Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerry Livgren's Cantata Is Done!

Now that I received the CD I wrote a little review on FB that I will share here. Don't go into this hoping for anything as immediate and catchy as a Kansas tune. It's not there....

"Speaking of Kerry Livgren, I mentioned recently that his life's work is finally finished and available to order from his website. I received my copy a few days ago and sat back and took it all in. His "cantata". It's quite an epic journey, to say the least. This is a symphonic album in the truset sense of the word. Not a rock band trying to sound symph. There's really an orchestra on here, and nary any guitar solos. Save for one great one from Phil Keaggy. This album was in the making since the late 70s. I suspect any attempts to record any of it back then were shelved, as everything here seems to have been recorded in the last twenty or so years. Correct me if I'm wrong. Kerry's nephew Jake Livgren sang all the guide tracks originally and one by one they were given to guest singers. Ambrosia's David Pack is Jesus and John Elefante is Lazarus. The two biggest roles. Warren Ham, Steve Walsh, Robby Steinhart, Phil Ehart are some other names you will recognize for sure. Though they are more like bit parts compared to David and John. I think Jake's performance as Caiaphas is one of the most compelling. This is a wordy album, as you can imagine, retelling a segment of the greatest story ever told. And then some... If you have ever been moved by Kerry's writing or playing, take a minute to order a copy to say "thank you". This might just move you as well.... https://www.numavox.com/cd.htm

My copy arrived today and I gave it a full spin. It is slow going for the first half. I guess cantatas are like that. Don't expect a lot of hooks or riffs. But it gradually builds to a very satisfying crescendo in Movement 4 and M5 is a nice resolution. Is it a keeper? I dunno, for now. But I'm sure I'll spin it some more and will find out.