Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muffins Box Set

The Muffins Box Set

I am super happy to share this in case anyone hasnt seen yet -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7031...8634319948086/

If you aren't on FB, I posted:

-----

I am currently working on a multi-disc box set by THE MUFFINS, which is planned to include studio and live recordings from their entire history.

Nearly all of it will be previously unreleased.

It doesn't have a name yet and is still being played around with in a lot of ways, but at this point, we have about 6-8 CDs worth from the 70s and 80s, as well as the entire NEARFEST 2005 show on DVD, all of which the band has happily signed off on and all of which *I* am really pleased with and proud of.

I have not even begun to look at the 90s and 00s era, other than the NF show.

It will probably have a similar over-all esthetic to the Cuneiform Art Zoyd box.

The hope / plan is to have it out by the fall of 2022.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Steve - Will this set include the previously released studio albums, or is it virtually all new unreleased stuff? Thx.

Cuneiform Records is not going to make you re-buy the albums you already own.

You're welcome.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sweet!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The goal is to have live recordings of all the tunes from all the studio albums, as well as a few unreleased tunes, lots of improvisations, interesting 'one-offs', etc etc.

I found a 30' band rehearsal from 1979 that's pretty fascinating and etc etc etc etc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Art Zoyd set is among the top archival boxsets ever, so I am already looking forward to this one.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'm in on this of course. The art zoyd box is indeed one of the top archival boxsets ever and all the words spoken about this one make me a happy clam.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

If you aren't on FB, I posted:

-----

I am currently working on a multi-disc box set by THE MUFFINS, which is planned to include studio and live recordings from their entire history.

It doesn't have a name yet and is still being played around with in a lot of ways, but at this point, we have about 6-8 CDs worth from the 70s and 80s, as well as the entire NEARFEST 2005 show on DVD, all of which the band has happily signed off on and all of which *I* am really pleased with and proud of.

I have not even begun to look at the 90s and 00s era, other than the NF show.

It will probably have a similar over-all esthetic to the Cuneiform Art Zoyd box.

The hope / plan is to have it out by the fall of 2022.
    You're starting to repeat yourself...How old are you?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cuneiform Records is not going to make you re-buy the albums you already own.

You're welcome.
    Better to concentrate on your core mission of making us buy albums we don't own yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Better to concentrate on your core mission of making us buy albums we don't own yet.
    (another genuine laugh out loud here)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This sums up how I feel too. hahaha

"It's gonna be great !"

Hey Steve, you should start preorders soon, and people who preorder should get their name printed in the booklet!

I'm just kidding. Sort of. (I'm listening to 44 1/2 right now, which is what gave me the idea.) We could get Associate Producer credits, like with Maudlin of the Well!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We could get Associate Producer credits, like with Maudlin of the Well!
    You could, but you aren’t
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

PS - I am waiting for one Muffin to sign off on the last bit of work I did on the set and if so, the music selection is done.
    12 CDs, covering 1975-2010 + a DVD of the group at NEARFEST 2005.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ mouth, filling with excess saliva quickly.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

PS - I am waiting for one Muffin to sign off on the last bit of work I did on the set and if so, the music selection is done.
    He signed off last night. All the music is selected.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Sounds good!

He signed off last night. All the music is selected.
    Friggin awesome news! Great gravy its gonna be fantastic!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Oh my, my!!! Anticipation is now unabated!!

Can’t wait for this boxset!!! Love the Muffins I’ve been chatting with Paul Sears about this. On the edge of my seat. Very Awesome news😁

OK!

It’s promotional hype time.
    The Muffins ‘Baker’s Dozen’. 12 CDs and 1 DVD of previously unreleased material in a box with a huge booklet or booklets.
    All the CDs are finished and mastered. The DVD will be finished by the end of the month.
    The history of the band is finished and being proofread, along with the credits.
    Then it goes to the designer and hopefully off to the factory by the end of April! Whoooooooooooo!
    Here’s my (un proofread) take from the credits. This thing came out amazing. Thank you!

——————

When I was quite young, in 1974, I had the luck to stumble across The Muffins. Like many things when I was young, I did not have the experience to appreciate the importance of certain events or the unique opportunity afforded to me by these events until much later. Not only had I stumbled across a pretty good band, who would continually work and grow and soon enough become a GREAT band, but I had also stumbled upon what would eventually become the direction of my life’s work.

I was very involved with The Muffins / Random Radar from about 1975 until their initial end in 1981. I was on the board and was a very active member of the collective and eventually was the treasurer. I learned a lot about music and a lot about business and a lot about how art and commerce have to try to co-exist with each other in a capitalist situation, even if very uneasily. I was also very fortunate to have made some truly life-long friends during that time.

All of the lessons I learned with them and with the various folks in their orbit, many of whom have contributed their memories and photographs and work and spirit and love to this set, I took with me into my work with Wayside Music and especially with Cuneiform Records. What moves me about music? What makes it ‘great’? What makes a band ‘great’? What support systems do bands and musicians need? How do I work with ‘great music’ in a way that supports the music and also supports me (or at least doesn’t completely overwhelm and kill me and completely burn me out). Shockingly close to 50 years and over 500 releases later, I am still here. So I certainly must have learned something.

When I was presented by the band with the opportunity to put together a collection of previously unreleased recordings, I was very happy to do so. As a long time fan and champion of the band, as a long time friend of the band, and as a long time producer of music, I felt that this was within my abilities to do justice to what they were hoping for.

I went through dozens and dozens (and more dozens) of recordings to come up with the box you now hold in your hands. While reviewing the recordings, I made a few observations and decisions which are worth sharing.

I discovered that I wanted to present the music in mostly roughly chronological order because their music kept changing and evolving and I wanted each disc to be a stand alone and enjoyable musical experience that made sense within the box, but also within itself.

I listened to a lot of live shows that featured similar sets and decided that as much as it was possible, that I didn’t want to have more than a couple of versions of any one song in the collection, and that I should base my decisions on what version to pick based on performance first and sonics second. Since I didn’t want to have an over-abundance of takes of the same pieces, I decided to more heavily feature the group’s improvisations, as this was a very important aspect of the band and one that was very under-represented previously on their records, for obvious (commercial) reasons. I believe that the quality of this spontaneous work of theirs more than justifies this inclusion.

I allowed myself to include the complete January, 1979 rehearsal tape on Disc 7 because it is the only rehearsal tape to survive and even though it upped the duplication of compositions, I thought that what it brought to the box was very worthwhile, as it allows the listener to hear a little bit of what I heard in their practice room for years and years as I would visit after work or school to hear them rehearse. It represents a typical night of rehearsal, something that the band adhered to with an impressive work ethic. Just by chance, it also seems to have captured the first time that the band plays Zoom Resume successfully (hear Dave’s audible comment at the end, “We made it all the way through!”)

The band from 1975-1981 were insanely well rehearsed and there was relatively little needed from me in order to present great versions of great performances in extremely good archival sound. I just had to find as many recordings from the archive as possible, review them and make notes and then make my selections and my edits. Nearly all the recordings used from this era were live, stereo tapes.

As the band themselves say, during their reunion era they were playing exciting music and still being fully creative, but they were just not as well rehearsed. The fact that nearly all of the recordings that appear on this box from 1999 onward were multi-track performances which needed to be mixed to stereo in order to use them, allowed and led to my and Ian doing a bit more technical surgery to the recordings to present great sounding and solid performances. Even so, for the most part, these are also all live performances, presented just as they were performed.

I greatly appreciate the faith put in me by all the musicians in terms of my choices and assembly of what became “Baker’s Dozen”. I also greatly appreciate and want to acknowldge the excellent work of, and teamwork that I felt with sound engineer Ian Beabout who took my half-baked, idealistic and possibly impossible ideas and turned them into actual sonic reality. I’ve released music for decades and decades, but I have spent very little time in the studio itself and this box would never have worked out to be the great thing I think it is without Ian’s skills and knowledge.

I spent a huge amount of time working on this box and it gives me great pleasure to present it to the world. If the listener feels some of the wonder and awe I experienced hearing and seeing The Muffins perform and rehearse when I was in my teens and early 20s, then I have accomplished what I set out to do in assembling this set. – Steve Feigenbaum
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I’m in.