Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Overplayed A Song/Album So It No Longer Resonates

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

You Overplayed A Song/Album So It No Longer Resonates

I'm guessing you've played a song too many times. For me, my favourite band is easily Genesis. I have overplayed Supper's Ready So many times it's lost its shine.

Do you have examples about overplayed songs?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I sometimes try not to overplay certain songs or albums, but in fact I don't know that anything has truly become overplayed for me. I definitely take long breaks from things sometimes. I still love hearing the song "Hotel California" and all of the first Boston album though, so I guess I can handle a lot of plays.

BTW, if you're having a problem with a specific song or album, can be your friend.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I sometimes try not to overplay certain songs or albums, but in fact I don't know that anything has truly become overplayed for me. I definitely take long breaks from things sometimes. I still love hearing the song "Hotel California" and all of the first Boston album though, so I guess I can handle a lot of plays.

BTW, if you're having a problem with a specific song or album, can be your friend.

Pretty much anything by Led Zeppelin. I had their tapes when I was 12-16 or so and played them a lot plus 80 percent of their songs were played to death on the radio. I would probably play the Doors, Santana, Traffic, Chicago, Black Sabbath, The Moody Blues or even Yes more these days.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

I overplayed Aqualung when it was released.
    I was a lifeguard at a lake in Fresno, while going to grad school. Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good was on the radio constantly. I hate that song to this day.

One summer I bought Steely Dan's The Royal Scam and listened to the song "Green Earrings" a lot, then wrote an arrangement of it for my group at the time that wasn't very successful, and burned myself out on that song in the process.

I got Jesus Christ Superstar the summer after it came out. (I would have been around 14.) I played it every day for months. Learned every song by heart. Then one day I could no longer listen to it, and that lasted for years.

I did the same thing once with tuna fish sandwiches. Ate them for lunch every damn day in sixth grade until the smell of tuna suddenly made me sick. Fortunately I got over that much faster.
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

Dark Side of the Moon is the first thing that comes to mind. Between personal listens and its omnipresence on radio, it doesn't have the same impact as when I first heard it.

The same with most of Yes' classic output.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I overplayed Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, so much so that I doubt I will ever get round to playing it a second time.

"Tom Sawyer," by Rush, for sure. It just seems stale to me now, and I still love the rest of Moving Pictures.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I overplayed Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, so much so that I doubt I will ever get round to playing it a second time.
    [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

For me Bohemian Rhapsody for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    For me Bohemian Rhapsody for sure.
    So you've overplayed, does that also mean that you no longer enjoyed it as in the past? This applies to all the posts, some have confirmed.

It's hard to believe for me that a song that was so emotionally profound and moving, Supper's Ready, no longer has that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    So you've overplayed, does that also mean that you no longer enjoyed it as in the past? This applies to all the posts, some have confirmed.

It's hard to believe for me that a song that was so emotionally profound and moving, Supper's Ready, no longer has that effect.
    I interpreted the purpose of the thread to be for music that once resonated that no longer does because you've heard it so often.

So, Bohemian Rhapsody definitely qualifies, IMO. I was blown away the first time I heard it, then spent years analyzing it, and now I change the station when it comes on.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As far as overplay that's my own damn fault, King Crimson. I bought the mind-blowing Great Deceiver and Epitaph box sets in the 1990s, played the hell out of those, and then joined the Collector's Club. Bought the first 40 of the KCCC CDs and played each of them probably several dozen times. Finally I just couldn't hear anything in the music anymore. This was around 2010. I thought I could take a break and the joy would come back. It hasn't...

The only music I can still enjoy from the band is the double duo era. TCOL and PTB didn't get overplayed. And there weren't many live shows from that era in the KCCC.

Supertramp. Good music for sure. I worked in record stores and all their albums were in high rotation on the sound system there. Hearing a side every two or three hours every shift for months on end, album after album, did them in for me. Whenever I hear them now, I'm tuned out within five seconds, wish it weren't so.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I interpreted the purpose of the thread to be for music that once resonated that no longer does because you've heard it so often.

So, Bohemian Rhapsody definitely qualifies, IMO. I was blown away the first time I heard it, then spent years analyzing it, and now I change the station when it comes on.
    You interpreted it correctly. If it no longer resonates, you don't get the same musical enjoyment - emotional reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I got Jesus Christ Superstar the summer after it came out. (I would have been around 14.) I played it every day for months. Learned every song by heart. Then one day I could no longer listen to it, and that lasted for years.

I did the same thing once with tuna fish sandwiches. Ate them for lunch every damn day in sixth grade until the smell of tuna suddenly made me sick. Fortunately I got over that much faster.
    I worked with a guy who ate a tuna sandwich for lunch every day for years and years. He had a weird, grey pallor, I think from the Mercury.

Dark Side of the Moon is the first thing that comes to mind. Between personal listens and its omnipresence on radio, it doesn't have the same impact as when I first heard it.

The same with most of Yes' classic output.
    I will say DSOTM has suffered slightly, but again, headphones and can help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    Supertramp. Good music for sure. I worked in record stores and all their albums were in high rotation on the sound system there. Hearing a side every two or three hours every shift for months on end, album after album, did them in for me. Whenever I hear them now, I'm tuned out within five seconds, wish it weren't so.
    Your tale of being subjected to overplay at work made me think of an interaction I had at a resort in Hilton Head a few years ago.

I'm sitting at the pool bar and Margaritaville comes on like it did pretty much every hour. Right then the bartender asks how I'm doing and I said something like I love sitting here at your bar but I really wish you guys didn't play Margaritaville so damn often. How do you think I feel? he said, You're only here for a week...

Triumph Surveillance and Jerry Goodman Ariel. In the mid to late 80s when they came out, they really clicked with me. I bought the former specifically because Steve Morse contributed to 2 songs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I never much cared for Bohemian Rhapsody, except when I heard it sung by a Dalek at a comic-con a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I worked with a guy who ate a tuna sandwich for lunch every day for years and years. He had a weird, grey pallor, I think from the Mercury.
    Did that come from tainted tuna, or overplaying "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

That doesn't happen to me anymore. It used, back in the 80's and 90's, when I'd listen to certain records way too frequently, and also listened to the radio still. Now, I don't listen to the radio, and I delibeartely weeks, months, even years in between listening to albums.

I think I'm burnt out on Beatles but not Stones or Who. I'm also bored with Rush.