Thread: A Tangerine Dream question

A Tangerine Dream question

Been a loyal TD-fan since forever and also quite the collector of their albums. Now for my question. Was there any live material recorded on film from the 70's? And yeah, I do know the things on Youtube. Was there ever anything released on DVD?

Coventry Cathedral was released but it was only the video of the show. The audio on the DVD is from Ricochet.

The audio eventually appeared as a bonus on (I think) the Stratosfear remaster from a year or two ago.

There's a handful of things, the Coventry Cathedral deal, and I thikn also a thing they did for German TV circa Stratosfear. Oh, and there's a small bit of what looks like home movie footage of them from the 77 US tour, with Laserium, that appears during one of the tracks in the Three Phase video that came out in the early 90's.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Coventry Cathedral was released but it was only the video of the show. The audio on the DVD is from Ricochet.

The audio eventually appeared as a bonus on (I think) the Stratosfear remaster from a year or two ago.
    IMO, watching it was a waste of time, unfortunately. I can't remember exactly why, but it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Been a loyal TD-fan since forever and also quite the collector of their albums. Now for my question. Was there any live material recorded on film from the 70's? And yeah, I do know the things on Youtube. Was there ever anything released on DVD?
    I believe that there is some footage in the archives of I.N.A (French broadcast archives) from PopDeux or one of a number of rock shows from French TV

Not released commercially.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I believe that there is some footage in the archives of I.N.A (French broadcast archives) from PopDeux or one of a number of rock shows from French TV

Not released commercially.
    That is in my opinion the best
    Its a 10 min clip circa 73 that shows them in their top form

Then there are clips from German TV

https://youtu.be/I6fYiB9T-I8

There is a German 2018 documentary about the band (English subs) 'Revolution of sound 'with some concert footage that was released on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

Then there are clips from German TV

I love it all until 81/2 (they became less relevant afterwards, IMHO), but that first era (EM & AC) has something really special for me

TANGERINE DREAM from GERMEN TV, including:
    Bath Tube Session - 1969
    Ossiach Lake - 1971
    Ricochet - 1971
    Ricochet - 1976
    Barock - 1976
    Barock - 1976
    Madchen Auf Der Treppe - 1982
    Jeanne D'arc - 2005
    I didn't know Ricochet already existed that far back (71) - never seen that particular footage before FTM.

They might have included this one in there as well.

don't know why it doesn't show on PE, but I can view it on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qPMPJpRnc
    Last edited by Trane; 08-30-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There's footage of a '78 (Cyclone) show out there, in someone's vault...

Thanks alot! To be honest The Coventry Cathedral DVD was quite a disappointment for not having the original music from the show and the same footage seems to be repeated over and over again. Still it's great to see the classic Froese/Franke/Baumann lineup. We can only hope that some things from the vaults will see the light of day in the future. That PopDeux recording and those other possible French shows would be a dream to be able to watch, as well as the one from the Cyclone tour. I have a feeling that there are plenty of unreleased gems in the TD vaults...

I suspect at this point, anything that was still in Virgin's vault has been cleared out and was already included on their two box sets covering Phaedra -> Hyperborea.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I suspect at this point, anything that was still in Virgin's vault has been cleared out and was already included on their two box sets covering Phaedra -> Hyperborea.
    70s video stuff is outside of Virgin’s holdings, I would guess.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    70s video stuff is outside of Virgin’s holdings, I would guess.
    I would expect so. I have the impression that the contracts for such things typically stipulate that the broadcaster who shot something is typically the rights holder, so that, for instance, if something was shot by WDR (West German TV), then it's owned by WDR. As one example, I remember reading that the Grateful Dead show that was shot in Copenhagen on the Europe 72 tour is actually owned by the Danish TV people who shot it, so any official release would have involve negotiating with them.

I also remember Gene Simmons claiming once that when he were overlooking the contract for the Kiss show at the Budokan in 77 that was shot by NHK, originally there was a line aobut how NHK would own the footage. So Gene apparently added an addendum to the effect that after 12 months, the rights would revert to Kiss. And supposedly, nobody noticed this, the contracts were signing and this was allegedly legally binding. So like a year later, Kiss were allowed to do whatever they wanted with the footage, because of that. See, Ace, that's how you do it!

We can only hope that some things from the vaults will see the light of day in the future. That PopDeux recording
    I might be able to trace that and upload the file if you want

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I might be able to trace that and upload the file if you want
    I would be most delighted and thankful, my friend!!

I would be most delighted and thankful, my friend!!
    Sent to your inbox

Although I can't remember if they were from the 70's, but there are some live-clips from TD shown in the documentary Kraftwerk And The Electric Revolution.

And I guess the most recent Romantic Warrior-DVD's on Krautrock have some footage from TD too.