Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Henry Cow : The Road Volumes 1 - 10 (40th Anniversary Box Set)

FEATURED CD : Henry Cow : The Road Volumes 1 - 10 (40th Anniversary Box Set)

Credit for this featured CD : NogbadTheBad

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

NogbadTheBad's comments:

This boxset is a collection of live records from one of the original Rock In Opposition bands. Their studio output was limited to 5 studio albums and while excellent doe not tell the story of the band as a live animal. There had previously only been one official live album, the excellent Concerts, this box now covers the full history of the band, from earliest pre-Leg End Canterbury stylings in 68 until their dissolution in 78.

It is not a boxset for a novice looking to discover the band. There is way too much experimental improvisation, atonality and dissonance. But for someone who loves this type of music who has been somewhat frustrated by the limited material previously available its an absolute goldmine and a must have for all fanatics.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My particular favorites in the box are

Vevey Concert DVD '76
    Stockholm & Goteborg '77
    Hamburg '75
    Trondheim '76
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've been listening to the studio albums (minus Desperate Straights) plus Concerts over the past few days. I need to revisit a few of these.

I've not heard that, but have some of their studio and the live double lp, which I like. I'm sure there's plenty there to discover.

I ended up being the recipient of this box (which is still in transit so I can't comment on its contents), but one thing I'd like to add ...

I DO already own the Vevey concert on DVD and it absolutely RULES. A few nights ago, my friend loaned me a digital projector and I projected it on a bed sheet (since my screen has not arrived either !). It felt like I was sitting in the grass enjoying a Henry Cow concert, because Dagmar was about 5 ft tall on my wall and I could see all the interaction between members. Subtle cues and such between the players. The improv stuff is simply heavenly - this band had a way of communicating *feel * through some of the densest sonic palettes imaginable. Can't wait to hear more !!
    Ian B, formerly Zombywoof

It's in Charleston WV, nearly there!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's in Charleston WV, nearly there!
    YAY !

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    I DO already own the Vevey concert on DVD and it absolutely RULES.
    and amazingly enough, Georgie's first concert with the band! Talk about trial by fire.

I saw them twice 11 months later.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm considering getting the studio box to go along with the live material. Does The Road Vol 1-10 contain Concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    I'm considering getting the studio box to go along with the live material. Does The Road Vol 1-10 contain Concerts?
    No. The Road is all otherwise unreleased (at that time) live and studio material. Concerts isn't part of it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Although a space IS provided in the “Volume 1-5” box for “Concerts” to be slotted in (at least in the initial issue of the box - I’ve not seen the reissue packaging), which was thoughtful and nifty.

I’m so grateful for the existence of these discs and the accompanying documentation. It’s all essential and wonderful stuff.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A landmark box for anyone interested in this type of music. Wonderful all around, but my favorite is probably the Trondheim discs.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post

I’m so grateful for the existence of these discs and the accompanying documentation. It’s all essential and wonderful stuff.
    Well, that certainly does make me feel better for purchasing the studio box, thank you ! I haven't listened to them in years but I found myself so captivated by Vevey I feel a binge coming. And it looks like Concerts is still readily available, so I'll look to purchasing it separately when I can. Thanks !

Yeah, fantastic boxset. Love the DVD, as well as the Trondheim and Hamburg shows.

I have listened this a LOT lately. Amazing box set!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There's something that amuses me about a Henry Cow box being sold by Walmart...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Henry-Cow...-DVD/505743037

2 left for $88.15

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

2 left for $88.15
    well...

Sam Walton and Chris Cutler certainly share some of the same values and political beliefs...right??? (SMIRK)

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

2 left for $88.15
    I always knew those Walmart folks in their sweatpants and American flag shirts loved the cow! I'm talking about actual 80% lean ground beef.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I always knew those Walmart folks in their sweatpants and American flag shirts loved the cow! I'm talking about actual 80% lean ground beef.

For any interested, I reviewed the Cow Box when it was released back in 2009. Chris Cutler was kind enough to advance me the music with enough time to absorb it all in time to get it written up and published by street date.

Here's the review. Still love this set!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Cracking review
    Ian

The only thing I dislike about anything in the boxsets is how they constantly keep breaking up longer pieces (even some of the free improvs) into separate blocks/branches for the sake of skipping individual parts when these belong to the same composition or performance. Not a wise advice.

"Erk Gah" is one single piece, for instance. Then why is it sectioned? Makes little sense.

other than this, the entire boxset is the best of its kind that I know, and that's not only because I'm a fan. They were arguably the most "formally" intriguing rock band ever, and deserved the treatment.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The only thing I dislike about anything in the boxsets is how they constantly keep breaking up longer pieces (even some of the free improvs) into separate blocks/branches for the sake of skipping individual parts when these belong to the same composition or performance. Not a wise advice.

"Erk Gah" is one single piece, for instance. Then why is it sectioned? Makes little sense..
    To make maximum money from digital sales so that a 30 minute improv or 25 minute 'Erk Gah' doesn't sell for £.99 ?

Guessing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    To make maximum money from digital sales so that a 30 minute improv or 25 minute 'Erk Gah' doesn't sell for £.99 ?

Guessing.
    In the early days of selling digital downloads, a lot of sellers were offering albums that could be bought cheaper by purchasing the individual tracks instead of the full album, until they wised up.

Now it's common to see only the tracks under 7 or 8 minutes for sale individually, and the rest available only with the full album purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    maximum money
    I suppose. They didn't get many hits, though.

Should have gone for "War" or "Bad Alchemy".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM