Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New DEEP PURPLE album!

New DEEP PURPLE album!

https://www.ear-music.net/turning-to-crime/

It's all quite mysterious right now, but it appears as though a new album is on the way already after last year's Whoosh! (which I loved, as I've loved all three of the Ezrin-produced albums of the last decade... I hope he's onboard again.) I'm guessing they seized the opportunity with lockdowns preventing them from being on the road. Pretty great for a fan like me who loves all eras of their career, since I honestly thought Infinite would be the last one, and that will now be two albums ago.

I'm excited to see what they reveal in the next 35 days (according to the counter at the bottom of the page). Hopefully some little hints here and there will appear. Good fun!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great news! I too enjoy the Bob Ezrin trilogy. I think Whoosh is my least favorite of the bunch, but it's still a fun album. Glad to hear that Purple are still inspired to create new music.

Every time we think it's over, there's another one coming ! Good news if it's confirmed !
    With the two previous albums, the titles suggested that it might be the end, and now... who knows ?
    I just hope that it's better than those previous two albums, since I think they were OK but a bit lightweight (InFinite sounded... unfinished to my ears, and Whoosh a bit too poppy). I would like something a little more ambitious, although it may not be a realistic expectation at that point. Bring it on anyway.

Oh. It's a covers album. I must say, that's disappointing to me. Might be okay still, but just not what I was expecting or had hoped for. Out in late November.

01. Volume 1
    02. 7 And 7 Is (LOVE)
    03. Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu (Huey "Piano" Smith)
    04. Oh Well (FLEETWOOD MAC)
    05. Jenny Take A Ride! (MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS)
    06. Watching The River Flow (Bob Dylan)
    07. Let The Good Times Roll (Ray Charles & Quincy Jones)
    08. Dixie Chicken (LITTLE FEAT)
    09. Shapes Of Things (THE YARDBIRDS)
    10. The Battle Of New Orleans (Lonnie Donegan/Johnny Horton)
    11. Lucifer (BOB SEGER SYSTEM)
    12. White Room (CREAM)
    13. Caught In The Act (Medley)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh. It's a covers album. I must say, that's disappointing to me. Might be okay still, but just not what I was expecting or had hoped for. Out in late November.

01. Volume 1
    02. 7 And 7 Is (LOVE)
    03. Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu (Huey "Piano" Smith)
    04. Oh Well (FLEETWOOD MAC)
    05. Jenny Take A Ride! (MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS)
    06. Watching The River Flow (Bob Dylan)
    07. Let The Good Times Roll (Ray Charles & Quincy Jones)
    08. Dixie Chicken (LITTLE FEAT)
    09. Shapes Of Things (THE YARDBIRDS)
    10. The Battle Of New Orleans (Lonnie Donegan/Johnny Horton)
    11. Lucifer (BOB SEGER SYSTEM)
    12. White Room (CREAM)
    13. Caught In The Act (Medley)
    Rush did two of these on their FEEDBACK album as well. Real perennials.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

It'll be fun to check this out. Good mix of tunes. I *thought* this was a little too soon after Whoosh! for another studio LP of originals. So be it.

These guys are in a nice position. They are rich enough to do whatever they want and this seems like a good way to have some pandemic fun. And some fun that should be enjoyed by the fans too.

It might be good fun, I was just prematurely excited because of how much I love the most recent few studio albums. I'm interested to hear them do White Room, I can hear Gillan sing that in my head. (I always thought young Ian Anderson could have done that one justice too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It might be good fun, I was just prematurely excited because of how much I love the most recent few studio albums. I'm interested to hear them do White Room, I can hear Gillan sing that in my head. (I always thought young Ian Anderson could have done that one justice too.)
    I'd love their version of "Oh Well," too.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Gillan did New Orleans with his own band IIRC.

Looking forward to it in a big way!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Gillan did New Orleans with his own band IIRC.
    Yep, on Gillan's classic Future Shock record.

Looking forward to the new Purple album. Like Lorne, I'm slightly disappointed that it's a covers album, but it's Deep Purple. So for me, an essential purchase.

First taste...

^^ The verses remind me of The Byrds' version of Hey Joe.

Pace hasn't lost a step, has he?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    He really hasn't. I often list Paice/Glover among the more unsung rhythm sections in all of rock, despite the band itself being monstrously successful.

The new single sounds good to me. It's great to hear Paice in a more energetic style than on Whoosh.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ The verses remind me of The Byrds' version of Hey Joe.

He's keeping Paice....on his Paiste cymbals.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    He's keeping Paice....on his Paiste cymbals.
    OOPS!

Haiste makes waiste
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

The eons are closing
    Enjoyed that!!! Rock!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Enjoyed that!!! Rock!
    I did too! Some good fun there.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    One of my all-time favorite songs. Deep Purple did Peter Green proud.

The eons are closing
    I've played Oh Well and 7 & 7 is quite a few times over last couple o days.... fucking awesome.... inspired me to head back down to my home studio and work on my shit!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

When bands release tributes like this, it spells a few things: they have run out of creative ideas, making up for lost revenue due to lack of touring, the end of an era o simply to fulfill a contract release.
    But all things considered, I will most definitely pass on this no matter how fucking awesome some say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    When bands release tributes like this, it spells a few things: they have run out of creative ideas, making up for lost revenue due to lack of touring, the end of an era o simply to fulfill a contract release.
    But all things considered, I will most definitely pass on this no matter how fucking awesome some say it is.
    Or it's, "Hey, let's just do some of the songs we love playing."

If I'm not mistaken, DP released their so-called "last album" two albums ago, right? Consider these bonus tracks.