Thread: Password Reset

Password Reset

It seems that every now and again, this site decides that my registered password is not going to be recognised any more. This is despite my having it written down in a password manager and making multiple attempts at entering it. I accept that this could be user error, and it seems to go a while before it happens, but it now feels like something that has happened to me a few times on this site over the years. Is some sort of expiration set on passwords?

Anyway, that is not my main issue. In order to resolve this I have to request a password reset, which *shouldn't* be too big a deal, but the bloody captcha thing is a complete nightmare! It took me about 5 attempts for me to get the expected string of characters and this was despite me refreshing many times to reject those images I felt I had no chance with.

I know that the captcha is there for a good reason but the ones on this site are ridiculous.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    It seems that every now and again, this site decides that my registered password is not going to be recognised any more. This is despite my having it written down in a password manager and making multiple attempts at entering it. I accept that this could be user error, and it seems to go a while before it happens, but it now feels like something that has happened to me a few times on this site over the years. Is some sort of expiration set on passwords?

Anyway, that is not my main issue. In order to resolve this I have to request a password reset, which *shouldn't* be too big a deal, but the bloody captcha thing is a complete nightmare! It took me about 5 attempts for me to get the expected string of characters and this was despite me refreshing many times to reject those images I felt I had no chance with.

I know that the captcha is there for a good reason but the ones on this site are ridiculous.
    The same has just happened to me. I am no idiot but I had about 15 gos before I got lucky
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    The same has just happened to me. I am no idiot but I had about 15 gos before I got lucky
    I am an idiot, but it's never happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I am an idiot, but it's never happened to me.
    Well ... on second thoughts, maybe I am. I ran CCleaner and it knocked out all my passwords. I can usually read the letters in Image Verification, but the PE one is the most confusing I have encountered.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Speaking of passwords, did anyone receive an email from a scammer or blackmailer using an old password as the subject line? Because I did. The old password was one I used for more than one site, and pretty old fortunately.But since PEs member data was snagged a number of years back, just thought I’d ask.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Speaking of passwords, did anyone receive an email from a scammer or blackmailer using an old password as the subject line? Because I did. The old password was one I used for more than one site, and pretty old fortunately.But since PEs member data was snagged a number of years back, just thought I’d ask.
    Years ago, I received such an email with an obsolete psw.
    One should change them frequently. One never does.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd guess that if you selected a phrase from the e-mail not including the password itself and googled it surrounded by double quotes, you'll find a bunch of people hit up by the same scam. Your old password might have been included in a data breach along with thousands or millions of others.

https://www.informationisbeautiful.n...reaches-hacks/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'd guess that if you selected a phrase from the e-mail not including the password itself and googled it surrounded by double quotes, you'll find a bunch of people hit up by the same scam. Your old password might have been included in a data breach along with thousands or millions of others.

https://www.informationisbeautiful.n...reaches-hacks/
    Good thought of checking that way - this is what I’m assuming is the case.

I've been having a problem lately where if I want to change my password, the site won't let me do it without also changing my email address. It says that email address is a required field even though it says on the password reset page that changing your email address is optional. I only want to change my password, and had entered my username instead of my email address (which it says is accepted). Anyone else seen this?

I was logged in yesterday but today I wasn't though I never did anything to log myself out.......I ended up getting a new password because I couldn't remember the old one.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Every year, the website forces me to change my password. It's kinda weird.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

I guess it's a way to eliminate members who aren't active anymore.

I had to do the yearly password reset recently and it took multiple tries to get a temporary password sent to me to reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ergalthema2
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I had to do the yearly password reset recently and it took multiple tries to get a temporary password sent to me to reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a similar issue. I have not received an email for the password reset after many, many attempts. I made this secondary account just to report it here. Is there an active admin for this site at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema2 View Post
    ... Is there an active admin for this site at all?
    Yes, you can PM Duncan Glenday.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I guess it's a way to eliminate members who aren't active anymore.
    This is such a stupid mandatory thing.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Only site I am on that does this.