Thread: FEATURED CD : Panzerpappa : Passer Gullfisk

FEATURED CD : Panzerpappa : Passer Gullfisk

Credit for this featured CD : wideopenears

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

wideopenears's comments:

I have Pestrottedans and Astromalist, later releases, so I had some idea what to expect, but .....Passer Gullfisk is apparently their first release, and is a CDR with a hand-printed booklet and label. released in 2000, this is the work of a quartet-:

Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Melodica, Glockenspiel – Jørgen Skjulstad
    Drums, Percussion, Balafon, Glockenspiel,– Trond Gjellum
    Electric Guitar – Knut Tore Abrahamsen
    Saxophone, Synthesizer, Electric Piano – Steinar Børve

These guys create a through-composed, knotty, instrumental music which owes something to the Canterbury styles of National Health, Gilgamesh, and Hatfield and the North, though without the "English whimsy" and humor. (and no vocals). I also detect elements in common with other Nordic bands like Anglagard, in melodic and harmonic content, and also a certain quasi-classical/RIO influence, though this music is not as "dark" or "Symphonic" as Anglagard, nor as goofy as Samlas Mammas Manna. The mallet percussion plays a large role in their rhythmic grooves, and the melodies are often carried on what sound like woodwinds--saxophone, but also other wind instruments which could be synths, perhaps. There are five tracks, and there's quite a bit of variety--from driving, bass-driven grooves to more contemplative, spare pieces with melodic saxophone and mallet rhythm and little else. There are moments of beauty here, and a sense of playfulness, though not in the overt sense you'd find in Samlas or some of the British or French RIO/Avant/Canterbury bands that influenced them, to my ears.

I'd say this is a full-realized debut, and the hand-drawn goofy cover doesn't really capture the music within, which is pretty advanced and not cartoonish at all. Lovely stuff.
    Regards,

Duncan

^ Excellent review. Maybe ProgArchives is hiring?

This is the one of their albums I don't have. If I could track it down at a reasonable price, I'd buy it. I have all their other stuff. I enjoy it all, but don't ask me which album I prefer. They all sort of blur together, not in a bad way, but they don't have one album that particularly sticks in my mind as "their best," or whatever.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This is the one of their albums I don't have. If I could track it down at a reasonable price, I'd buy it. I have all their other stuff. I enjoy it all, but don't ask me which album I prefer. They all sort of blur together, not in a bad way, but they don't have one album that particularly sticks in my mind as "their best," or whatever.

Bill
    This applies to me almost exactly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    yup, missing this one and farlig from the early ones but klagesang is my fave
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Minor correction to what I said above. I just realized this was only a CDR release, so I probably wouldn't pay for that. It's Farlig, which I have on CDR that I'm looking for a legit CD.

They should do a repress of Farlig and include this album as a bonus CD! Hey, I can dream, right?

Bill

I think it's fantastic. It represents their exact underground sound at that point here in Oslo, and serves as an illustration as to how "radical rock" actually attained a level of leverage with a limited audience who'd otherwise never know a shit about the endurance of it.

Back then (2000-2001) there were some very few acts merging with adventurous rock and contemporary jazz stylistics here in Norway (Cloroform and Wibutee, most notably), but most weren't taken seriously due to cultural clashes in media perception. And the same goes for the first two Jaga Jazzist albums; met with voices of recension who simply didn't know about this sort of approach from before, their works passed as if there'd never been anything even mildly like it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've spun it several more times since I wrote that, and the Canterbury influence appears to have receded in my brain, somewhat. And yeah, I can hear a bit of early Jaga similarity, I guess. Really love this band. Thanks again, Duncan, for all the work!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."