japan
    Uriah Heep: Abominog
    Yes: all of three of 'em
    ABWH: the studio album
    Rainbow: Down To Earth, Difficult To Cure, Straight Between The Eyes, Bent of Shape and Finyl Vinyl
    Dokken: Tooth And Nail
    Tangerine Dream: Tangram, Hyperborea, White Eagle, Logos, Poland and LiveMiles
    Genesis: Duke and Abacab
    Allman Brothers Band: Reach For The Sky
    Jefferson Starship: Winds Of Change
    Al DiMeola: Sequencer and Soaring Through A Dream
    Hawkwind: Live 79, Levitation, Choose Your Masques, Church Of Hawkwind, Sonic Attack, Zones, Chronicle Of The Black Sword, Live Chronicles, and The Xenon Codex
    King Crimson: all three of them
    Motorhead: Ace Of Spades, No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith, Iron Fist, Another Perfect Day, Orgasmatron, Rock N Roll, No Sleep At All, and 1916.
    Duran Duran: Rio
    Thompson Twins: Set, A Product Of..., Quick Step And Side Kick
    Ultravox: Vienna
    Anthony Phillips: Private Parts And Pieces II-VII, Invisible Men, and 1984
    Phil Collins: No Jacket Required
    The Church: Of Skins And Hearts, The Blurred Crusade, Seance, Remote Luxury (technically not an album, but as the music was originally released in Australia as two EP's, six months apart, but it was released as the band's fourth album in North America and Europe), Heyday, Starfish, and Gold Afternoon Fix
    Terje Rypdal: To Be Continued, Eos, Chaser, The Singles Collection
    Grateful Dead: they put three studio albums and two live albums in the 80's, and I've got all five of them
    Triumph: Progressions Of Power, Allied Forces, Never Surrender and Stages
    Steve Vai: Flex-Able
    Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation

There's surely others, but tryign to remember all this dren is giving me a headache. I count 130 albums right there, that doesn't include non album singles and EP's (OK, so most of those have on compilations or as bonus tracks on CD reissues, so frelling what).

As for 2010-2020, I've got a few things, like the Backhand album (remember LOVING them at Progday in 2014), I've got a bunch of Steve Roach and Forrest Fang albums from that time period, as well both volumes of 3rdDegree's Ones & Zeroes. I got the Backhand album, THrough The Turbulence. But I admittedly haven't heard much new music. I just don't have a way of hearing stuff anymore. Yeah, I know, follow the links that are posted here or on Facebook to Youtube or whatever, yeah sure, but it seems to work better for me these days when I can hear the music live, and I just don't get many opportunities anymore. NEARfest is gone and ain't coming back, adn I'm unlikely to ever get to ProgDay ever again, so those options are gone... (shrug)

The Knells-Self Titled
    Adrianne Lenker-Songs and Instrumentals
    Grouper-Ruins
    Magma-Felicite Thosz, Slag Tanz, Zess
    Mew-+-, Visuals
    Manna Mirage-Blue Dogs
    Diratz-Self Titled
    Mike Keneally-Wing Beat Fantastic, You Must be this Tall
    Guided by Voices-Warp and Woof
    Frogg Cafe-Bateless Edge
    Floating Points-Elaenia, Promises
    Field Music-Plumb
    Echolyn-Windows, I Heard you Listening
    Bob Drake-Lawn Ornaments
    David Crosby-For Free
    William Drake-Revere Read
    Kate Bush-50 Words for Snow
    Bowie-Next Day, Blackstar
    Big Big Train-English Electric 1 and 2
    Beardfish-The Void
    Beach Boys-That's Why God Made the Radio
    Advent-Silent Sentinel
    All Tears on Earth-A Drop of Light
    Aksak Maboul-Figures
    Steven Wilson-Grace for Drowning, Raven, Hand Cannot Erase
    Storm Corrosion- Self Titled
    Scott Walker-Bish Bosch, Soused
    Thinking Plague-Decline and Fall
    Sakamoto-Async
    Radiohead-Moon Shaped Pool
    Van Dyke Parks-Super Chief, Songs Cycled
    Randy Newman-Dark Matter
    Kendrick Lamar-Good Kid/Maad City, Pimp a Butterfly, Untitled
    Kamal Williams-The Return
    Robert Glasper-Black Radio Recovered
    Flying Lotus-Cosmogramma
    Thundercat-Drunk
    Emma-Jean Thackray-Yellow
    D'angelo-Black Messiah
    Ed Motta-Perpetual Gateway, AOR
    Janelle Monae-ArchAndroid
    Childish Gambino-Awaken my Love
    Jack O' the Clock-Leaving California
    Last edited by betty humpter; 09-03-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Here’s how mine breaks down:

Before 1970: 6%
    1970-1979: 28.5%
    1980-1989: 11.5%
    1990-1999: 17%
    2000-2009: 19.5%
    2010-2021: 17.5%

I will say with each passing decade the music is less and less “remembered” by folks, and likely to have less musical/cultural impact in the future or be completely forgotten.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

There are a few thousand titles in my collection.

About 1/8 from the 2010s until now, which I've found to be a productive phase in rock development notwithstanding the decline in "organized industry"; consequently a lot of what I own are by independent artists, labels and enterprises. Somewhat more from 2000-2010, I guess, but the 1990s mostly left me cold - also in terms of "prog rock". I've still got a few hundred titles from that decade, though.

The major bulk of my collection is 60s and 70s rock, unsurprisingly. However, I do -not- have a lot of stuff from before 1965, and for some reason little from the years 1983-88.

Altogether my general scale of purchase and observation has diminished significantly these past 6-7 years or so. It could be cultural recession, but basically I believe it to be down to my own age and drifting interests. I'm more into guns and violence now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

An interesting exercise. Of those I classify "Prog Rock," and keep in my spreadsheet, the breakdown is as follows:

1960s: .4%
    1970s: 39.6%
    1980s: 9.8%
    1990s: 9.32%
    2000s: 16.57%
    2010s: 22.15%
    2020s: 2.15%

I think I kept up pretty well in more recent times, though with the demise of the CD that trend won't continue. I'm most surprised that the percentage of 1990s releases is so low. I'd have guessed it was higher because that was a pretty cool time where I discovered a lot, but the numbers don't lie.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It could be cultural recession, but basically I believe it to be down to my own age and drifting interests. I'm more into guns and violence now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    An interesting exercise. Of those I classify "Prog Rock," and keep in my spreadsheet, the breakdown is as follows:

1960s: .4%
    1970s: 39.6%
    1980s: 9.8%
    1990s: 9.32%
    2000s: 16.57%
    2010s: 22.15%
    2020s: 2.15%

I think I kept up pretty well in more recent times, though with the demise of the CD that trend won't continue. I'm most surprised that the percentage of 1990s releases is so low. I'd have guessed it was higher because that was a pretty cool time where I discovered a lot, but the numbers don't lie.

Bill
    How do you figure out the percentage that accurate?

Without counting, I'd say less than 2%
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Tried to work it out and I own 2108 CD's and 281 are from 2010 till 2021

Without counting I'd say at least 20 %.

I still buy as much new music as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    As I say, I have all my Prog CDs in a spreadsheet. I simply filtered the sheet on a particular decade, got the total for that decade, and divided it by the total. It's not 100% perfect as there are a few compilations I have that are listed under their year of release that contain albums from earlier, but that is relatively trivial. Generally, when I get albums that are two records on one CD, or four albums across two CDs, I list each album individually. There are a few cases where that isn't possible, but it wouldn't change the numbers that much.

If it wasn't super easy for me to run the calculation, I wouldn't have done it!

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Most prog fans probably own fewer than ten COPIES OF GTR.
    I fixed that for you

I'll spare you all the annoyance by not posting every title I have that is pre-2010 with the understanding that you likely won't read it anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

NBC has been airing a game show called College Bowl. As the name implies, teams of 3 students form each school engage in an academic competition. One student on one team is heavily into music, and his only interest is in music from the 70s and 80s.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Since I had to look up all of the dates, I cheated and left out movies, various artists releases. classical and Christmas music, but kept everything else. I had name, title, is it loaned out, my ranking and a couple of other fields but no recording date. That was a mistake which I fixed and now I'm going to sleep!

1930 0.15%
    1950 0.74%
    1960 3.27%
    1970 24.70%
    1980 27.23%
    1990 30.06%
    2000 8.78%
    2010 5.06%

Easy to see when I had kids!

Took a quick look, and it seems that about 70% of my albums are from 1990 to today with the 80's and 70's coming in at about 12% each. the remaining 6% are scattered from the 20's to the 60's
    Lots of rounding going on. The 90's are about 28% of the 70. I have purchased a lot more recent music over the last 20 years than old stuff.
    Plus there is a small chunk of 'unknown'. And I have several hundred vinyl albums from the 70's and early 80's as well as a bunch of cassettes that I have not duplicated in cd or ripped yet.
    Retirement tasks.
    With those taken in to account it may balance the decades a bit.
    It's roughly 25% 2010-2020 522 albums so far. 1006 since 2000
    Last edited by markwoll; 09-04-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    As I say, I have all my Prog CDs in a spreadsheet. I simply filtered the sheet on a particular decade, got the total for that decade, and divided it by the total. It's not 100% perfect as there are a few compilations I have that are listed under their year of release that contain albums from earlier, but that is relatively trivial. Generally, when I get albums that are two records on one CD, or four albums across two CDs, I list each album individually. There are a few cases where that isn't possible, but it wouldn't change the numbers that much.

If it wasn't super easy for me to run the calculation, I wouldn't have done it!

Bill
    - I have mine in an Access database...wonder if it is possible to do the same.

1950s 163 (1.14%)
    1960s 1,231 (8.66%)
    1970s 3,072 (21.6%)
    1980s 2,691 (18.9%)
    1990s 3,070 (21.6%)
    2000s 2,169 (15.2%)
    2010s 1,677 (11.8%)
    2020s 138 (0.97%)

To the OP: I have no idea (because I don't list my bundles of albums), but I'd say that the 10's albums are more numerous on my shelves than the 00's, 90's & 80's for sure.
    FTM, I'd even say that my 10's acquisitions are more numerous than both my 80/90's together, as I've gotten rid a few albums (after reassessing them) from those two decades and I'm probably going to prune my noughties (00's) shelves over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Please insert smileys to accentuate your second degree humour

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm know I'm "different", but let's see:
    There's surely others, but tryign to remember all this dren is giving me a headache. I count 130 albums right there, that doesn't include non album singles and EP's (OK, so most of those have on compilations or as bonus tracks on CD reissues, so frelling what).
    A good deal of your 80's list is from 70's group that kept recording during the 80's, so it's kind of skewing it.
    But then again, from that principle, if you count Motorhead as a 70's band, should you consider RHCP as an 80's band, and not a 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Here’s how mine breaks down:
    Before 1970: 6%
    1970-1979: 28.5%
    1980-1989: 11.5%
    1990-1999: 17%
    2000-2009: 19.5%
    2010-2021: 17.5%
    I will say with each passing decade the music is less and less “remembered” by folks, and likely to have less musical/cultural impact in the future or be completely forgotten.
    I'd say that over 2/3 of mine comes from 60/70's (50's is negligible - to the point that the classic 1959 year in jazz, I count it as 60's)
    For the 80's, if it wasn't for RIO/Avant, I probably own much less than a couple of percentage points only.

As for your thought (that I bolded out), I'm not so sure, since the millenials of all walks of life (rap/techno/pop, etc...) make it a point not find what they call "dad rock" that worthy. Still 10 years ago, I would've agreed 100% with you, but our generations (called disrespectfully "boomers" by the millenials) are not having a good press anymore. Despite our "heritage" (flower/power/civil rights/may 68 in Paris, etc..), we will most likely come under heavy fire from youger generations four our environmental/climate heritage, and that might just reflect of the cultural freedom aspects of those decades. Let's face it, in that assessment, we (our rebel generations) were unable to curb the capitalist Great Acceleration (see the Anthropocene theorem) and are about to leave on grandkids a fucked-up planet, having lived such a comfortable life that very few will be able to match. I even fear this resentment could lead to physical acrimony towards everything we hold as "great achievements"

With that said and set aside, yes, I tend to think that indeed, the last few decades as not important (and tend to diminish the importance of the 30/40/50's music history), but millenials might just see the 80's & 90's (rap & techno) as their "mecca years".

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I still buy as much new music as I can.
    Yeah, same here but a lot of it comes from jazz (soul/spiritual-jazz et all), fairly few from "prog".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most likely through RYM listings - maybe Discogs provides the same tool.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.