Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will CD have retro like vinyls or is it a dead media?

I'm approaching 5000 CDs myself. I have not listened to a single CD using a CD player in about 15 years. I have it all ripped (to FLAC). I also have a lot of digital purchases as well (mostly lossless). No reason you can't do both. The big advantage of digital is when you can get higher resolution downloads. I have yet to see any 5.1 surround downloads so DVD/Blu-ray seems to still be the only option there. I know Apple announced Atmos support a while back. Hopefully they will be downloadable and DRM free (and in a format I can play on my system).

Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    I still need to move out 15K CD's ;-)
    You never replied to my MP about selling me a couple to me (the Rizet-Besombes, notably)

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Personally, I'm not convinced of that. I mean, there will always be enough people who will want to have something in their hands, a nicely designed LP cover, a CD jewel-case with a booklet or just an original cassette album. Not to mention the timeless beauty of turntables and other components of the classic "hi-fi" equipment.
    TBH, if the CD had never invented the jewel case and stuck with all cardboard sleeves (those mini-LP Cds), it would probably be more apreciated nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    There again we live in times when cassette tape has become hip, so anything is possible.
    Yup, given the humans' consumerism, why even bother to save the planet?? (It's too late anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I wonder what vinyl sales are now compared to it's peak in the 80s/early-90s. Nostalgia and preference for analog sound clearly propelling them ....
    You know, the analog chain is fine, as long as it's AAA....
    But as soon as there is a D in the chain, who cares if there are As in there? (except coming out of your speakers)
    and nowadays how do you start a chain with something alse than a D after playing your acooustic instrument's note?
    Find me an analog recording studio on the planet anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I also think the popularity of streaming is popular amongst many young people, and other age groups of course, who no longer listen to entire albums.
    That was never the case, IMHO... Even in our generations, there were plenty of singles sold (mostly to women) and plenty of people didn't play the LP the entire length. I had plenty of buddies who only ever played one side of their vinyls (and almost never the other). At high school the real full-album listeners/players were the minority. I'm not even sure the chicks listened to all songs on the ABBA albums they had bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It doesn't seem that likely at this point but I'm starting to think cds possibly will have some kind of comeback like vinyl did. However, if it doesn't happen in the next four to five years then it probably won't happen. I think what has to happen first is the excitement for vinyl has to die down.
    I wouldn't be so sure (but don't give a hoot about value), but 4 or 5 years is too son, IMHO. It will take time, but the next consumer generation (early adults) will hate their parent's mediums (downloads, cassettes and vinyls) strictly by the spite/rejection hype and will start prefering their grandparents' media (CD)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    18.9 million Units of CDs sold in the 1st 6 months in the US
    Not surprised at all (and that's less than I figured)... Compared to how many vinyls for the same period?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yes. We keep getting stories about how vinyl (not vinyls) is outselling CDs, but they always mention revenue--because quite a few people are willing to pay $35 for a vinyl copy of an LP that they could get for $15 or less on CD. CDs continue to outsell vinyl.

The really strange thing to me is seeing listings where the new CD costs less than the digital download.
    Well the bands figuire that they sell a lot more downloads so make the majority of income via that "media" by jacking the price up.
    If they bother with physical things at all, it's to please those that would not buy the downloads, but would like to see them following them as well

Download cards at merch tables would be pretty lame. Lol. I don't get the cassette thing either. I remember about ten years ago or so a band I saw was selling cassette tapes for ten dollars. I don't think they sold any but I'm not sure. Cassette tapes are even more rare these days(at least as far as buying them new or used)than cds.
    Mmmhhh!!!... Don't get the cassette thing at all, but let's face it, this is a stupid hipster consumerism thing (TBH, I haven't seen any on sale in record shops)

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    For as long as I have my CD collection I do not care if it's considered dead media or not. Why should I care? I'm long past the "desperately looking for social approval" stage. When you listen to some weird stuff you get used to be your own judge anyway.
    I never cared about bei ng a hipster and actually don't like them
    That's a bit my PoV: who cares about value? And if I can't buy new CDs, I won't buy new music anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    As long as you are listening to them, then there is no problem.
    However if you need to liquidate the collection for financial reasons, or think about the headache this collection will bring to those you will leave behind, then it becomes a concern... especially when you are talking about thousands...
    Plenty of things to lis-quidate (in case I ever need cash) before I get to my CDs... and that will bring next to nothing, so no point of doing so.

I that's just making music serving me instead me being the music servant ;-)
    Yeah, valid point.... but how much time & money "wasted" to master that technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The past 1 1/2 years, they were played on laptops & home stereo's......
    I don't even see car's with disc players so where do ppl play those 17M CDs?
    What I'm fearing is that CD/DVD players will become rare on desktop. It's already becoming rarer to find a laptop with them (our office laptop for teleworking don't have them anymore)

The CD players are now rare in new cars (that's worysome, but I guess I'd have to look for separated CD deck instead of in-built (in dashboard) units are still being made.

And maybe one day in stereo shop, CD decks wcould become rare. Not that I care for this last issue, since I own three hi-end CD decks (plus the hi-fi CD burner), they'll last until I'm gone.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

i found out that if you download from youTube (and its easy) you can add those to your spotify playlist.
    The biggest problem with digital Meidad, is not availability but sound quality. Most tracks you can download from there are no better than 128 kbps. And even if you go to file sharing platforms like soulseek f.e., you can find pseudo 320 kbps mp3s or pseudo flacs by the thousand (many updrade the digital from 128 to 320, which is utter bullship because you just get file-size increase and nothing more). So, unfortunately, the only way to go for a rarity (as with most albums on the NWW list) with additionally decent sound, is physical (vinyl or CD if properly done).

It doesn't seem that likely at this point but I'm starting to think cds possibly will have some kind of comeback like vinyl did. However, if it doesn't happen in the next four to five years then it probably won't happen. I think what has to happen first is the excitement for vinyl has to die down.
    Correct. If we don't see a CD resurgence the next 5-10 years it 'll probably never happen and only few rarities shall maintain incremental value.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    if the CD had never invented the jewel case and stuck with all cardboard sleeves (those mini-LP Cds), it would probably be more apreciated nowadays.
    I'm in complete agreement here. But there was corporate greed driving that market in the early 90s. They wanted a product at the 1/3 of the vinyl cost to be sold for double the price...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 07-23-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Here’s my 2 cents. I’m 65. I haven’t bought any vinyl since around 1989. But I still have all my albums. And a few years ago I replaced my old turntable. However, I only play vinyl when I don’t have the CD. As for CD’S, as long as they are available, I’ll buy them. I still love the physical aspect of listening to music. I also think CD’S sound better than all digital formats but FLAC. As for my car, that has no CD player: I rip all music I buy to iTunes, at 320 rate. With road noise, it’s pretty close to CD quality. I also stream using my Amazon Music Unlimited HD account. I find LOTS of new PROG that way. If I like it enough, I buy the CD, which still sounds better. I’m buying more music than ever! Also a HUGE fan of 5.1. More groups should offer that format. That’s a way to keep the physical media alive. One more thing: my 33 year old son is a huge fan of progressive rock!!! I started him down that path, and now he finds new music for me!!!! What a great feeling to have that common bond!
    So much music....so little time....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    And maybe one day in stereo shop, CD decks wcould become rare. Not that I care for this last issue, since I own three hi-end CD decks (plus the hi-fi CD burner), they'll last until I'm gone.
    This is my fear, but since Blu-Ray players can play CDs, I guess we’re ok for a while longer. I should stash away an extra or two though.

As far as hipness, I think they MUST have come up with a good way to make new CDs easier to unwrap, but haven’t implemented it because people want the hipness-factor of the original CD unwrapping experience!

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    One more thing: my 33 year old son is a huge fan of progressive rock!!! I started him down that path, and now he finds new music for me!!!! What a great feeling to have that common bond!
    That's awesome !

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    That's awesome !
    My son, since he was around 15, a big progressive rock fan. I've taken him to many concerts and he regularly borrows my music. He's 20 now. It's a great way to bond with your son.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My son, since he was around 15, a big progressive rock fan. I've taken him to many concerts and he regularly borrows my music. He's 20 now. It's a great way to bond with your son.
    All in the family! My youngest son and I bond over "Fly From Here", I've mentioned in that thread that we use the suite as part of his SPD sensory therapy. He's only 7 but has great potential. But "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" freaks him out a bit.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only hardcore cd person on here. My attitude is "if it ain't broke why try to fix it?" At some point I'll probably diversify a bit but for now I'm happy to do non serious listening on my computer(ie internet radio and youtube) and cds for when I want to hear the music better or am not at my desktop computer.

I did decide however that I will stop buying cds when I hit about 5,000 or when I can no longer find them. I figure 5,000 or maybe 4,000 will be enough for me.
    As it is, I need a flashlight/torch to go through my CD collection. My 56 year old eyes have trouble with the various fonts and contrasting color schemes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm sticking to cds.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I'm in complete agreement here. But there was corporate greed driving that market in the early 90s. They wanted a product at the 1/3 of the vinyl cost to be sold for double the price...
    And yet, it was in the early 90's that we started seeing alternative to those jewel boxes

The first digipak I saw on sale was Achtung Babby (though I'm not a fan of those anymore, I did think it was totaly cool back then) and the first mini-Lp was Pearl Jam's Vitalogy (then I really became upset at jewxel boxes. (OK, neither of those two CD are still in pristine shape on my shelves, but they're still OK looking.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is my fear, but since Blu-Ray players can play CDs, I guess we’re ok for a while longer. I should stash away an extra or two though.

As far as hipness, I think they MUST have come up with a good way to make new CDs easier to unwrap, but haven’t implemented it because people want the hipness-factor of the original CD unwrapping experience!
    Absofuckinglutely, Jed...

Those wrapping cellophane are a real bloody pain. And I hated how record shop employées opened them with a cutter on the front part of the tray , scratching it badly

As I said, I'm more concerned with disc players inside computers and car decks.

I think hi-end hi-fi shops will stock up on CD decks if they're going out....

But then again VHS players are not made anymore.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I'm sticking to cds.
    Static electricity or misplaced adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    One more thing: my 33 year old son is a huge fan of progressive rock!!! I started him down that path, and now he finds new music for me!!!! What a great feeling to have that common bond!
    That's really cool. I'm 37, and my dad and I have been to see Yes, Kansas, Transatlantic, and Steve Hackett together. He's not a prog fan per se, but he did introduce me to Kansas, Styx, and Pink Floyd (among others).

I have a thousand CDs and YouTube. I still want to buy CDs but I'm not gonna spend time searching for physical product. So I listen to music on YouTube. I actually kinda feel guilty that I'm listening to all these albums by so many bands, for free. I would purchase Budgie's entire discography on CD but not for 25 dollars per album when I can stream on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I would purchase Budgie's entire discography on CD but not for 25 dollars per album when I can stream on YT.
    There's a nice 3-disc set for that price called The MCA Albums 1973-1975 you may like. Never Turn Your Back On A Friend, In For The Kill and Bandolier.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There's a nice 3-disc set for that price called The MCA Albums 1973-1975 you may like. Never Turn Your Back On A Friend, In For The Kill and Bandolier.
    Oh hell yes. Can I find it on Amazon?

Oh hell yes. Can I find it on Amazon?
    Probably, but who knows if they'll still have it in stock. If not, I'd check Discogs. It's a great little set with the three albums in mini-LP gatefold covers and a nice booklet.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Vinyl records have a physical presence that CDs never had and will never have. Even a cheap bad vinyl pressing of some forgotten singer has still kind of an Benjaminesque aura. Strangely tapes (also valuable for VHS) have another type of interesting physicality. I used to have a repair kit for tapes with a slicing device and some special tape to connect the two loose ends. At one point in pre-CD times I had no turntable and bought lots of tapes. Sometimes especially with longer tapes, the shell was too tight. So I broke it open and transferred the original tape to a standard shall, one that you could open with little screws. I still have a big collection of tapes and from time to time I buy tapes, Middle eastern music was very popular on tape and I have some real treasures.
    CDs and DVDs have an anonymous consumer product aspect that I never liked. On the other hand they are perfect devices for librarys. The Paris library system is replacing all jewel boxes by unbreakal plastic folders.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    On the other hand they are perfect devices for librarys. The Paris library system is replacing all jewel boxes by unbreakal plastic folders.
    The Belgian Médiathèque is doing the opposite >> reverting to jewel boxes.

In the late 80's, many smaller cities libraries had transfered the dics and booklet in those "kanguru sleeves" (hard carboard covered by thick coloured & transparent plastic sleeves) which were much sturdier than the jewel boxes, but they proved disastrous (not just financially, but also in terms of labor) once you have to recycle them >> They have to pay to disassemble the materials before getting rid of them in the recycling process.

I'm also sticking with CDs. They have a higher interest rate than regular savings, or money market accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Probably, but who knows if they'll still have it in stock. If not, I'd check Discogs. It's a great little set with the three albums in mini-LP gatefold covers and a nice booklet.
    And I got a text this morning from Amazon. It's robots spam. I didn't order anything from Amazon.

You never replied to my MP about selling me a couple to me (the Rizet-Besombes, notably)

TBH, if the CD had never invented the jewel case and stuck with all cardboard sleeves (those mini-LP Cds), it would probably be more apreciated nowadays.

Yup, given the humans' consumerism, why even bother to save the planet?? (It's too late anyways)

You know, the analog chain is fine, as long as it's AAA....
    But as soon as there is a D in the chain, who cares if there are As in there? (except coming out of your speakers)
    and nowadays how do you start a chain with something alse than a D after playing your acooustic instrument's note?
    Find me an analog recording studio on the planet anymore?

That was never the case, IMHO... Even in our generations, there were plenty of singles sold (mostly to women) and plenty of people didn't play the LP the entire length. I had plenty of buddies who only ever played one side of their vinyls (and almost never the other). At high school the real full-album listeners/players were the minority. I'm not even sure the chicks listened to all songs on the ABBA albums they had bought.

I wouldn't be so sure (but don't give a hoot about value), but 4 or 5 years is too son, IMHO. It will take time, but the next consumer generation (early adults) will hate their parent's mediums (downloads, cassettes and vinyls) strictly by the spite/rejection hype and will start prefering their grandparents' media (CD)

Not surprised at all (and that's less than I figured)... Compared to how many vinyls for the same period?

Well the bands figuire that they sell a lot more downloads so make the majority of income via that "media" by jacking the price up.
    If they bother with physical things at all, it's to please those that would not buy the downloads, but would like to see them following them as well

Mmmhhh!!!... Don't get the cassette thing at all, but let's face it, this is a stupid hipster consumerism thing (TBH, I haven't seen any on sale in record shops)

I never cared about bei ng a hipster and actually don't like them
    That's a bit my PoV: who cares about value? And if I can't buy new CDs, I won't buy new music anymore.

Plenty of things to lis-quidate (in case I ever need cash) before I get to my CDs... and that will bring next to nothing, so no point of doing so.

Yeah, valid point.... but how much time & money "wasted" to master that technology?

What I'm fearing is that CD/DVD players will become rare on desktop. It's already becoming rarer to find a laptop with them (our office laptop for teleworking don't have them anymore)

The CD players are now rare in new cars (that's worysome, but I guess I'd have to look for separated CD deck instead of in-built (in dashboard) units are still being made.

I am not reading messages here. Talk to me at meidad@yahoo.com

And I got a text this morning from Amazon. It's robots spam. I didn't order anything from Amazon.
    More likely, it's somebody spoofing as Amazon. Not actually Amazon.

Well, I still buy CD's, so that the artists can actually get some money for their hard work, as opposed to streaming where they get virtually zero (unless they are well established legacy acts or modern manufactured "superstars"...and even then they get a pittance compared to what they made in the era of physical media). I occasionally buy downloads if it's the only thing available or just to support an artist I like (some artists are releasing older albums that are out of print as downloads only).

My father's 2019 Honda has a CD player, along with the usual infotainment system they put in vehicles now, and he didn't even ask for one. I know they are not standard issue for cars anymore, but it seems they still include them on some models. My 2013 Subaru has one, though I think they were still pretty standard back then (it also has USB ports for playing digital media as well, as does my fathers car).

For me, CD's are just how I've pretty much always bought music since I was 18 years old and my father got his first CD player. Prior to that I did buy vinyl but would immediately copy it to cassette since most cars had cassette players back then. I did the same with CD's until I was able to get a CD player in my car, probably in the early 2000's. I would never want to go back to using cassettes though, as they stretch with use no matter how careful you are with them, and the sound degrades over time.

In any event, I don't expect the market for CD's to last forever, but hopefully for my lifetime (I'm 52).

One hopeful fact about CDs as a playback medium: as long as you have access to a functional computer with an optical drive or a DVD or BluRay player, you will be able to listen to your CDs. I have some older computers with optical drives that still work that I bought in 2001.