Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would love to see Steven Wilson remix Kansas

Would love to see Steven Wilson remix Kansas

With Robby's passing, it reminded me of the classic progressive Kansas albums of the 70s. But also disappointment with the quality of the CDs. The early CD versions are lacking clarity and definition. While the later remasters are loud and generally brickwalled, flattening the wonderful dynamics.

Considering what Steven's accomplished with the Jethro Tull remixes, I'd love to hear what he could do with at least Masque (a poorly produced and mixed album even on the original vinyl), Leftoverture and Point of Know Return. Ideally, the Kansas catalog from the self-titled album through Audio-Visions. There's probably not much extra from the studio or even good live recordings other than Two For The Show. That remastered and expanded CD still sounds great. So how about releasing all the live recordings that were the source material like UFO's Strangers In The Night. I'd happily buy them.

I would also love to see this. Is he a Kansas fan?

I read somewhere that he was not a big Genesis fan, which is a shame if it's true. The 2008 Genesis remasters left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I read somewhere that he was not a big Genesis fan, which is a shame if it's true. The 2008 Genesis remasters left a lot to be desired.
    I have a hard time believing he would dislike Genesis and, on the other hand, like early ELP enough to remix their first two albums. I certainly hear more Genesis in some of his songs (e.g. "The Watchmaker") than I've EVER heard any hint of an ELP influence in any of his music.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm not keen on Steven Wilson's remix work. Wouldn't want him anywhere near Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    With Robby's passing, it reminded me of the classic progressive Kansas albums of the 70s. But also disappointment with the quality of the CDs. The early CD versions are lacking clarity and definition. While the later remasters are loud and generally brickwalled, flattening the wonderful dynamics.

Considering what Steven's accomplished with the Jethro Tull remixes, I'd love to hear what he could do with at least Masque (a poorly produced and mixed album even on the original vinyl), Leftoverture and Point of Know Return. Ideally, the Kansas catalog from the self-titled album through Audio-Visions. There's probably not much extra from the studio or even good live recordings other than Two For The Show. That remastered and expanded CD still sounds great. So how about releasing all the live recordings that were the source material like UFO's Strangers In The Night. I'd happily buy them.
    I would love to see Kansas' LP get what I like to call 'The Steven Wilson Treatment' (5.1/Atmos surround mix, stereo remix, instrumental mixes & a Flat Transfer of the original mix on a Blu-Ray).
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 07-21-2021 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I'm not keen on Steven Wilson's remix work. Wouldn't want him anywhere near Kansas.
    Only Wilson remixes I have is from the Yes Boxset on vinyl, and they sound wonderful!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Go to the bonus Disc on Miracles Out Of Nowhere DVD and listen to Jeff Glixman playing the Leftoverture masters. It sounds Phenomenal! So clean, so full of energy. A redux would be fantastic. Either from Wilson or even Glixman.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I have a hard time believing he would dislike Genesis and, on the other hand, like early ELP enough to remix their first two albums. I certainly hear more Genesis in some of his songs (e.g. "The Watchmaker") than I've EVER heard any hint of an ELP influence in any of his music.
    It was kinda hard for me to believe too, but around the time of both the Steve Hackett and the Misplaced Childhood remixes he did, he mentioned in some interviews that he wasn't really a fan of Genesis.

^ Yep, SW is more a fan of Hackett solo albums so perhaps the Watchmaker was more of a nod to him and no, he doesn't like Genesis.

As for Kansas I'm pretty happy with the last set of remasters and I'm not sure there would be much demand for such a project sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Only Wilson remixes I have is from the Yes Boxset on vinyl, and they sound wonderful!
    But have you compared them to the original vinyl? I actually found my old LP's sounded better!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ...no, he doesn't like Genesis.
    That's quite a blanket statement there, and again, I am inclined to think there's perhaps a bit of nuance in there. Did he sing "Can-Utility" on "Genesis Revisited 2" purely as a favour to Hackett because he's such a nice guy, despite not really liking Genesis ? "Can-Utility" despite being a little obscure is quite representative of Genesis of that era, so it's hard to believe he'd like just that song from the 1970-75 catalogue. Does he love all of Yes's 1970-77 catalogue which he remixed, ditto early ELP, and have no soft spot for any of what Genesis did during that era ? There's a difference between "I don't like any of what they did" and "I'm not a fan of every single thing they did, in that era or in all their career, but there's a number of songs and some albums that do like, or love".

The notion that "The Watchmaker" would be a tribute to Hackett and not Genesis, would imply that he loves, say, "Voyage Of The Acolyte" but none of the Genesis albums from that period, despite it being largely a by-product of it, as most of (post-Gabriel) Genesis are on it and some of it was even written for Genesis.

Anyway... If Wilson has even gone into more detail about what he likes and dislikes about prog-era Genesis and Genesis in general, I'd be curious to know. I'm sure someone has asked him and the above quote can't possibly be the sum total of what he has said on the matter.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

This is the part of Steven's comment from the press release about the Misplaced Childhood reissue that mentions Genesis:

Not everyone will be aware of my history with Marillion. The short version is that in 1980 when I was 12 years old, completely by chance I attended their first ever concert at the Berkhamstead Civic Centre, literally only a few miles from where I was growing up in Hemel Hempstead. I went along with some friends to see local punk band The Chiltern Volcanos, who we were told were sharing the bill with a band called Marilyn (sic). Anyway, needless to say I loved what "Marilyn" were doing, and from then on started to follow their progress (only Steve Rothery remains from the band I saw that evening). Often compared to Genesis, I personally think they quickly outgrew the comparison and were more successful in incorporating a natural pop sensibility into their progressive rock stylings than the former band (whom I have never been much of a fan anyway, despite loving the solo work of Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel). This reached a peak on Misplaced Childhood, which despite being a 40 minute long conceptual work, spawned several hit singles, including mega-hit Kayleigh. It's also my opinion that the album features some of the finest rock lyrics ever written. If you plan to pick it up I really hope you enjoy the 5.1 interpretation!"
    Some of his music does remind me of Genesis, but I doubt that's due to any conscious effort on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    That's quite a blanket statement there, and again, I am inclined to think there's perhaps a bit of nuance in there. Did he sing "Can-Utility" on "Genesis Revisited 2" purely as a favour to Hackett because he's such a nice guy, despite not really liking Genesis ? "Can-Utility" despite being a little obscure is quite representative of Genesis of that era, so it's hard to believe he'd like just that song from the 1970-75 catalogue. Does he love all of Yes's 1970-77 catalogue which he remixed, ditto early ELP, and have no soft spot for any of what Genesis did during that era ? There's a difference between "I don't like any of what they did" and "I'm not a fan of every single thing they did, in that era or in all their career, but there's a number of songs and some albums that do like, or love".

The notion that "The Watchmaker" would be a tribute to Hackett and not Genesis, would imply that he loves, say, "Voyage Of The Acolyte" but none of the Genesis albums from that period, despite it being largely a by-product of it, as most of (post-Gabriel) Genesis are on it and some of it was even written for Genesis.

Anyway... If Wilson has even gone into more detail about what he likes and dislikes about prog-era Genesis and Genesis in general, I'd be curious to know. I'm sure someone has asked him and the above quote can't possibly be the sum total of what he has said on the matter.
    Well he became friends with Hackett and they guested on each others projects quite a bit so it was mostly done out of that friendship I think. I remember him saying that he thought Can Utility was the best track on Foxtrot. He has also been on record as saying that he only remixes albums that he actually likes.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    i used to feel the same way based on hearing a couple of his remixes on a car stereo, I recently received Jethro Tull's A and Stormwatch remixes along with XTC's Oranges & Lemons and they sounded fabulous through my home system. I have since become a believer and started accumulating some more of his work (Chicago II is fantastic!). I'd love to hear what he could do with early Kansas.

As for 5.1 i could give a rats arse.
    Last edited by progholio; 07-27-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Call me crazy, but I love the sound of the first five studio albums just as they are. I have the original LPs and early CD issues. SfA and Leftoverture are particularly wonderful to these ears. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If others are interested in 5.1, I say more power to 'em; it's just not for me.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Yeah, love Steven Wilson's remixes. They've enhanced every album he's done. Would love a 5:1 mix of Leftoverture and Point of No Return.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I would also love to see this. Is he a Kansas fan?

I doubt he is a KS fan. In fact, I've never heard him say anything about liking any American prog acts. He did say that about Genesis....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I doubt he is a KS fan. In fact, I've never heard him say anything about liking any American prog acts. He did say that about Genesis....

He did! Dunno why people are so surprised, they arnt for everybody. Dont hear anything that sounds like Genesis in his catalogue either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^ Yep, SW is more a fan of Hackett solo albums so perhaps the Watchmaker was more of a nod to him and no, he doesn't like Genesis.

As for Kansas I'm pretty happy with the last set of remasters and I'm not sure there would be much demand for such a project sadly.
    Are we missing context here? Perhaps SW isn’t a fan of remixing pre-1980 Genesis, especially the 5.1 stuff. It’s one thing to say that he doesn’t like Genesis, and another to discuss producing another remix of Trespass for example. While there could be gain from an SW remix of those Genesis pieces, there are many bands higher in priority, not to mention the Genesis mafia not willing to admit their stuff could be better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The SW remix of Chicago 2, shows SW’s appreciation for American eclectic and progressive music. I don’t want to get into what is prog.

Banned
    know some people here, unhappy as they are with the current Genesis remixes, were hoping Steve Wilson would one day sprinkle his fairy dust on the Genesis catalogue but that seems highly unlikely given this statement posted today on his Facebook page:

"This time last year I was asked to create a 5.1 mix of the classic mid 80's number one album "Misplaced Childhood" by my buddies Marillion, and I'm happy to hear this mix will now be included on blu-ray as part of a special 5 disc deluxe edition, scheduled for 9th July on Parlophone. Also included is a remix of B-side "Lady Nina", in both stereo and 5.1 (the main album remix only appears in 5.1 form). I understand Parlophone / Warner Music Group plan to issue all 8 of the bands EMI era albums in similar form, but please note that I won't be doing 5.1 mixes for all these, alas I simply don't have the time, but I do have the tapes for Brave, and plan to do that one when I can (if you know the album I'm sure you'll agree with me that it should sound pretty epic in surround if I don't mess it up!)

Not everyone will be aware of my history with Marillion. The short version is that in 1980 when I was 12 years old, completely by chance I attended their first ever concert at the Berkhamstead Civic Centre, literally only a few miles from where I was growing up in Hemel Hempstead. I went along with some friends to see local punk band The Chiltern Volcanos, who we were told were sharing the bill with a band called Marilyn (sic). Anyway, needless to say I loved what "Marilyn" were doing, and from then on started to follow their progress (only Steve Rothery remains from the band I saw that evening). Often compared to Genesis, I personally think they quickly outgrew the comparison and were more successful in incorporating a natural pop sensibility into their progressive rock stylings than the former band (whom I have never been much of a fan anyway, despite loving the solo work of Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel). This reached a peak on Misplaced Childhood, which despite being a 40 minute long conceptual work, spawned several hit singles, including mega-hit Kayleigh. It's also my opinion that the album features some of the finest rock lyrics ever written. If you plan to pick it up I really hope you enjoy the 5.1 interpretation!"
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...enesis.668765/

Banned
    Wilson says he's acutely aware of who he's doing these remixes for, of who's going to listen to them and what they want from them. "I'm primarily doing them for the people who already know and love these records. It would be wonderful to think there's a potential new audience that might appreciate something because it's been remixed and made to sound a bit vivid for modern listening. But I think 99 percent of the audience are people who have bought these records at least once before, if not three or four times."

The artist can be an important contributor to the process. "They have the prerogative, of course, to change their own work," Wilson says. "You don't want to mess with someone else's vision, but all the same I think often it's better that the artist isn't too closely involved in the project, at least during the main mixing process."

One artist refused to include a version of a classic track with seven or so minutes of the band improvising beyond the original fade; another vetoed an out-take because he hadn't written it. Wilson has to be a diplomat in addition to his technical duties.

He sums up his approach as being devoutly faithful to the original mix when he's working in stereo, and creating something fresh when he's working in surround. "When you're working in digital and remixing — at very high resolution, I should say, from beautifully transferred copies of the analogue tapes — then detail that wasn't there before will come out anyway, almost without necessarily changing anything. Suddenly, you hear things that you didn't hear before. When you get to surround sound, that's even more the case, because you have this space and these extra dimensions. Now you can hear things that you would never have heard in stereo. There's a whole psychology going on with the way people connect with remixing. It can be quite controversial, and I think if I've achieved anything, I've minimised the controversy by doing something that people can at least appreciate, even if they would still rather hear the original mix."
    https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...sic-albums?amp

Even if Genesis wanted SW to remix (BTW, he did remix with Phil Collins on Sowing the Seeds of Love, Tears for Fears), he would like make the stereo versions closer to the original, and do something quite similar to what Genesis did on the surround, which would correct the subjective problems people had with the original stereo remixes. But again, not going to happen, and as far as I am concerned the 5.1 SACDs of pre 1981 Genesis are good enough. SW remixing Kansas would be great, and if the band wants it, I think it will happen because while SW has his favorites, he appears to be most positive about the desires of a band and its audience. It’s just great that his favs of 80’s music align with mine. Someone suggested he do a remix of Jellyfish, wow that would be great in 5.1.

Few comments:
    1. Who gives a damn if Wilson likes Genesis? He doesn't have to like them. What does it matter and why is it so impossible to comprehend.

2. Jellyfish (especially Spilt Milk) is mixed perfectly. There is no need to remix it.

3. Kansas in 5.1 would be great, but can we get some other people to do remixes...maybe Stephen Taylor who is doing the Be Bop a d Van der graaf stuff?

Oh wait. I missed that you said Jellyfish in 5.1... that would be awesome! But the stereo mix is fantastic as is

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Few comments:
    1. Who gives a damn if Wilson likes Genesis? He doesn't have to like them. What does it matter and why is it so impossible to comprehend.

2. Jellyfish (especially Spilt Milk) is mixed perfectly. There is no need to remix it.

3. Kansas in 5.1 would be great, but can we get some other people to do remixes...maybe Stephen Taylor who is doing the Be Bop a d Van der graaf stuff?
    1. Agreed, but people think the Davis stereo remixes need to be redone. But the focus should be on Kansas.
    2. Jellyfish is fantastic, and I saw them live twice, and those shows were some of the best I ever saw around 1990. I remember how the bass and drums sounded live at Gaston Hall at Georgetown. A high res version with unconstrained mastering would sound more live on my system. 5.1 would be even better.
    3. Why? It really depends on what bands want and how good the hearing is of remaining band members are with working with a remixer. The band itself being involved can make a real difference (according to SW). This comment about hearing is mine.