Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: Glass Hammer Announce October 15th Release

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    About those vocals....(mostly me btw...though Fred sings the opening lines of Into The Breach)...I wrote those last summer before we knew Hannah would be doing the album. So they're keyed for a male singer. Also, it wasn't supposed to be me, but a cameo for John Beagley, who sang on Dreaming City. Unfortunately he had surgery and could not sing. We waited till the last possible day, then I did the vocals. I've never been a fan of my own voice, especially when we have other singers far better. Anyway...that's how it happened.
    Glad you like the album. Truly!!!
    Steve
    I've always liked your vocals (Morannon Gate- awesome! And the Dreaming City title track) and Fred's too. They remind me of those early albums, which I still love.

  2. #27
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey JoJo View Post
    I've always liked your vocals (Morannon Gate- awesome! And the Dreaming City title track) and Fred's too. They remind me of those early albums, which I still love.
    They sometimes remind me of some of the (male) vocals from IZZ. I like them too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  3. #28
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,558
    I'm going to have to buy this new release!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey JoJo View Post
    I've always liked your vocals (Morannon Gate- awesome! And the Dreaming City title track) and Fred's too. They remind me of those early albums, which I still love.
    Thanks! Morannon Gate...my 'almost' Gene Simmons impersonation! I used to sing KISS tracks in my metal band in the 80s and could do a great Gene! lol
    Steve

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    About those vocals....(mostly me btw...though Fred sings the opening lines of Into The Breach)...I wrote those last summer before we knew Hannah would be doing the album.
    -Steve
    That makes complete sense - I certainly didn't mean my comment as a slight at all, I hope it wasn't taken as such. "Valkyrie" is my favorite GH album, and I believe there are a lot of yours and Fred's vocals on that one.

    I write most of the music and lyrics for the band I'm in, and there have been several times where I've said "well, I know "technically" better singers... but they're not here and this is MY story. So I'll just sing it myself!"

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    That makes complete sense - I certainly didn't mean my comment as a slight at all, I hope it wasn't taken as such. "Valkyrie" is my favorite GH album, and I believe there are a lot of yours and Fred's vocals on that one.

    I write most of the music and lyrics for the band I'm in, and there have been several times where I've said "well, I know "technically" better singers... but they're not here and this is MY story. So I'll just sing it myself!"
    I didn't take as a slight
    Steve

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    Thanks! Morannon Gate...my 'almost' Gene Simmons impersonation! I used to sing KISS tracks in my metal band in the 80s and could do a great Gene! lol
    Steve
    Well, now that I think of it, there's only a Gene Simmons "ooh yeah!" in there. The rest was pitched down, I think. Like a Klaatu song I vaguely remember.
    Steve

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    Well, now that I think of it, there's only a Gene Simmons "ooh yeah!" in there. The rest was pitched down, I think. Like a Klaatu song I vaguely remember.
    Steve
    Steve dropping the Klaatu reference. Nice.

  9. #34
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,570
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  10. #35
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,398
    ^ Nice review Lorne. I haven't heard the album yet, having just ordered it a few days ago, but it certainly sounds promising. I agree with what you said about the term "masterpiece," and I agree that TIS is Glass Hammer's high water mark.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  11. #36
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,558
    Enjoyable review Lorne.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Great review, and my experience after a few spins is very similar to yours.

    As much as I enjoy the "song-y" songs, my favorite part of the album are the three instrumentals in the middle. I would totally be down for a whole album of electronic-influenced tracks like "A Spell Upon His Mind" mixed with instrumental doom/stoner metal like "The Dark".

    The only song I'm not terribly keen on is "The Ogre of Archon," but that may be because the power of the preceding three songs cast a bit of a shadow. The other negative is that I have to wait for the third album of the trilogy!

    I challenge anyone to name a band that has had this long a run of high quality output across such a wide variety of styles. I would like to think their catalogue could warrant more discussion here.

  13. #38
    Listened to the whole thing twice so far — once at home, and once in a car ride back from visiting my cousin. Really good stuff here. I think it is probably the heaviest from GH so far, and it’s pretty cool. I think that “Steel (Fleekus Major)” is actually my favorite track at the moment. That’s subject to change of course, and “Hyperborea” is a great track as well.

    Been a fan of these guys since around 2004, and while I’ve preferred some albums over others, they deliver pretty much every time. The Inconsolable Secret didn’t appeal to me as much when I first heard it, but over the years I have really come to love it. I’ve got every release from 2000 onward, and some of my favorites would be Chronomotree, TIS, If, The Breaking of the World, and Chronomonaut.

    I’m intensely interested to see how this trilogy concludes and ties into TIS. And I’m always game to discuss their music.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Listened to the whole thing twice so far ó once at home, and once in a car ride back from visiting my cousin. Really good stuff here. I think it is probably the heaviest from GH so far, and itís pretty cool. I think that ďSteel (Fleekus Major)Ē is actually my favorite track at the moment. Thatís subject to change of course, and ďHyperboreaĒ is a great track as well.

    Been a fan of these guys since around 2004, and while Iíve preferred some albums over others, they deliver pretty much every time. The Inconsolable Secret didnít appeal to me as much when I first heard it, but over the years I have really come to love it. Iíve got every release from 2000 onward, and some of my favorites would be Chronomotree, TIS, If, The Breaking of the World, and Chronomonaut.

    Iím intensely interested to see how this trilogy concludes and ties into TIS. And Iím always game to discuss their music.
    Glad you like it!
    How does it tie into TIS? Listen to the closing lines of "The Forlorn Hope" and you will see!
    Steve

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Great review, and my experience after a few spins is very similar to yours.

    As much as I enjoy the "song-y" songs, my favorite part of the album are the three instrumentals in the middle. I would totally be down for a whole album of electronic-influenced tracks like "A Spell Upon His Mind" mixed with instrumental doom/stoner metal like "The Dark".

    The only song I'm not terribly keen on is "The Ogre of Archon," but that may be because the power of the preceding three songs cast a bit of a shadow. The other negative is that I have to wait for the third album of the trilogy!

    I challenge anyone to name a band that has had this long a run of high quality output across such a wide variety of styles. I would like to think their catalogue could warrant more discussion here.
    About the electronic music, my plan is to release an album of that in conjunction with the release of my book, "Skallagrim - In The Vales Of Pagarna". That should happen next year (early I hope). I wouldn't think of that as part of the trilogy though. We've got something big (musically speaking) for the next actual Glass Hammer album. I think you'll like both though.
    I do really like "Ogre" though, as it sounds nothing like any other song we've done (and I wrote it). I placed it in the best place I could on the album, but it does come out of left field, doesn't it!

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The Inconsolable Secret didn’t appeal to me as much when I first heard it, but over the years I have really come to love it.
    I think this is quite common ..... particularly with prog. I'm often vaguely disappointed if I really like an album on first listen .... usually means it wont stand the test of time for me.

  17. #42
    Interesting release ….. thought I had tamed all spurious vibrations in my listening room. Apparently not, had to turn the sub down a bit (it’s a ‘monster’ sub).

  18. #43
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,979
    I agree that the stretch of three instrumental tracks is a highlight. The song Hyperborea is also quite the Rush-fest. Steve’s bass sounds excellent on that, and throughout.

    So now I’m on a GH binge!
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long dayís toil.

  19. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree that the stretch of three instrumental tracks is a highlight. The song Hyperborea is also quite the Rush-fest. Steve’s bass sounds excellent on that, and throughout.

    So now I’m on a GH binge!
    So much so that if I were Steve or Fred I might not be all that surprised to get a call from Mr. Lee and Mr. Lifeson's solicitor haha. Hyperborea sounds in parts a little too much like Hemispheres. It never goes on too long, however, given the nature of the track. If imitation is truly the highest form of flattery, then the surviving Rush guys can smile as they spin this. There is a spot in Dreaming City where the Rush influence is pretty obvious as well (more 2112 there) but less pure imitation. Just my take listening through a nice set of cans.
    Taken as a whole, this is a solid, rocking release. I like how GH can sound like such a different band separated by only one, or a few albums. Many prog bands and many prog fans like repetition, myself included. Hannah Pryor has a better voice for this kind of rock than previous GH vocalists, save maybe for Brad Marler long ago on Chronomotree. He had the style and tone, but not the same level of strength I hear in Hannah's voice.

  20. #45
    My copy arrives later today....
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    So much so that if I were Steve or Fred I might not be all that surprised to get a call from Mr. Lee and Mr. Lifeson's solicitor haha. Hyperborea sounds in parts a little too much like Hemispheres. It never goes on too long, however, given the nature of the track. If imitation is truly the highest form of flattery, then the surviving Rush guys can smile as they spin this. There is a spot in Dreaming City where the Rush influence is pretty obvious as well (more 2112 there) but less pure imitation. Just my take listening through a nice set of cans.
    Taken as a whole, this is a solid, rocking release. I like how GH can sound like such a different band separated by only one, or a few albums. Many prog bands and many prog fans like repetition, myself included. Hannah Pryor has a better voice for this kind of rock than previous GH vocalists, save maybe for Brad Marler long ago on Chronomotree. He had the style and tone, but not the same level of strength I hear in Hannah's voice.

    I'm not too worried about a call from the solicitor I wrote the beginning and end of that song, and the inspiration was actually a very modern sounding indie song. It's just that guitar tone that sells it as Rush. I grew up practicing and learning bass to only a handful of albums, primarily, Yes - Yes Shows, and Rush - (you guessed it) Hemispheres. The first song I ever learned on bass was 2112! And what I end up playing on bass is often unavoidably a mashup of Squire and Lee. But I don't think anything in Hyperborea was lifted from a Rush tune. There is a chord that is called the Alex Lifeson chord. Check this out:



    Don't remember if we used it on that song or not, but it is on The Ogre Of Archon.
    Glad you like the album. We worked very hard on it. Hyperborea makes me smile every time I hear it!
    Steve

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •