Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Transatlantic tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I believe a story was told right here on PE by someone in the know (Man In The Mountain I think?) about one of the earlier tours when the other three guys were majorly pissed at Neal for not bothering to learn his parts for a Yes cover they were performing that night. Or something along those lines.
    Yes, that was me. I have it all on film. Neal was pretty upset at the backlash and he pretty much vented it into his own video camera - basically griping that he doesn't "need" to do this band. I have about 10 hours or so of his private video (and more semi-pro live - basically all of the Berlin show) from the BAF tour, which I released 2 hours of on the limited edition "Live Bootleg DVD from 2008." You could really see in the backstage footage that Roine had a hard time fitting in with these guys.

Speaking of Roine not fitting in. I'll never forget going to see The Flower Kings way back in the day, like 2001 or something. I arrived early and bumped into Roine outside the venue and introduced myself - that I was working with Neal bla bla bla, and Roine just went on this long rant about how difficult it was working with the New Yorker Guy & The LA Guy, and how bossy they are. I found it odd he was venting this to me, but then it also came across as cultural. When I worked with Roine later on with a few things, he really just had a habit of telling it like it is, and saying what's on his mind. It was always very honest, rather than just sour puss. I really cherish the few times I worked with Roine, his honesty and his very high demand for delivering quality to the fans was admirable. Inside secret, I bet most people don't know that Roine redid his entire guitar track on the Live in America DVD. If you compare it to the original VHS, it's completely different. I worked with Roine on that upgrade. Why me? I have no idea, but THOSE were the days!

I need to write a book.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 07-28-2022 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

I need to write a book.
    If you wrote a book I would buy it. I know you have some good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I'm in for a copy!

Wow, thanks guys!

FYI, I just did an interview for Outsider-Rock, and I talk a bit about my artwork and experiences. Pretty restrained from going on and on about things, but everyone seems to enjoy it.

https://outsiderrock.ca/2022/06/28/s...dwAjPoidIMxfoY

Just a thought: if Mike Portnoy decided to return to Dream Theater, what would happen to Mike Mangini? Mangini is an incredible drummer who should have a band of his own but that possibility is highly unlikely.

Something similar has happened with bands like Saga, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest when their former singers returned. In Maiden besides Dickinson when Adrian Smith returned, the band was so pleased with Janik Gers that they kept both and ended up with three lead guitarists.

Wow, thanks guys!

FYI, I just did an interview for Outsider-Rock, and I talk a bit about my artwork and experiences. Pretty restrained from going on and on about things, but everyone seems to enjoy it.

Cool! I'll check it out.

Edit - I didn't wait, lol. Excellent interview - well done. Nice bit of background on your career and how it came about. Definitely write that book!
    Last edited by Mstove; 07-29-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I'm in for a copy!
    Send me the link and I'll pre-order.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow, thanks guys!

Really enjoyable interview, that. I would also sign up for a book.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

The eons are closing
    ooh ooh Me Book too please me!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

From all reports from the band and the fans at the show - the Paris show was really something special. Going to be a great video release next year!!

Mike Portnoy: Wow…what a night!!! Paris, you absolutely elevated us to another level! The emotions in the air all evening were incredible and we couldn’t have asked for a better night to capture for our live release. It was one of those nights where the stars were completely aligned on every level…✨🌟💫
    Thank you to everybody that came out to these shows…we felt the love and are sad to see it end! Thank you to Thomas Waber at Inside Out for his unconditional support and giving us a home for 23 years. And all of my love to Neal, Pete & Roine (and Ted & Daniel as well) for sharing some of the most special music I’ve ever been a part of…it’s been quite the journey and if last night turns out to be the band’s final show, I will cherish it forever 💜🚀

Roine Stolt: Paris - at the legendary OLYMPIA - Tonight was really magic - Some shows just materialize as if conducted by angels - I could feel my mother was there in spirit - and it touched me profoundly (she was a great fan and supporter of prog rock ) - Sometimes you play these shows and you wait for the 'trainwreck moment' - but it never arrives - Tonight the band and audience was in 101% harmony - and the good news is that the show was filmed and recorded multitrack . - THANK YOU PARIS!"!! - This legendary venue where artists like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Ray Charles, Miles Davis and many more icons played.....You, the audience, were golden - Thank you filmteam ! - this gig will go down in TA history. - on CD - LP- Video/Bluray next year. (from SONY/Inside Out )

Neal Morse: Oh what a time it was! The last Transatlantic show in Paris was among the very best concerts of my life. I’m so glad it was filmed and recorded! A very special thank you to the audience! You guys were incredible!
    And I fully agree with Mike, if this is our last show ever..what a way to go! Thanks to Mike, Roine, Pete, Ted, Rich, Jerald, Cory, Steph, Andy, Kelly, and Steve Page…and to all the fans for making our dreams come true!
    And thanks to everyone who shared their photos!

Pete Trewavas: It was such a special night last night. The last show of the tour and who knows maybe the last show forever. We’ve had a good run that’s for sure.
    The European leg has been really great and to end it in such an iconic venue will be a very special memory for us all.
    Thank you Paris you as always special. 😎

Cool to read, thanks !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Yeah the London show was amazing! Nearly didn't go because of the train strikes but decided I wasn't going to miss this. There where fans that had travelled from as far afield as South America & Asia.

Sons Of Apollo is heading back out on tour (although without Sheehan, who can't travel because of... reasons) and I know he wants to keep Winery Dogs afloat if he can.
    Scientology is a helluva drug!

Neal announced yesterday that he is going on indefinite hiatus, deliberately not scheduling anything going forward and with no plans for the foreseeable future. He went on to say that there were 'difficulties' within the band (Transatlantic) in the last week leading up to the final couple of shows, but did not elaborate since apparently it did not involve him directly. This according to one of his 'Inner Circle' newsletter subscribers who just received the August issue.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Neal Morse On Hiatus

Neal announced yesterday that he is going on indefinite hiatus, deliberately not scheduling anything going forward and with no plans for the foreseeable future. He went on to say that there were 'difficulties' within the band (Transatlantic) in the last week leading up to the final couple of shows, but did not elaborate since apparently it did not involve him directly. This according to one of his 'Inner Circle' newsletter subscribers who just received the August issue.
    This is big news in the Prog world. It deserves it's own thread.

I received the newsletter and I don't know that I'd read that much into this hiatus. He does say the TA shows were the last shows he will be doing "for some time" and that he doesn't have any recording sessions scheduled. Basically he described it as waiting for the Lord to tell him what to do next. So I'd read this as Neal waiting for inspiration and not sure what the next big project will be. I hope for a Spock's reunion album and tour - or a totally new supergroup type configuration. Take a break from NMB, FC and TA.

But as prolific as Neal usually is, two years between new releases would be considered a long hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I received the newsletter and I don't know that I'd read that much into this hiatus. He does say the TA shows were the last shows he will be doing "for some time" and that he doesn't have any recording sessions scheduled. Basically he described it as waiting for the Lord to tell him what to do next. So I'd read this as Neal waiting for inspiration and not sure what the next big project will be. I hope for a Spock's reunion album and tour - or a totally new supergroup type configuration. Take a break from NMB, FC and TA.

But as prolific as Neal usually is, two years between new releases would be considered a long hiatus.
    I don't get his newsletter or anything, but "indefinite" is just that....it's not a specific length of time and maybe Neal wants to do a mental "tabula rasa", re-energize, and do something completely new. He's been at this pretty steadily for quite a number of years so it wouldn't be at all weird for him to be experiencing some burn out or mid-life musical crisis. Who knows, maybe the next time we see him he'll be sporting Satanic neck tattoos and will switch exclusively to playing rhinestone-studded keytars that trigger only DX7 sounds.

Edit: typo
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 08-04-2022 at 03:22 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Who know, maybe the next time we see him he'll be sporting Satanic neck tattoos and will switch exclusively to playing rhinestone-studded keytars that trigger only DX7 sounds.
    If there are dollars to be made, I'm sure he would entertain the business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    So I'd read this as Neal waiting for inspiration and not sure what the next big project will be. I hope for a Spock's reunion album and tour - or a totally new supergroup type configuration.
    How about him & Portnoy team up with Lee & Lifeson?

I kinda hope that he works up a follow up to the Troika release with Nick D'Virgilio and Ross Jennings. I have been enjoying it off and on since it's release, but popped it in for repeated listenings on a recent road trip and really fell in love with it. So many earworms to go along with those harmonies. I have no idea if that was a one-off project or what, but I would love a 2nd album from them.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    This is big news in the Prog world. It deserves it's own thread.
    In the Prog world? This should be on the CNN Home Page!

Neal was working on a new project based on a book called the God's Smuggler - it wasn't clear what format this would be (prog, acoustic, singer songwriter?)

I'd also be down for another D'Virgilio, Morse & Jennings (Troika) album. But since they wear their CSN influence proudly they need to have a "and Young" album! so who in the prog world would fit as this groups ...and Young?