Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Great Musicians in Cheesy Bands

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    How about Nick Beggs in Kajagoogoo and Pat Mastelotto in Mr. Mister? Members of cheesy '80s bands who have gone on to do great things in prog.
    Not sure that I'd call Mr. Mister "cheesy".

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    How about Nick Beggs in Kajagoogoo and Pat Mastelotto in Mr. Mister? Members of cheesy '80s bands who have gone on to do great things in prog.
    Mr. Mister is anything but "cheesy."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Mr. Mister is anything but "cheesy."
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Jefferson Starship was a great band. Starship was, shall we say, its parody.
    Mickey Thomas and company have a new album coming out on Purple Pyramid...."Greatest Hits Relaunched"

Looks like the current band re-recorded a bunch of their hits, and also included their take on Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" and a couple other rock classics. What a strange release.

1. We Built This City
    2. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
    3. Sara
    4. Jane
    5. Find Your Way Back
    6. Laying It on the Line
    7. No Way Out
    8. It's Not Over ('Til It's Over)
    9. Stranger
    10. It's Not Enough
    11. Rock Music
    12. Winds of Change
    13. Wild Again
    14. Fooled Around and Fell in Love
    15. Don't Stop Believin'
    16. Carry on My Wayward Son

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mickey Thomas and company have a new album coming out on Purple Pyramid...."Greatest Hits Relaunched"

Looks like the current band re-recorded a bunch of their hits, and also included their take on Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" and a couple other rock classics. What a strange release.

1. We Built This City
    3. Sara
    4. Jane
    5. Find Your Way Back
    6. Laying It on the Line
    7. No Way Out
    9. Stranger
    10. It's Not Enough
    11. Rock Music
    12. Winds of Change
    13. Wild Again
    14. Fooled Around and Fell in Love
    15. Don't Stop Believin'
    16. Carry on My Wayward Son
    Why is it a strange release? Lots of bands have been doing that sort of thing in recent years. The weird thing here is that he gets away with calling the band Starship when he's the only quasi-original band member there. Last I checked, no one else from Jefferson Starship is in his current group.

Pete Sage, formerly in Wally, now in Santiano.
    I'm not sure they are cheesy. I have to say I have all their studio-albums and 2 live ones.

I think Peter Hesslein, from Lucifers Friend earned his money with James Last (talking about cheesy).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The weird thing here is that he gets away with calling the band Starship when he's the only quasi-original band member there. Last I checked, no one else from Jefferson Starship is in his current group.
    I guess in this particular divorce settlement "Starship" equals the 80's Mickey-fronted band while anything with "Jefferson" in it connotes the 60's or 70's lineups.

Thank you for making that distinction. I maintain you're really talking about two different bands, even though Starship, at least initially, consisted entirely of people who had been in Jefferson Starship. I've never erally heard Nuclear Furniture, the last Jefferson Starship album (well, at the time it was), but I maintain that the previous album, Winds Of Change, is a good sort of 80's rock album. Yeah, it's leaning in the MOR direction, but there's a bunch of good songs on there, and Chaquico's guitar playing saves even the ballads (which don't necessarily need saving, we're certainly not talking Sara level mediocrity here, but ya know, a guitar solo or two never hurts).
    I agree, with Dropforge that Jefferson Starship and Starship are two different bands even though they shared much of the same people. After Kantner left it was just a whole different approach.

Why is it a strange release? Lots of bands have been doing that sort of thing in recent years.
    Indeed. Yesterday I listened to the Nashville Sessions rekkid by Chicago, a collection of remakes off albums from CTA up through Hot Streets (bleaurgh). The first track is "25 or 6 to 5" in which the current guitarist copies Terry Kath's solos note for note. I guess it proves that he is a highly skilled guitarist, but it also implies a lack of imagination -- which is exactly what the rest of the album confirms.

Sad. Fake mews-ick.
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I agree, with Dropforge that Jefferson Starship and Starship are two different bands even though they shared much of the same people. After Kantner left it was just a whole different approach.
    I remember a Don Baldwin interview (Modern Drummer, I think) where he was surprisingly open about dissing Kantner, saying that when they released Nuclear Furniture he made a copy for himself with Kantner's songs removed.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember a Don Baldwin interview (Modern Drummer, I think) where he was surprisingly open about dissing Kantner, saying that when they released Nuclear Furniture he made a copy for himself with Kantner's songs removed.
    Interesting, I like Kantner's stuff on that album. I also saw the tour and thought they were great, but apparently the band was falling apart.

Everyone associated with Asia would seem the logical choice. Far too talented for the output.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Indeed. Yesterday I listened to the Nashville Sessions rekkid by Chicago, a collection of remakes off albums from CTA up through Hot Streets (bleaurgh). The first track is "25 or 6 to 5" in which the current guitarist copies Terry Kath's solos note for note. I guess it proves that he is a highly skilled guitarist, but it also implies a lack of imagination -- which is exactly what the rest of the album confirms.

Sad. Fake mews-ick.
    Well, I dont' think the idea was to redefine the old songs, so much as to put forth something where they own the copyright, and/or get a decent share of royalties.

One man's cheese is another man's gold.

Musicians have to make a living.

I agree with previous post, not sure the point of this.....

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think Peter Hesslein, from Lucifers Friend earned his money with James Last (talking about cheesy).
    I mentioned this up-thread. It’s basically Last’s orchestra guesting on Banquet, and Karl-Hermann Ler—who played the reeds and violin on Mind Exploding—was from Last’s orchestra.

EDIT: I guess I failed to mention it here. I must have been thinking of the “R.I.P. John Lawton” thread, where skeletons were dragged out of the closet (someone else already mentioned Les Humphries Singers in a previous post).

On that note: Armando Gama, keyboardist and singer of the Portuguese prog band Tantra, several years after he quit that band:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    One man's cheese is another man's gold.

Musicians have to make a living.

I agree with previous post, not sure the point of this.....

YMMV
    Same here. People only call Asia cheesy or bad or whatever because of who was in the band. I rarely hear anyone(even prog fans) talk so disparagingly about Journey, Boston, Foreigner or Styx. Ok, maybe Styx.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I always liked Kantner's explanation of why he left the band, because "It was already getting to..." and he then mockingly sings the chorus of We Built This City, flips the bird and says "Fuck you, no you didn't".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

1. We Built This City
    3. Sara
    4. Jane
    5. Find Your Way Back
    6. Laying It on the Line
    7. No Way Out
    9. Stranger
    10. It's Not Enough
    11. Rock Music
    12. Winds of Change