Thread: Q: SUPPER'S READY on Genesis Revisted 2

Q: SUPPER'S READY on Genesis Revisted 2

I need your help for the exact order of the singers on Genesis Revisited 2 "Supper's Ready"?

This is what I have below, perhaps you could fill in the question marks and what sections Francis Dunnery and Conrad Keely sing. Also, does Simon Collins sing more than just Guaranteed Eternal later in the song?

I: Lover’s Leap:
    MICHAEL ÅKERFELDT : “Walking across the sitting room…..

II: The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man:
    SIMON COLLINS : “I know a farmer…”

III: Ikhnation and Itsacon and their Band of Merry Men
    ? “Wearing feelings on our faces while our faces took a rest”

IV: How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
    ? “Wandering in the chaos the battle has left”

V. Willow Farm
    STEVE HACKETT : “If you go down to Willow Farm”

VI. Apocalypse in 9/8
    ? “With the guards of Magog swarming around”

VII: As Sure as Eggs is Eggs
    ? (SIMON COLLINS again?) : “Can’t You Feel Our Souls Ignite”

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Those mini reviews are hilarious. Picky! I disagree with most of them but then again I'm biased so...

Anyway, Simon sings GESM and Apocalypse. Francis sings "As Sure As Eggs". Originally Simon was asked to sing "Moonlit Knight" but I managed to get Francis on that one and we got Supper's Ready to sink our teeth into. I actually have versions of the different sections completely sung by both those guys as we were experimenting around. They both sound great. I love their voices and they're both good friends of mine who all love Genesis and Steve so it was a thrill and an honor to be part of it.

Here's Steve Hackett and Roger King talking about it in an international video interview they did for SR and IK:

Have you ever heard the Genesis cover that Simon and I did back in 2007 of Keep It Dark? There's a short nod to Hackett/Old Genesis in the beginning. See if you recognize the riff!

Steve Hackett played a wicked guitar solo on Simon's album U-Catastrophe and we were just 'returning the favor' by playing on Supper's Ready. Ehem... which we GLADLY did! Haha.

That said, I think that's the extent to which Simon will be paying tribute to his dad and Genesis. He's more focused on original music and we have a new prog-infused band album coming out soon. There is an 18+ minute track at the end that has hints of old school Genesis in there though. But no covers. (I on the other hand will continue a mix of originals and covers since Squids just want to have fun... and some time next year Francis and I are releasing the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway)

I'm guessing Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm guessing Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats.

neil
    You are correct. It happened by accident really. We were just doing a spacey droney beginning and when Simon asked Kelly the guitarist to do something "atmospheric" and he didn't know what to do I just hummed that riff and said "just do this". Haha. I always thought it could have been even longer after we did it. Maybe live we'll stretch it out. I think we'll also do half of Supper's Ready live too. We've talked about it. We'll see what happens but now there's more of a reason to do it. We were going to do it anyway just because we love it.

Cool cover of Keep It Dark, the 'kid' has good pipes.

i still find the majority of the singers on the album are embarrassingly unnatural (with the exception of Steven Wilson which is odd for me) and this release doesn't do it for me from that stand-point alone...nor do any of the slight to nothing substantial "re-workings" of the tunes...i'd rather just listen to Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i still find the majority of the singers on the album are embarrassingly unnatural (with the exception of Steven Wilson which is odd for me) and this release doesn't do it for me from that stand-point alone...nor do any of the slight to nothing substantial "re-workings" of the tunes...i'd rather just listen to Genesis.
    yeah, there was something off about these guys.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    yeah, there was something off about these guys.
    There are some good vocals on the CD (like Simon Collins). But, I have to agree with you there is unfortunately some weak vocals on the CD. The worst is on Ripples. Nepotism is never pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    There are some good vocals on the CD (like Simon Collins). But, I have to agree with you there is unfortunately some weak vocals on the CD. The worst is on Ripples. Nepotism is never pretty.
    Nepotism?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nepotism?
    The singer is Steve's sister-in-law.

Ahh..wasn't aware of that.

Her work on Ripples is growing on me.

I think part of it is that I'm enjoying the new production and musical performances so much that unless the vocals are severe, I'm really liking this.

My only real complaint is with the drumming. It's competent, but it's not Collins.

Yes they needed Simon Phillips on this one!

My only real complaint is with the drumming. It's competent, but it's not Collins.[/QUOTE]
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    The singer is Steve's sister-in-law.
    I believe she has a fine voice. I would expect a guy that has his flute playing brother on his records to feature his sister-in-law(he also had his ex-wife painting his album covers). I agree with the cd notes when they state that she sounds like Marianne Faithful.