Thread: RIP Ron Bushy

RIP Ron Bushy

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sad news. Rest in peace, Ron.

So sorry to hear this. Iron Butterfly was my first concert: December 1969 in the band's hometown of San Diego. The concert was recorded for the Iron Butterfly Live album and was by some accounts the last gig by the classic lineup until they did a reunion tour in the '80s. I just pulled out the In-A-Gadda-Da Vida album for a listen a few days ago. Farewell Ron.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was probably the first album I bought with a side long epic. Thanks for the memories Ron.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I was a drummer at the time and spent hours & hours practicing the drum solo. Drove everyone within 400 yards mad.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    To quote someone I know re: Bushy's work on In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida- "The most famous drum solo ever and not tedious like those it inspired."

Some may disagree, but not those of us who went to a lot of rock concerts in the '70s. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was one of the first records I ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was one of the first records I ever bought.
    I can tell you exactly: it was the fifth album I ever owned.

Have their been better drum solos prior, NO...perhaps unless Moon the Loon had one that I'm unaware of. To my recollection (...and remember, my patriarch was very much immersed in the music scene back then), that was the spark that ignited a fire under a lot of drummers _____.
    Well done, good sir! RIP
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Geez....when we were kids, we used to play the drum solo on our desks at school. That, and the intro to "We're an American Band"!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Have their been better drum solos prior, NO...perhaps unless Moon the Loon had one that I'm unaware of. To my recollection (...and remember, my patriarch was very much immersed in the music scene back then), that was the spark that ignited a fire under a lot of drummers _____.
    Well done, good sir! RIP
    Well, they were certainly being performed by the likes of Ginger Baker. But, were there any on albums? Good question.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, they were certainly being performed by the likes of Ginger Baker. But, were there any on albums? Good question.
    There were some:

Ginger Baker: Toad (Cream: Wheels of Fire)
    Michael Shrieve :soul sacrifice (santana woodstock)
    Jon Hiseman: The Machine demands a Sacrifice (Colosseum)

I walked a few miles to our local mall as a kid to buy In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida through the snow
    and was so happy I did. I loved this band as a kid. RIP Ron.

Listening to Iron Butterfly from The Galaxy Club 1967 right now. Fairly rough recording, but there are so few out there from the early period.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP Ron. I have Inn a Gadda Da Vida somewhere I should try to dig it out again.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Michael Shrieve :soul sacrifice (santana woodstock)
    Jon Hiseman: The Machine demands a Sacrifice (Colosseum)
    Those are post-"Gadda."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Those are post-"Gadda."
    And Wheels of Fire was released right about the same time. And of course, that's live.

I still can see myself sitting in a chair at my parents, listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, while reading on model railways. The sounds after that drumsolo were really creepy.
    I think Ron Bushy is the only member who has played on all Iron Butterfly albums.

I bought In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida shortly after it came out and solely for the cover. I had no idea what the record or the band sounded like. I wanted something psychedelic. I was not disappointed. (I haven't been so lucky with other LPs bought just because the cover was attractive.) Loved that drum solo; still do.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.