Thread: Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Ding Dong You're Dead.

Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Ding Dong You're Dead.

The first two tracks of this body-shaking album make no tardy apology for their assault upon the senses. These convulsing tunes puff and huff with spitting aggression. They are hot-blooded and surge with action. In their muscular approach, there is no requirement for airy-subtlety nor elegant melody to get in the way.

https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2021/090
    Last edited by prestonplatform; 07-23-2021 at 01:10 AM.

Please note it is "you're dead" for proper grammar's sake!

Thanks ....it was a mistake

I have Ekhidna but nothing else from Mollestad. I need to fix that. Thanks for posting the review and sharing your enthusiasm.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I have Ekhidna but nothing else from Mollestad. I need to fix that. Thanks for posting the review and sharing your enthusiasm.
    Same here. Just discovered her last year.

Start with All of Them Witches for her studio work, then get to see her in concert. She's one of the meatiest guitar-rock/fusion experiences around today, at least from here in Europe. She never disappoints in performance, and her crew is stupendous as well - always.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Please note it is "you're dead" for proper grammar's sake!
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Thanks ....it was a mistake
    Fixed
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Fixed
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated
    DAMN! Every time I see your screen name, I get an earworm
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Start with All of Them Witches for her studio work, then get to see her in concert. She's one of the meatiest guitar-rock/fusion experiences around today, at least from here in Europe. She never disappoints in performance, and her crew is stupendous as well - always.
    Next time she and her band are in America …
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hedvig in a symphonic prog setting: https://whitewillow.bandcamp.com/track/a-scarred-view (especially the extended outro instrumental)
    Hedvig on a Steely Dan cover: https://donner.bandcamp.com/track/ni...eely-dan-cover

Excellent guitar player, killer rhythm section.
    Enfant Terrible ( Laughing John, Arigato, Bitch ) , All Them Witches, , Smells Funny. all kick serious ass.
    You can't go wrong.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Superb stuff, this is probably my album of the year, I'd start with All Them Witches. The streaming concert they did during last year was superb.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I bought Ding Dong and Witches based on this thread.

I like them both but my preference seems to go to Ding Dong. It just seems to cover a bit wider scope.

Here's a parallel sound from another band: TMT Xplosiv.

It's maybe more rock-oriented, less improvisational, more tightly plotted, and sometimes includes vocals. Monika R. isn't quite the badass on guitar that Hedwig M. is, and some have trouble with her small, breathy, accented, girl-next-door-in-Hamburg singing voice, but she, Tom J. (keys), and Tilman H. (drums) are still plenty capable. The sound seems a bit retro, but that might be down to the instrumentation: guitar+vocals, Hammond+Minimoog, and gigantic Pearl Vistalite concert-tom drum set. I suppose you could say that it splits the difference between the Tony Williams Lifetime and Atomic Rooster - with Billie Eilish on vocals.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Try this burning live set:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Here's a parallel sound from another band: TMT Xplosiv.

It's maybe more rock-oriented, less improvisational, more tightly plotted, and sometimes includes vocals. Monika R. isn't quite the badass on guitar that Hedwig M. is, and some have trouble with her small, breathy, accented, girl-next-door-in-Hamburg singing voice, but she and the band are still plenty capable. The sound seems a bit retro, but that might be down to the instrumentation: guitar+vocals, Hammond+Minimoog, and gigantic Vistalite concert-tom drum set.
    Oh thats great! I know Monika Roscher from her big band, Those records are among my most played of recent years. Love that stuff. I was not aware of this project.

More. Starts off 'jazzy' and then.....
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I've always that Ellen Brekken was Hedvig's secret weapon. She's a hell of a bass player and also a great upright player. And man, Hedvig has the Terje Rypdal sound sound down perfectly. If I had never heard of her and heard this on the radio I would think it was Terje playing.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Next time she and her band are in America …
    Have they ever played in the U.S. before? They would be a great get for a U.S. prog festival.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Black Stabat Mater is my favorite by them, by a comfortable margin, but all records (besides the debut) get played at least now and then over here.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.