Thread: Banco's 1991 "remakes" of their first 2 albums

Banco's 1991 "remakes" of their first 2 albums

My opinion of these albums has varied considerably since they came out. I remember hearing that they were unhappy with the sound quality of the first two albums (if anybody can knows the story of how these came to be, please share it). I thought they were pretty good at the time, but almost never listened to them. Just recently I revisited them, and suddenly like them a lot. What's interesting for me is the fact that they didn't try to duplicate the original albums, the arrangements are quite different. Also, I don't mind the modern synth sounds or the 90's production (which is unusual for me). For me, they make a nice complement to the original albums.

I can tell from the reviews on PA that a lot of people dislike them, and I can understand that. A lot of the keyboards and drums sound pre-programmed or "canned". I expect a lot of negative reactions here, but I'm sure some of you like them, too.

I've got the first one, and I like it quite well actually. I appreciate it for what it is, and have no problem with the instrument sounds or production. You reminded me I should listen to this one again, as I haven't heard it in a few years.

I haven’t heard these in a long time. While I agree the original version of that debut album is really rough production-wise, Darwin sounds just fine to me, and did not need to be remade. Also, why did such a keyboard-heavy band have to remake two of their classic albums right in the middle of one of the most dire eras for keyboard sounds?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

They're OK but absolutely pointless IMHO. I have never felt a need to reach for the remakes when the originals are sitting right next to them. When I first heard about the remakes I was excited. I somehow assumed they had a lot of missing bits that had to be edited out due to the relatively short length of an LP and with the CD length they would be putting stuff back in, or maybe just extending the various pieces. Anyway, as you know, that didn't happen. And as P. Bear notes above the fact that it was 1991 didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    They're OK but absolutely pointless IMHO. I have never felt a need to reach for the remakes when the originals are sitting right next to them.
    This is my view as well. And they weren't the only band to do it either. There were some, though, who did add some extra stuff that was cut for time originally, like Rick Wakeman and Camel. But the Banco ones for me were just a fun curiosity to listen to once or twice. I can't get used to the sound of them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Actually, most of the tracks are longer than the originals. For instance, the track "R.I.P." (one of my favorite "new" versions) from the first album has some things that weren't on the original, more than just an added measure or two.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I can tell from the reviews on PA that a lot of people dislike them, and I can understand that. A lot of the keyboards and drums sound pre-programmed or "canned". I expect a lot of negative reactions here, but I'm sure some of you like them, too.
    The question is not are these the definitive versions of these Branco songs, but are these versions interesting or have merit. I believe they do and for the primary reason you state. They didn’t try to duplicate the originals. The results are hit and miss, but it adds a perspective where an artist revisits and interprets their own work.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I owned them both but ditched them ages ago and have never thought about them again. I was OK with the concept, but to me the execution was awful, especially the drums and guitars. Keys were also pretty bad, but nothing compared to the drums and guitars. I tried to get used to it, but in the end there was literally no reason I'd listen to these in favor of the originals, even with a few re-worked sections. Thumbs down from me, sorry.

Bill

I do, however, prefer the remake of “Metamorfosi” to the original. The extended piano cadenza really makes this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I do, however, prefer the remake of “Metamorfosi” to the original. The extended piano cadenza really makes this one:

Agreed, in fact I think side one of the manticore album is brilliant. You get a better version of Traccia, 'L'Albero del Pane' which is exclusive to this LP and 'Metamorphosis' which is better recorded and played than the version on 'Darwin'. Side two is distinctly inferior though and Sinfields lyrics are awful.
    I've never understood why this album is totally dismissed when only half of it sucks... lol

Although I have to admit that there is no real need to own them as they are in no way better than the original ones, I still like them.
    A bit of a fan boy thing, but keepers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by REFaust View Post
    Agreed, in fact I think side one of the manticore album is brilliant. You get a better version of Traccia, 'L'Albero del Pane' which is exclusive to this LP and 'Metamorphosis' which is better recorded and played than the version on 'Darwin'. Side two is distinctly inferior though and Sinfields lyrics are awful.
    I've never understood why this album is totally dismissed when only half of it sucks... lol
    I agree with you...but Metamorphosis was on the first album and Pete Sinfield had nothing to do with the lyrics. Marva Jan Marro did the lyric translations. Marva also wrote the lyrics for PFM's Chocolate Kings.

I split the difference on these; I have kept the 90s version of BMS, I didn't keep the 90s version of Darwin. But I haven't listened to the 90s version of BMS in quite some time...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I agree with you...but Metamorphosis was on the first album and Pete Sinfield had nothing to do with the lyrics. Marva Jan Marro did the lyric translations. Marva also wrote the lyrics for PFM's Chocolate Kings.
    Also: the original version of “Metamorfosi” was on the debut LP, not Darwin.

Marva Jan Marrow is probably best known in Italy for her English version of Lucio Battisti’s “Il nostro caro angelo”:

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

But even the English language "Banco" (featured in this video) is different from the original Italian language version, "Banco del mutuo Socorso."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Yes, that Manticore label U.S. release had some good stuff on it; I'll disagree about side two being inferior. In fact, I like "Outside" ("R.I.P" on the original LP) better than the original despite the English lyrics, just because of the added synths in the instrumental section. All in all, "Banco" was never going to sell in the U.S.; their music and vocals were too weird for American audiences. PFM did a bit better because they sounded more like the British prog bands.

Those English-language Manticore releases from Banco and PFM are what introduced me to both bands. I found them in the used bin at the local record store in Boulder around 1980. I was lucky to later find a few of the Italian releases at the same store, including Canto di Primavera, their last release from that classic '70s period, albeit with a very different feel compared to their first few albums. I later bought some of their other Italian-language albums from a mail-order place in California. I wonder now how I even managed to find about these mail-order places without the internet! So, I remain attached to the "shoe" album and have it on CD, along with pretty much everything else they ever did.

Gave B.M.S. and Darwin! 1991 another spin last night. I put my finger on why they sound so cheesy. In addition to the electronic drums, the guitar and bass totally fake. No doubt played on the same workstation as the keyboard parts. For that matter, the drums may well have been played on the same workstation rather than an actual e-drum kit.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama