Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You Overplayed A Song/Album So It No Longer Resonates

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I read an article once about people who worked at Starbucks when they released Paul McCartney's CD Memory Almost Full and had it playing in the stores all day. Even if it was a good McCartney album (I haven't heard it) that must have been tough.
    A similar thing happened at another job I had where I worked in a music department of a store. The new Rolling Stones album at the time was Voodoo Lounge and they played that one over and over soon after it was released. I don't remember them doing that for other albums though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think all of Buffet's first five or six records have a lot of great material on them. Its just the "Songs You Know by Heart" songs have worn really thin. I still like Come Monday and Pirate Looks @ 40. But I'll die perfectly happy if I never again hear Cheeseburger or Fins or Margaritaville, or for that matter Why Don't We Get...
    Check out his most recent album Life On The Flip Side. Imo, it's his best album since Volcano. maybe even SoaSoaS.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There's a frame shop near here, and they have a display of a shadowbox of the Fab Four containing moving figures of them playing along, and every time I've ever been in the store over the years it's been playing I Wanna Hold Your Hand on a loop. I wouldn't be able to take it.

I feel so bad for people who have to work in such an environment. Being subjected to any song on endless repeat like that is torture!

I had a roommate that grew obsessed with THIS song. I had to beg him to stop playing it!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^It's too bad he wasn't playing it on a guitar otherwise you could do what John Belushi did in Animal House. :P
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I feel so bad for people who have to work in such an environment. Being subjected to any song on endless repeat like that is torture!

I had a roommate that grew obsessed with THIS song. I had to beg him to stop playing it!

Good Ghod. That's like ABBA if they had no talent whatsoever...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Good Ghod. That's like ABBA if they had no talent whatsoever...
    Read my mind.

^^^ I'm really happy I never heard that song before. And it is so banal I'm sure I'll forget it by tomorrow!

I almost forgot about this. It reminds me of my "born in the USA" story from earlier only worse(then again this one is fiction).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One summer during college I had a random suite-mate, and he listened to one side of "The Last Waltz" every damned morning. There are worse things he could have listened to, but I still came to hate it.

When I was in 6th and 7th grade, I played the hell out of KISS Destroyer and Alive I.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    When I was in 6th and 7th grade, I played the hell out of KISS Destroyer and Alive I.
    My condolences, j/k. I saw Kiss in grade 8 too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My condolences, j/k. I saw Kiss in grade 8 too!
    Listening later in life, those 2 albums sounded like something a junior high schooler would like.

The original Tubular Bells.

These days I much prefer Ommadawn, and still play it regularly.

And it's a shame that Oldfield spent so many years recycling, remixing and re recording TB, though I confess I did like TB2.

I do have the follow up to Ommadawn, but have never really revisited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I had a job once where I had to stand in the same place for my entire shift( I was a greeter/ undercover security)and I remember the manager or whoever setting up a boombox with Bruce Springsteen's "born in the USA"(the song not the whole album) on repeat. They must have played it at least 20 times in a row although I don't remember the actual total number of times. I started to understand how pow's and other captives felt when music torture was used on them.
    From January to April 1997 I had a roommate who played Blackstreet's "No Diggity" several times each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    From January to April 1997 I had a roommate who played Blackstreet's "No Diggity" several times each day.
    Fundamentally, music is just not meant to be used in that way.

One of the reasons I stopped listening to radio years ago is the popular stations would just play the same playlist over and over...and songs that you may have loved eventually become unlistenable through overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I once knew a guy who listened to Metallica's Black Album every day. Even more than a decade after it came out. When he came to my house and I was playing something other than that, he asked why I wasn't listening to Metallica instead.

My wife had a roommate in college who put Helen Reddy's single "Angie Baby" on her rekkid player rigged somehow so that it would get to the end and repeat...and repeat...and repeat. I suspect that song still gives my wife the heebies and possibly also jeebies.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I knew a kid back when I was in high school (mid-70s) who just kept playing the first record of The Beatles 1962-1966 (Red) album over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    The thread title says "YOU overplayed a song", so I'm assuming it's something that I have done, not radio, etc.; I have never overplayed any song or album. I always know when to give something a rest. But radio, TV (both shows and commercials), movies, record stores, bars (especially karaoke) and friends (especially girlfriends) have subjected me to a lot of stuff way too much...
    Same here. If I'm sick of a song, it's not because I overplayed it; it's because I was subjected to it over and over on the radio.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Back when I worked at the Good Guys Service Center (R.I.P.), one of the other techs used ONE song to test speakers with. Namely, this song. If ever anything was worse than the Steps example above...

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Same here. If I'm sick of a song, it's not because I overplayed it; it's because I was subjected to it over and over on the radio.
    Radio overplay is what killed Hootie and the Blowfish. Darius and Co. watched their career flush down the toilet in real time, but they were powerless to make it stop.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Radio overplay is what killed Hootie and the Blowfish. Darius and Co. watched their career flush down the toilet in real time, but they were powerless to make it stop.
    And drove Darius into Country music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The absolutely worst for me was during a bike /youth hostel tour in the Netherlands in 78 from memory. One feature of the Dutch youth hostels back then was to wake you up with some radio hits and at this time it was Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing ,which was playing also everywhere else and which I liked maybe the first 50 times and then I got really sick of hearing it.