Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Dream Theater - A View From the Top of the World - Due 10/22/21

  1. #1
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    894

    Dream Theater - A View From the Top of the World - Due 10/22/21

    I can't believe there isn't a thread for this yet. Dream Theater has a new album coming out in October, A View From the Top of the World. After whatever The Astonishing was supposed to be, I was pleasantly impressed with Distance Over Time and thought it was their best since Octavarium, so I have a lot of hope for this one.

    Tracklist:

    1. "The Alien" 9:32
    2. "Answering the Call" 7:35
    3. "Invisible Monster" 6:31
    4. "Sleeping Giant" 10:05
    5. "Transcending Time" 6:25
    6. "Awaken the Master" 9:47
    7. "A View from the Top of the World" 20:24

    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  2. #2
    Dream Theater are also going on Tour later this year (with Arch Echo opening for them) in support of their upcoming LP.

    https://dreamtheater.net/

  3. #3
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I can't believe there isn't a thread for this yet. Dream Theater has a new album coming out in October, A View From the Top of the World. After whatever The Astonishing was supposed to be, I was pleasantly impressed with Distance Over Time and thought it was their best since Octavarium, so I have a lot of hope for this one.

    Tracklist:

    1. "The Alien" 9:32
    2. "Answering the Call" 7:35
    3. "Invisible Monster" 6:31
    4. "Sleeping Giant" 10:05
    5. "Transcending Time" 6:25
    6. "Awaken the Master" 9:47
    7. "A View from the Top of the World" 20:24
    Well my first thought when I saw the You Tube embed, was GREAT!! a trailer of the songs on the album, only to be disappointed by a YT guy talking about it. It's not even an official Dream Theater Official Video.
    Ya got me bro! lol

    Here's hoping they have some samples out soon, and yes a REAL trailer for the album songs.
    Thanks for posting this tho. I recently received a notification by email from a local venue about the AVFTTOTW Tour, but didn't know it was in support of a new album.
    They've been putting out these Archive things recently, and thought it was just more of that.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 08-03-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  4. #4
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Well my first thought when I saw the You Tube embed, was GREAT!! a trailer of the songs on the album, only to be disappointed by a YT guy talking about it. It's not even an official Dream Theater Official Video.
    Ya got me bro! lol

    Here's hoping they have some samples out soon, and yes a REAL trailer for the album songs.
    Yep, apologies, it was the first YT video I found after a cursory search, and the thread opener seemed kind of anemic without a YT link.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,918
    Looking forward to it, should be good.

    Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,774
    I believe that Giorgio Tsoukalos adds guest narration.

    All (semi) kidding aside - I liked half (40 min!) of ADToE, very little of the s/t, didnt purchase astonishing, and thought D/t was better than self titled but weaker that ADToE.

    So perhaps a few tracks will get into rotation @casamudshark

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  7. #7
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yep, apologies, it was the first YT video I found after a cursory search, and the thread opener seemed kind of anemic without a YT link.
    no apology needed, but thanks, it's all in good fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I believe that Giorgio Tsoukalos adds guest narration.

    All (semi) kidding aside - I liked half (40 min!) of ADToE, very little of the s/t, didnt purchase astonishing, and thought D/t was better than self titled but weaker that ADToE.

    So perhaps a few tracks will get into rotation @casamudshark

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I've been off the DT for some time and haven't bought any new albums for quite awhile.
    I did get DT Distant Memories Live in London Blu Ray and really enjoyed it. And it's nice to have an updated version of Scenes to go along with the original concert.
    I was a bit surprised in the Live in London at Jame's appearance at first, is/did he have health issues? hoping he's ok.
    And I may be in the minority but I appreciate and like him singing in a lower key on much of the material.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  8. #8
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    1,655
    Those shoes....those shoes....
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,918
    As teaser's go, they could have gone for a better segment of music maybe..


  10. #10
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As teaser's go, they could have gone for a better segment of music maybe..

    I like it..and the fade out sounds like it would be just before James starts singing. Also like the images in the videos, gotta love Aliens.
    Thanks for posting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  11. #11
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As teaser's go, they could have gone for a better segment of music maybe..

    Sounds similar to the recent LT3 album, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Very promising!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  12. #12
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,942
    They need to release remixes of the albums where the bass was pushed to the back.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day痴 toil.

  13. #13
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They need to release remixes of the albums where the bass was pushed to the back.
    Yup the bass tracks will now appear on a separate disc

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  14. #14
    DT are one of my all time favorite bands, and John Myung being at times barely audible is almost insufferable. It's almost as if someone should remind whoever's at the mixing desk that he went to Berklee (School/College of Music) like John P. and Mike P.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I like it..and the fade out sounds like it would be just before James starts singing.
    Sadly, no. In space, no one can hear you scream.

  16. #16
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    894
    And here's the full song.



    Not sure what to think of the effects on LaBrie's voice.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  17. #17
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    And here's the full song.

    Not sure what to think of the effects on LaBrie's voice.
    I like the effects on his voice, and he's not screaming to get to high notes, cause this song throughout is now in his vocal range, and I like that.
    I noticed him singing fewer high notes in the Memories Live in London concert and enjoyed his vocals much more for that show.
    I think the song overall is too long, and I don't think they broke any new ground here.

    I did like the instrumental break and guitar at 5:30, but thought that went on too long as well.
    Trim off about 3 or 4 minutes, and I think it would be the perfect length.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  18. #18
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,942
    When Labrie’s voice kicks in it sounds exactly like every other DT song.
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day痴 toil.

  19. #19
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When Labrie’s voice kicks in it sounds exactly like every other DT song.
    I thought that about much of the instrumental as well, but hey it's still Dream Theater and if there are enough new things, they're still an attraction to me.
    Other than the Live in London DVD, On the Backs of Angels was my last buy.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Molise
    Posts
    638
    Dream Theater痴 'The Alien' Is A Fast Paced Prog-Metal Fantasy




    Today we finally get to hear the first taste of Dream Theater壮 forthcoming album A View From The Top of The World which is set for release on October 22 with 禅he Alien. It kicks off sounding like an instrumental assault on the senses before frontman James LaBrie壮 distinctive vocals kick in, amidst the mind-fuck of a musical arrangement put on disply by his gellow bandmates.


    We just love to play our instruments, observes guitarist John Petrucci. "That never goes away. I love to be creative, write, and exercise that part of my mind. We致e been able to do this for a long time, and we don稚 take it for granted. Whenever we get together, we know we can稚 disappoint ourselves or our fans, so we manage to try even harder."

    In terms of how they keep continuing to blow minds, LaBrie adds:

    "We approach every album like it痴 our first It痴 been such a great ride, but we池e not going to stop.

    Seriously, if you love prog, you池e gonnna lose your mind over this nine and a half minute journey through space and time!

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Dream Theater痴 'The Alien' Is A Fast Paced Prog-Metal Fantasy
    Today we finally get to hear the first taste of Dream Theater壮 forthcoming album A View From The Top of The World which is set for release on October 22 with 禅he Alien. It kicks off sounding like an instrumental assault on the senses before frontman James LaBrie壮 distinctive vocals kick in, amidst the mind-fuck of a musical arrangement put on disply by his gellow bandmates.[/I]

    We just love to play our instruments, observes guitarist John Petrucci. "That never goes away. I love to be creative, write, and exercise that part of my mind. We致e been able to do this for a long time, and we don稚 take it for granted. Whenever we get together, we know we can稚 disappoint ourselves or our fans, so we manage to try even harder."

    In terms of how they keep continuing to blow minds, LaBrie adds:

    "We approach every album like it痴 our first It痴 been such a great ride, but we池e not going to stop.

    Seriously, if you love prog, you池e gonnna lose your mind over this nine and a half minute journey through space and time!

    Well, I love prog, so I look forward to losing my mind over this. The cliche phrases used in this "review" were written so quickly and with such gusto and enthusiasm, seems checking to see if words were typed correctly went out the window. ("put on disply by his gellow") That is just how much the reviewer's mind was blown.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,918
    Wow, Alien is pretty damn good, sounds like something from DOT at first, maybe Pale Blue Dot but it's really enjoyable even on a first listen, well done DT.

    Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Checked out DT's latest, 'The Alien', and I like it. Looking forward to the new album in October.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Well, I love prog, so I look forward to losing my mind over this. The cliche phrases used in this "review" were written so quickly and with such gusto and enthusiasm, seems checking to see if words were typed correctly went out the window. ("put on disply by his gellow") That is just how much the reviewer's mind was blown.

    I'm looking forward to the new Mike Portnoy/Neal Morse Beatles tribute album, "Gellow Fatter Mustard"...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

  25. #25
    Just played "The Alien". I like it, but I'm not exactly blown away by it. Can we at least get one DT song were the bass player is audible from start to finish? Once Pertrucci does his riff assaults the Myung goes into a sonic blackhole. I still think the best sounding DT album was Falling Into Infinity. Perfect instrument separation and EVERYBODY was audible especially Myung. His bass tone was lovely. I'm sorry I just don't like Pertrucci in the producer's chair. It's like he has a thing against bass players.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •