Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy 4-disc Wilson remix

Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy 4-disc Wilson remix

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/blac...e-october-1st/

It's been five years since our big thread on this album here. It could certainly stand to be remixed, so I'm curious to hear it. The live disc, too. Anyone going to shell out for it?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Am I missing something or did they not state where the live tracks are from?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I am on the fence.

Wilson’s Vol. 4 is not great, and I’m generally a fan of his mixes (I know that that is not a universal position). But I think the problems with Vol. 4 (as I hear them—again, these things are subjective) aren’t fixable.

So I’d be in for the live shows, but Sabbath live often feels lacking.

I picked up the Sabotage box just this week. I figured a double disc live show warranted the purchase. But I’m again dismayed at how poorly the band’s sound is captured live. Geezer needs as much presence as Iommi, and that doesn’t seem to be the case with the live recordings I’ve heard (excepting here the rather excellent live shows included with the Mob Rules recent re-release).

I’ll pick this up, I’m sure, but $120 seems steep for what’s included.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Way way too much money for what's on offer, which seems to be the modus operandi for all these Sabbath boxes. At least on this one Wilson has had the opportunity to remix just about the whole album and not just a handful of outtakes (!?), but it's still pretty small potatoes in exchange for a serious chunk of change. Plus, what is the provenance of the live set....?

Jeez, I missed the price. That's nuts.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jeez, I missed the price. That's nuts.
    Sharon's wardrobe isn't going to pay for itself.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It’s listed at $60 on Amazon ($100 for vinyl). If a Wayside or Laser’s Edge lists it at the same price, I’ll probably pick it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Technical-Ecs...s%2C169&sr=1-1
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

At 14 I thought myself the biggest Sabbath fan in the whole world. But then I abandoned the notion of "coolness" about the whole deal.

Yet still today, the second half of "Dirty Women" (after the purported jazz-rock part) remains one of the most heavy-handed and sincere parts of rock'n'roll I ever heard.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is this album so well regarded that it merits the full-Wislon and a 4-disk box? Not up on Sabbath, just curious.

Yes and no.

Its considered a major drop in quality from its immediate predecessor, a band with too much cocaine and time on its hands and unsure of which direction to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is this album so well regarded that it merits the full-Wislon and a 4-disk box? Not up on Sabbath, just curious.
    For many years, no. It seems to have more lovers than detractors nowadays though. I've always liked (most of) it myself.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember that I borrowed the LP (and Never Say Die) from a friend at least 30 years ago and remember thinking they were pretty dull compared to the albums I'd heard previously, which at the time was BS, Vol.4 and We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll. I'' have to check it out on Youtube and see if I still feel that way.

^^ I always felt Tech Ecs sounded like them starting to not care anymore, and Never Say Die little more than fulfilling their contract. And of course soon after, Ozzy got the boot.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

TE is pretty patchy but I adore NSD. Lots to enjoy as Sabbath cast their net wider than you would expect.

I like TE. I'd say All Moving Parts Stand Still is my favorite track. I like the thick, funky groove. Brilliant. It is a product of its time and I really dig it....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like TE. I'd say All Moving Parts Stand Still is my favorite track. I like the thick, funky groove. Brilliant. It is a product of its time and I really dig it....
    Easily the best song on the album. It's an immediate standout.

Sabbath stopped after Sabotage for me, although "You Won't Change Me" is freakin great.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

On TE and Never Say Die Black Sabbath sound like a band that has lost its way, but I like these records exactly for that reason. They are very eclectic and have many interesting parts, heavy ones, jazzy ones, melodic ones.
    It may not be Sabbath's finest hour, but it was the continuation of the "progressive" spirit of the band that was present on albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. At least they were not on the "obligatory doomy riff" mode that was prevalent on later releases like The Devil You Know or 13 (although I like those albums, especially 13).

Agree completely with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    On TE and Never Say Die Black Sabbath sound like a band that has lost its way, but I like these records exactly for that reason. They are very eclectic and have many interesting parts, heavy ones, jazzy ones, melodic ones.
    It may not be Sabbath's finest hour, but it was the continuation of the "progressive" spirit of the band that was present on albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. At least they were not on the "obligatory doomy riff" mode that was prevalent on later releases like The Devil You Know or 13 (although I like those albums, especially 13).
    I agree completely as well. I love Never Say Die! and reach for it more often than Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage. The standout track for me on NSD is Swinging The Chain. And I love, love, love Air Dance and Breakout.

I know not everyone feels this way, but I don't think Sabbath has a bad album. Yes, that includes Forbidden.

Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are killer records. Gotta love "Air Dance" with that great piano/synth by Don Airey!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And I love, love, love Air Dance and Breakout.
    I like the way you think! I'm playing "Breakout" right now!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I know not everyone feels this way, but I don't think Sabbath has a bad album. Yes, that includes Forbidden.

Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! are killer records. Gotta love "Air Dance" with that great piano/synth by Don Airey!

Thank you. I like playing embedded YT videos on PE. No commercials. Great song. It was 1978, heavy got experimental, but the New Wave of British Metal was right up the street and Sabbath was awesome in 80s. I like some of those Tony Martin albums too.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I like the way you think! I'm playing "Breakout" right now!
    I'm gonna play it right now too, then Swingin' the Chain.