Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aphrodite's Child : 666

Aphrodite's Child : 666

There was an old 2014 favorite CD feature ( which was closed)
    So 666 was a record I used to like and listen ŕ lot to in the 70s but haven't listened to in ages. The other Day I found ŕ great NM French copy and while listening to it I redicovered the reasons I liked it in the first place and made some new discoveries.
    Like often, Vangelis compositions are quite linear and simple but with an interesting edge and his typical signature sounds which work very well. What struck me this time was the pronounced mediterrenean flavour mainly in the woodwinds and singing. The opposition of very different elements works perfectly for me and the vinyle is a real killer when cranked up.

For those who might wish to try this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4T_z6ajrM8
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Remaining in the vault for a year after it was recorded and only released after they had disbanded, "666" is definitely the best album of Aphrodite's Child; these Paris-based Greeks had delivered a truly masterpiece. The whole work is based on the Apocalypse of John. What makes this record so great is an amazing variety of styles that Vangelis creates with the individual songs as a composer, there are Beatles-like songs, solemn ballads, haunting rock songs, folklore alongside soundscapes, and sometimes within ten minutes! This record also has good musicians, there are some very nice guitar solos (never too long), Roussos sings in his inimitable falsetto, a first collaboration with Irene Papas, and Vangelis himself on all kinds of keyboards. On 19-minute long "All the Seats Were Occupied", the individual important songs on the album are once again integrated into a wonderful epic. In short, "666" is one of the greatest achievement of the Progressive rock genre.

I love AC both as a psychedelic pop group and this proto progressive gem.

One of the first concept double albums that were popular in the golden era of progressive rock
    Like many that followed I feel that its too long and have trimming of at least one side would have yielded a more consistent and higher quality result

Pretty uneven album but at its best it is also quite amazing.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I basically concur. The great parts are wonderful, but there are some serious lulls.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah, the "skip" button on my CD player's remote gets a workout on this one. But that's the case for a lot of my albums...

A timeless pearl for sure!

Love the album although it is uneven for sure.

I always have to smile a bit hearing it as Demis later became a big star of Schlager music here in Germany and I always remember him that way.
    His first solo album was rather good though.
    Last edited by TheH; 07-23-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Seriously front loaded this one. There is a genius single album here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Exactly. What's bad there is awful, but what's good is absolutely fantastic.

One should own this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pretty much agree with the mixed bag of both amazing and blah.

I was a "new" fan of Vangelis who heard/liked Chariots of Fire (yes really), Antarctica and Direct....so, basically his synth/new age heyday. Saw this in the bin at Plan 9, knew nothing about it but bought it on a whim because "it'll probably sound like those albums too, since Vangelis has such a singular sound!" I like to imagine I looked like a puppy hearing a new command for the first time when it got that first listen.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^ Interesting to reckon how many Greek artists (musicians, poets/writers and filmmakers) who fled to France (and especially to Paris) during the hard years following the military coup in 1967 - and how some of them were very obviously informed by what was going on in the underground culture of that country. Theodorakis and Costa Gavras most famously, of course, but also pop musicians like Kostas Tournas and, somewhat controversially, Nana Mouskouri.

Although AC were principally based in London, they went to Paris to record 666. If you (not meaning you, John Batts) can't hear the influence of Magma in this, then check out more Magma. It's quite amazing, I must say.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Probably the best greek progressive rock album of all times. The overall album may not be well balanced, but the great moments are all in the "masterpiece" league.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think the best thing about is the sheer breadth of imagination displayed and the moxey of cramming it all together on two pieces of plastic as if it all fit together naturally. Very uneven, but admirable. And entertaining too, it's actually quite hilarious in places.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Seriously front loaded this one. There is a genius single album here.
    Actually, it's a double album on vinyl.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Was there a 45 released from the record?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Was there a 45 released from the record?
    Break / Babylon in 1972.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The Four Horsemen is a radio classic here, it is also used in a recent TV commercial in Germany.

^ "The Four Horsemen" became a staple of underground and AOR/classic rock radio even in the US and in the UK, where John Peel championed it. Demis Roussos would continue to perform it throughout his career in various arrangements, and some unlikely groups such as Rotting Christ would cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The Four Horsemen is a radio classic here, it is also used in a recent TV commercial in Germany.
    Yes, it's used in the UK on a car commercial. A real 'WTF?!?' moment when I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I basically concur. The great parts are wonderful, but there are some serious lulls.
    Cough! Cough! Infinity!

I was astounded to find out who Irene Papas was, as Infinity was my introduction to her. I only much much later found out she was a movie star who also had a singing career. I wonder how she got talked into doing Infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Pretty much agree with the mixed bag of both amazing and blah.

I was a "new" fan of Vangelis who heard/liked Chariots of Fire (yes really), Antarctica and Direct....so, basically his synth/new age heyday. Saw this in the bin at Plan 9, knew nothing about it but bought it on a whim because "it'll probably sound like those albums too, since Vangelis has such a singular sound!" I like to imagine I looked like a puppy hearing a new command for the first time when it got that first listen.
    Chariots Of FIre was my introduction to Vangelis also. I used to have a mix cassette that had the Titles Theme (or whatever the actual correct title of the piece is) on it when I was like 10.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Cough! Cough! Infinity!

I was astounded to find out who Irene Papas was, as Infinity was my introduction to her. I only much much later found out she was a movie star who also had a singing career. I wonder how she got talked into doing Infinity.
    She did have an avant-garde streak. It’s a shame Erendira (a wacky, surreal art movie based on a short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez) is so hard to see these days. She’s brilliant in it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    She did have an avant-garde streak. It’s a shame Erendira (a wacky, surreal art movie based on a short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez) is so hard to see these days. She’s brilliant in it.
    Being left wing she exiled during the Junta and surely met Vangelis in Paris or London. Great and beautiful actress. Apparently Mercury wasn't too Happy with this Track, which resulted in the release of the record on Vertigo.