Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aphrodite's Child : 666

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Cough! Cough! Infinity!

I was astounded to find out who Irene Papas was, as Infinity was my introduction to her. I only much much later found out she was a movie star who also had a singing career. I wonder how she got talked into doing Infinity.
    My astonishment was exactly the opposite, as I already knew Papas as an actress, when I first heard the album. Still, I don't think she needed that much persuasion to do this. She was an actress, after all, and gave very powerful performances on film.

I like their collaboration on Odes more, though. That's a great and atmospheric re-working of traditional material. Rapsodies is not as interesting, but has its moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ "The Four Horsemen" became a staple of underground and AOR/classic rock radio some unlikely groups such as Rotting Christ would cover it.
    It was blasted in all rock clubs here all over the 80s, so I'm pretty sure it was a familiar listen to the guys from Rotting Christ.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Chariots Of FIre was my introduction to Vangelis also. I used to have a mix cassette that had the Titles Theme (or whatever the actual correct title of the piece is) on it when I was like 10.
    On the album, the b side is a side long extended version of the title theme. Quite good.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I like their collaboration on Odes more, though.
    I love this album. Very beautiful.

Vangelis did 2 albums with Papas that are really good: "Odes" and "Rhapsodies."

I agree; both of those albums are good. And I like "Infinity", too! Especially when she starts imitating a chicken...

Love this album and just wish the 'Greek' mix was rereleased on CD or vinyl. It features longer versions of some songs/different transitions etc. It can be found on Youtube....

Quote Originally Posted by REFaust View Post
    Love this album and just wish the 'Greek' mix was rereleased on CD or vinyl. It features longer versions of some songs/different transitions etc. It can be found on Youtube....

The longer version is on the greek 1975 and early 90s spaceship Vertigo 2xLP editions. Haven't heard the Missing Vinyl one from 2012 though, but I fear it's digitally sourced.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

R.I.P. Irene Papas.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Wow, depending on the news site she was 93 or 96. Either way, a hell of a run and a remarkable life, remarkable woman.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Wow, depending on the news site she was 93 or 96. Either way, a hell of a run and a remarkable life, remarkable woman.
    Copy that. RIP.

Odes and Rhapsodies are both nice albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    R.I.P. Irene Papas.
    Yep. I saw that on the Steve Hoffman forum but was kind of surprised no one mentioned it on here. Anyway, RIP.

Btw, wikipedia says she was 96.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

I have a friend who mostly listens to black metal and gave this album a shot on the assumption that it was some kind of proto-black-metal Venomish thing. He loved it and has recommended it heartily a few times but I've never given it a shot. Might have to do so, with the readiness to bear through the uneven bits.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I have a friend who mostly listens to black metal and gave this album a shot on the assumption that it was some kind of proto-black-metal Venomish thing. He loved it and has recommended it heartily a few times but I've never given it a shot. Might have to do so, with the readiness to bear through the uneven bits.
    Tell him to listen to Witchcraft Destroys Minds And Reaps Souls by Coven. That's the real proto satanic album.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

It's probably because the band Rotting Christ, did some covers out of it (I know the 4 Horsemen f.e.)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Tell him to listen to Witchcraft Destroys Minds And Reaps Souls by Coven. That's the real proto satanic album.
    I'll put them on the list. We're also both big fans of Sacrifice by Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It's probably because the band Rotting Christ, did some covers out of it (I know the 4 Horsemen f.e.)
    Interesting! I really like Rotting Christ but didn't know they'd covered this band. Makes sense with the Greek connection I guess.

Interesting! I really like Rotting Christ but didn't know they'd covered this band. Makes sense with the Greek connection I guess.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Oh I have that album! Just didn't know that song was a cover. RC is one of those bands where the sound shifts so much album to album and song to song that their covers don't tend to jump out as "different" the way some others bands' covers do.

Irene Papas' passing was actually noted in Norwegian mainstream media. Her acting channelling "strong women types", her relationship to Brando plus erstwhile personal bio and singstress merit (Theodorakis and much more) reasonably ascribed for it.

That orgasmic couture of vox ("Infinity") wasn't mentioned, darnit. I always came to think how Vangelis might have heard Man's "Erotica" (1969) when nailing ideas for that tune, although "Infinity" mostly transcends it - definitely in terms of formal concept but also purely as sonic. Great times of freedom in rock creativity; some YT-postings of both "Erotica" and "Infinity" now require affirmations of age if filtered. Too closely proxied towards sexual lore and so forth.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I basically concur. The great parts are wonderful, but there are some serious lulls.
    It seems like most of us agree: some GREAT stuff and some meh stuff.

Since “Best of “ lists are so popular around here, have we listed the stand-out tracks for this album? I’d have to sit down and check track names because I usually listen to it without the track names in front of me.

Love 666. Bought the album shortly after release based on the name Vangelis and the kick-ass inner gatefold art. What a great album for an impressionable barely teen budding music nerd. I wore out the grooves on all four sides and within the last ten years picked up the CD.

I love the variety of styles, sounds and songs, and as a young listener the story had a serious impact on me. The Four Horseman scared the bejesus out of me. I've played a few tracks for my kids and they politely listen, which is better than scream bloody murder about me assaulting their ears.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I see The Four Horsemen mentioned a lot, I didn’t hear it and the rest of 666 until I bought the CD decades later.

All I knew from the album was Aegean Sea, which I heard from Alison Steele The Nightbird on her late night WNEW radio show in the early 70s. Recorded it off the radio onto cassette tape and listened to it a gazillion times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-O-Sound View Post
    I see The Four Horsemen mentioned a lot, I didn’t hear it and the rest of 666 until I bought the CD decades later.

All I knew from the album was Aegean Sea, which I heard from Alison Steele The Nightbird on her late night WNEW radio show in the early 70s. Recorded it off the radio onto cassette tape and listened to it a gazillion times.
    Ah, Ms. Steele…perhaps the best free-form DJ ever. So many nights (at 10PM) I waited with my Koss headphones for her show to start. “What would she start with tonight?” What a delightful web she would weave. Aegean Sea was one of the tracks she played a lot.

I finally picked this up after Vangelis passed. It's quite fun in an uneven way. Some of the zippier shorter vocal songs remind me a bit of Dungen?!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel