Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Will CD have retro like vinyls or is it a dead media?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But for REAL music lovers, Prog CDs are the way to go!

I'd like to agree with that but somehow I can't. For one thing many prog fans are vinyl only and many others just do streaming(my guess would be most younger prog fans do only streaming or downloads). For me personally cds are pretty much the only way I listen to full albums. The only thing I don't like about cds are the bonus tracks (so annoying).
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'd like to agree with that but somehow I can't. For one thing many prog fans are vinyl only and many others just do streaming(my guess would be most younger prog fans do only streaming or downloads). For me personally cds are pretty much the only way I listen to full albums. The only thing I don't like about cds are the bonus tracks (so annoying).
    I do miss my old programmable CD player, although back in the day I never used that functionality, I would now sometimes.
    ------------------------------------------

I've been vaccinated five times!

So much is still not available on wax. If they're "vinyl only" now, I bet they weren't in the 90s & '00s.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I never stopped using Winamp as my primary music player! For the past few years, I've been using WACUP, an actively developed Winamp follow-on from one of its original developers.
    I still use the original, because it does everything I need. It has a library, and it plays audio files. That is all I want. My friend who came over one day started laughing when he saw I still used it. That was when I told him I never throw out things that still work. Winamp is just one of many old programs I still use

I think I'd count as a younger fan (30's). As I've only ever lived in tiny rented apartments all my adult life, I've never had the space for a physical collection, CD or vinyl. Compounding this is the fact that by the time I started working and having my own income, music stores had disappeared from where I live. The killing blow was the fact that being a prog fan means in general being a fan of more obscure music, i.e. music that isn't available in music stores for the most part. I haven't been able to buy any physical media by bands I like unless I'm ready to pay for overseas shipping which is really pricey. That, coupled with the fact that I have a nice PC I put together for music production, means I listen to my music on the computer. I have all my albums on a spare hard disk and listen to them locally. A great benefit to this is that I don't need to swap media to listen to an entire album with the bonus tracks. I can just queue up all the songs, sit back, and listen. And I love listening to albums from front to back. It's truly something else

I hate streaming. What I don't like about streaming is that you can't listen if the net goes down, and you never know when albums may get removed from services. I want to always be able to listen to the music I own. I really like Bandcamp. This way I can buy downloads and my money goes straight to the artist.

^^ I also can't stand streaming. I listen to albums, not playlists. Not to mention, the lossy compressed sound leaves something to be desired.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I’m with you!! And the older my ears get, the less I can tolerate compressed files!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ I also can't stand streaming. I listen to albums, not playlists. Not to mention, the lossy compressed sound leaves something to be desired.
    I am amazed that people can stream music and use their phone and seem to have endless battery life doing so. I am not into streaming music at all. I am not into random order playlists. I rather set up my own playlists and use an iPod when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnitd View Post
    I still use the original, because it does everything I need. It has a library, and it plays audio files. That is all I want. My friend who came over one day started laughing when he saw I still used it. That was when I told him I never throw out things that still work. Winamp is just one of many old programs I still use
    👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    So much is still not available on wax. If they're "vinyl only" now, I bet they weren't in the 90s & '00s.
    Unless they are someone who only listens to 70's and 80's prog.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

I ordered one healthy stack of cd's today!

Unless they are someone who only listens to 70's and 80's prog.
    Again, there's a load of '80s stuff not on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I ordered one healthy stack of cd's today!
    Me, deux!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I love streaming along with cd and vinyl. They all serve different purposes. Even at night in my bed in the dark Spotify and Bandcamp with my AT mx50 headphones does the trick for me. It's certainly not the greatest sound, but I'm lost in the music world. Its a very different experience than cranking cd and LPS in my living room. I'm fortunate to have all of this tech. Mahler would have flipped to even stream classical works!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mahler would have flipped to even stream classical works!
    Not if he was paid a fraction of a penny for streams of his own symphonies. Symphonies he spent entire summers writing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I stream music a lot, but I also listen to CDs and vinyl. The majority if my listening is done from my Plex server where I've ripped my music collection to, and I stream to my PC or iPhone. But I also have an Apple Music subscription. Streaming doesn't mean that you can only listen to randomized playlists.