Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Will CD have retro like vinyls or is it a dead media?

  1. #26
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,338
    Download cards at merch tables would be pretty lame. Lol. I don't get the cassette thing either. I remember about ten years ago or so a band I saw was selling cassette tapes for ten dollars. I don't think they sold any but I'm not sure. Cassette tapes are even more rare these days(at least as far as buying them new or used)than cds.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

  2. #27
    For as long as I have my CD collection I do not care if it's considered dead media or not. Why should I care? I'm long past the "desperately looking for social approval" stage. When you listen to some weird stuff you get used to be your own judge anyway.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

  3. #28
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Well, I don't know. I don't have a crystal ball. But I remember, for example, that at the beginning of the Internet, it was said that books would die out and that we would read our favourite novels on the net. As we all know, books still exist.
    I do think there is a different argument to be made for books. While you gain the portability of a library, you usually only read one book at a time, single books are already portable, it need ps no electricity/battery to read, and long term tablet reading can really strain the eyes. But your point is a valid one. And who knows what the future will bring.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is a Spotify NWW list? And are you saying a Spotify playlist can include local files on your PC? EDIT: Oh, NWW is Nurse With Wound I guess.

    EDIT AGAIN: Now I see in Spotify settings you can sync local files. Interesting…
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6J...f3255019ce4976

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yes. We keep getting stories about how vinyl (not vinyls) is outselling CDs, but they always mention revenue--because quite a few people are willing to pay $35 for a vinyl copy of an LP that they could get for $15 or less on CD. CDs continue to outsell vinyl.

    The really strange thing to me is seeing listings where the new CD costs less than the digital download.
    I don't even see car's with disc players so where do ppl play those 17M CDs?

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    For as long as I have my CD collection I do not care if it's considered dead media or not. Why should I care? I'm long past the "desperately looking for social approval" stage. When you listen to some weird stuff you get used to be your own judge anyway.
    As long as you are listening to them, then there is no problem.
    However if you need to liquidate the collection for financial reasons, or think about the headache this collection will bring to those you will leave behind, then it becomes a concern... especially when you are talking about thousands...

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    As long as you are listening to them, then there is no problem.
    However if you need to liquidate the collection for financial reasons, or think about the headache this collection will bring to those you will leave behind, then it becomes a concern... especially when you are talking about thousands...
    It's pure headache!
    And i think about my kids, they will throw away 50 boxes full of plastics one day as they won't care less about this collection.
    Just did a playlist for Polish jazz from the 60s&70s and another one for Brit-Jazz and i can listen anywhere, that's just making music serving me instead me being the music servant ;-)

  8. #33
    Member yesman1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    I don't even see car's with disc players so where do ppl play those 17M CDs?
    I recently rented a 2020 VW Teguan SUV that had a CD player in the glove box.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I would hate to think that up and coming or some of the established but not well known bands that we all love to see live don't have to resort to selling download cards at their merch tables.
    I never understood how some indy bands have cassette only stuff available at shows.
    I'm been to shows where bands were selling T-shirts, stickers, keychains, tote bags and other assorted swag at the merch table but had absolutely no music for sale at all (not even download cards).

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    It's pure headache!
    And i think about my kids, they will throw away 50 boxes full of plastics one day as they won't care less about this collection.
    Just did a playlist for Polish jazz from the 60s&70s and another one for Brit-Jazz and i can listen anywhere, that's just making music serving me instead me being the music servant ;-)
    That's why I don't have kids

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    That's why I don't have kids
    I don't know the definitive answer if it's good or bad, i guess like anything in life it depends on many aspects and life circumstances.
    I can tell you that when my kids hear something i recommend them and they like it, it makes a different vibe in me that i never got elsewhere talking about music.
    During the last few years i insisted to teach them how to listen to the bass lines, they kept asking at the beginning: "why do you concentrate on bass mostly?", i told them that for me that's the essence, the math, the philosophy in music rhythms.
    Today when we hear stuff in the car or anywhere they tell me: "wow, listen to this bass!", it's fantastic to me. For me to hear the bass is to understand the music better, it all starts there but it's something people tend not to hear and i helped my kids to look for that. :-)

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    I don't know the definitive answer if it's good or bad, i guess like anything in life it depends on many aspects and life circumstances.
    I can tell you that when my kids hear something i recommend them and they like it, it makes a different vibe in me that i never got elsewhere talking about music.
    During the last few years i insisted to teach them how to listen to the bass lines, they kept asking at the beginning: "why do you concentrate on bass mostly?", i told them that for me that's the essence, the math, the philosophy in music rhythms.
    Today when we hear stuff in the car or anywhere they tell me: "wow, listen to this bass!", it's fantastic to me. For me to hear the bass is to understand the music better, it all starts there but it's something people tend not to hear and i helped my kids to look for that. :-)
    Yes, I remember in MIO records "give me more BASS!!"
    I was obviously joking about having kids, of course that is not the reason but like you said - it is complicated- if there is anything that might appeal to a grinch like me in having kids is the fact that I will get to educate them musically...
    Though with my luck they will probably listen to Dua Lipa* or something :P

    * I had to ask around here what do the kids listen to these days... sheesh I am getting old

  13. #38
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    I don't even see car's with disc players so where do ppl play those 17M CDs?
    The past 1 1/2 years, they were played on laptops & home stereo's......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    It's pure headache!
    And i think about my kids, they will throw away 50 boxes full of plastics one day as they won't care less about this collection.
    I will donate my CD collection to PE as has Chris Buckley. I'll remember to direct some cash to PE in my will as well for postage and packing costs.

  15. #40
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I will donate my CD collection to PE as has Chris Buckley. I'll remember to direct some cash to PE in my will as well for postage and packing costs.
    Great...someday I'll realize my dream of 50 copies of Close To The Edge!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  16. #41
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    18.9 million Units of CDs sold in the 1st 6 months in the US
    Many of which were re-releases of older albums, minus the pops and clicks and/or tape hiss.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    A Swedish Prog-Elk
    Posts
    194
    I still buy CD's and will continue doing it. I buy Vinyl as well and tend not to download. I like physical product!

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    I don't even see car's with disc players so where do ppl play those 17M CDs?
    I have cd players in both my cars. I listen to cds constantly

  19. #44
    I hope l am not the only person to mention that there is no such word as 'vinyls'. The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
    You can have two albums, but you cannot have two vinyls. That is not how the universe is constructed, please don't perpetuate that.

  20. #45
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,688
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    As long as you are listening to them, then there is no problem.
    However if you need to liquidate the collection for financial reasons, or think about the headache this collection will bring to those you will leave behind, then it becomes a concern... especially when you are talking about thousands...
    Although now that we know we can make Duncan the executor of our Prog troves…
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  21. #46
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,721
    I like CDs. Will always.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like CDs. Will always.

  23. #48
    And at the cost today to back fill your collection, so satisfying. I am so thankful to all of those who are divesting themselves of CD's and LP's also. Makes shopping for music really fun.

  24. #49
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    And at the cost today to back fill your collection, so satisfying. I am so thankful to all of those who are divesting themselves of CD's and LP's also. Makes shopping for music really fun.
    Yes. Keep it up.....I filled in a Lot of my Jazz collection with .99 cent Cd's! I have the space for my collection....it doesn't cost anything to store....and I don't need the internet or routers to play my music.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  25. #50
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,338
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only hardcore cd person on here. My attitude is "if it ain't broke why try to fix it?" At some point I'll probably diversify a bit but for now I'm happy to do non serious listening on my computer(ie internet radio and youtube) and cds for when I want to hear the music better or am not at my desktop computer.

    I did decide however that I will stop buying cds when I hit about 5,000 or when I can no longer find them. I figure 5,000 or maybe 4,000 will be enough for me.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •