Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Henry Cow : The Road Volumes 1 - 10 (40th Anniversary Box Set)

IMG_3466.jpg

looks great on the shelf! Now to get the studio box and finish the band name Will be enjoying this for years to come, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    IMG_3466.jpg

looks great on the shelf! Now to get the studio box and finish the band name Will be enjoying this for years, I'm guessing.
    Very nice. And an impressive collection of Zappa discs next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very nice. And an impressive collection of Zappa discs next to it.
    thanks ! my Zappa binges are the stuff of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    To make maximum money from digital sales so that a 30 minute improv or 25 minute 'Erk Gah' doesn't sell for £.99 ?

Guessing.
    ReR have split long tracks into sections long before they offered digital downloads. They have done this back to the very first CD they released, which was before digital downloads was a thing. They were reluctant to offer digital downloads in the first place, they do it only because of 'popular demand'. So your guess is wrong.

Why do they do it then? Long pieces can actually have sections. Erk gah has several sections, if you read the lyrics. So the splitting makes the sections more obvious.

The practice of splitting up long tracks is annoying if you rip your CD to MP3 files and play them back on a digital player that doesn't support gapless playback. If not it doesn't matter.

"Erk Gah" or "Hold to the Zero Burn, Imagine" is very much a separate, singular work and should serve as such. It should be heard as a totality and unity and interpreted as one chart - IMHO. You don't want to skip directly into choruses or repeated verses with music pieces, although there are moments when you'd wish for further developments to not proceed.

But the whole logic seems somewhat bizarre to me. Albeit the practically necessitated sectioned reading of a novel, you'd ideally want to know the contents save for limitations of temporal perception in taking it in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    Will be enjoying this for years to come, I'm guessing.
    The Cow Box really is a set that you buy for a lifetime. I listened to it a lot when it came out but I admit my box was getting dusty of late. Thanks to this thread I pulled it out and gave several of the discs their first spin in a few years. If anything it is better than I remember. Particularly Vols. 8 and 9. Absolutely sublime RIO. Not "difficult listening" at all, yet shoots pleasure through my brain very effectively.

Regarding the indexing issue, one amusing thing is that Erk Gah is indexed completely differently across the different volumes. This just to add to the confusion...

^Really, really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    The practice of splitting up long tracks is annoying if you rip your CD to MP3 files and play them back on a digital player that doesn't support gapless playback. If not it doesn't matter.
    I sometimes split long digital tracks myself. With LP you have the option of putting the needle down in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    ^Really, really cool!
    Definitely! He does this too - wish he did more. I always assumed Frith wrote this intro....but it was Hodgkinson. Beautiful stuff. I love that octave section plus the use of the lydian mode (of course).

This thread inspired me to listen to my copy of Legend again. Or is it Leg End?

Either way, it has been too long since I listened to this. I need to get some more HCow. Maybe the box set...

Just listening Volume 6 (Stockholm & Göteborg) again. I think this is the best individual Henry Cow live-cd ever.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

To make maximum money from digital sales so that a 30 minute improv or 25 minute 'Erk Gah' doesn't sell for £.99 ?

Guessing.
    Highly unlikely - Chris was having me put indexes and sub-indexes on CDs decades ago, long before there was such a thing as "digital sales". I'd say it's because for one thing he really gets into and enjoys that kind of organization of a recording, and does it for anyone who likes to listen the way he does, whether such people exist or not

I've seen him sit here at my place listening to a recording of an improv on his headphones for two days, filling notebook pages with possible track mark or sub-index timings....

x
    BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Highly unlikely - Chris was having me put indexes and sub-indexes on CDs decades ago, long before there was such a thing as "digital sales". I'd say it's because for one thing he really gets into and enjoys that kind of organization of a recording, and does it for anyone who likes to listen the way he does, whether such people exist or not

I've seen him sit here at my place listening to a recording of an improv on his headphones for two days, filling notebook pages with possible track mark or sub-index timings....

x
    BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Interesting. Chris sounds like a rather devoted guy. Thanks for sharing, man.

Coincidentally, I was listening to 5uu's Crisis in Clay when I opened this thread. On "Hunter-Gatherer" currently, and I'd forgotten how much this rocks. Great stuff, Mr. Drake.

Highly unlikely - Chris was having me put indexes and sub-indexes on CDs decades ago, long before there was such a thing as "digital sales".
    I remember the ReR CD of The Faust Tapes I had in the 90's that was one track with sub-indexes. Only problem was that the only CD player I've ever had that could read those is the first one my parents bought in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This thread inspired me to listen to my copy of Legend again. Or is it Leg End?

Either way, it has been too long since I listened to this. I need to get some more HCow. Maybe the box set...
    Do you have Unrest, In Praise, and Western Culture?

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember the ReR CD of The Faust Tapes I had in the 90's that was one track with sub-indexes. Only problem was that the only CD player I've ever had that could read those is the first one my parents bought in 1986.
    haha, indeed Chris is forever lamenting the demise of CD subindexes! They were perfect for his wish to indicate sections of a recording.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

haha, indeed Chris is forever lamenting the demise of CD subindexes! They were perfect for his wish to indicate sections of a recording.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Was he against just separating the long piece into different tracks (like 1 through 5) for example? I don't think my Rotel CD player does indexes either?

Disc 1 is a fascinating listen, all pre history. It reveals a much heavier Soft Machine / Robert Wyatt influence than even Legend. Love the early versions of Teenbeat and Amygdala. Though, the undisputed highlight for me is that unreleased Fred Frith song cycle that takes up the latter half of the disc. Great melodic content !!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't think my Rotel CD player does indexes either?
    Indexing was part of the original Red Book standard of CD manufacture (and still is) but no one / very few make machines anymore that have indexing as part of their features.

I think my first CD player was the only one that had indexing....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Indexing was part of the original Red Book standard of CD manufacture (and still is) but no one / very few make machines anymore that have indexing as part of their features.

That's right, it's still possible to include sub-indexes but players stopped including the ability to read them long ago.

BD

Was he against just separating the long piece into different tracks (like 1 through 5) for example? I don't think my Rotel CD player does indexes either?
    I think we've done that on some more recent masters, using track markers in lieu of sub-indexes. I do a lot of mixing and mastering for the Italian "Angelica" label, which are often live recordings of a single, long performance. For those, the producer tells me where he'd like track markers, so the final CD which plays with no pauses or breaks may have 5 or 6, or 99 markers, which can be used or ignored as desired by the listener.

xx

The other CDs I've heard from the 90's that still used subindexes were those reissues Phil Schaap did for Sony and Verve (the complete Miles Davis/Gil Evans box being one example - he indexed some of the songs to indicate every spot where the producer edited between takes).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I
    I have a 1984 ADC that lacked that feature. You could program the order of tracks, if you so desired, but nothing about indexing.
    It still works great, and work-at-home has caused it to be used more, since it's long since been relegated to the room that I use as an office, along with my 70s Marantz and some ~30ish year old Sony speakers. I doubt that Henry Cow would be work-conducive, so the box set remains in the family room.

Do you have Unrest, In Praise, and Western Culture?
    Negatory. Kept meaning to get them, but then I thought maybe getting the box set would be better -- never pulled the trigger either way.